Author Topic: stopping ForumMaster from destroying BattleMaster  (Read 133571 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I would like to add a rule like:

-Do not write the following types of posts "My character thinks xxx about yyy" or "My character's character is like xxx" and of the like.

Why?

I think the main issue is IC/OOC separation. I often see people say "I think xxx about yyy is wrong", and then you don't know it's their character thinking, them thinking zzz would have been a better choice then xxx given what their character knows, or them thinking xxx is OOC-ly wrong. That leads to problems and aggressiveness in the long run.

When the separation is made clear, then it's ok. I think the forum is the perfect place to say things like "I never understood why Kepler Keplerson torched this city in last year's war - it clearly cost them as they could have taken it over instead", "My character Kepler Keplerson was not so much interested in new lands but mostly to punish the City Lord for an insult he made to him a few months before".
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Maybe you're right in that it's harmless... Idk, what do others think?

egamma

Saying "my character thinks xxx about yyy" is removing something from the game that should remain in the game. People don't bother to roleplay their character as a schemer; they just come on the forums and say "my character is scheming, ha ha ha". It's a shortcut and cuts out the players they are playing with, in the game. This is exactly why Tom didn't like the forums (well, this plus the negativity and whining and insults). If you want others to know what your character is thinking, have your character tell others what he is thinking, in game. Or, post a roleplay with your character asking NPCs certain questions or sending out messengers all day or whatever.

The forums are NOT the game. If you want to play a forum game, go down to the OTHER games section and play werewolf or find a link to some other game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Saying "my character thinks xxx about yyy" is removing something from the game that should remain in the game. People don't bother to roleplay their character as a schemer; they just come on the forums and say "my character is scheming, ha ha ha". It's a shortcut and cuts out the players they are playing with, in the game.

I don't see this.

First of all, it seems to me that it doesn't "cut out the players...in the game", it cuts out the would-be schemer from the players in the game. Because if the whole point is to take a shortcut to give characterization to their character, and the only people who will be seeing that are the ones on the forum...then most people won't know about this supposed character trait, and it won't matter.

Second of all, I have never seen anyone do this. To the best of my memory, I have only ever seen people explain their character's thoughts when people have posted explicitly stating that they are either confused about what the character thinks, or that they think the character thinks something else. (Or when there's a thread that's just generally people giving their character's opinions about something...which, again, seems pretty darn harmless.)

To me, this seems to be one more instance of trying to prevent behaviour that has never actually been a problem.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Players who want to become heavily invested in the game usually find their way to the forum, even if they just lurk like me. Players who aren't in the forum usually won't become committed to the game anyway. It's absolutely hilariously to alienate your most loyal players to hope that it would some how make the come-and-go crowd of players feel more comfortable.

not true at all. there has always been number of players who are very committed to game while ignoring forums. it is my feeling that such base of players is diminishing as many feel to have been out of game if not visiting forums, but still dislike forums.

the sole statement that players who like forums are the most active ones, and depriving them of forums will cause their departure and ultimate degradation of the game seems to imply two things:
- players who are active on forums are more worthy and important than others
- players who are active on forums actually like forums more than the game, so they will leave if forums will be closed.

on contrary i have my very personal feeling that players who become too active in forums become worse in-game players, and that complete closing of forums would give much more incentive for in-game play to all.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Let's please not continue this discussion and focus on the setting of rules for the locals. I think you guys were heading in a good direction.

Also, probably some more people will have to volunteer for moderatorship of the locals.

Gustav Kuriga

I've honestly given up. I have paused all my characters, put them into cold storage. I'm not sure if I'm going to delete my account or not, but in all probability I will. And do you guys want to know why? People like Stue, who have this arrogant belief that they are better in-game players than people like me who visit the forums. Well, congratulations Stue, you're right, I guess I'm not a better player since I'm leaving the game and you're not.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
not true at all. there has always been number of players who are very committed to game while ignoring forums. it is my feeling that such base of players is diminishing as many feel to have been out of game if not visiting forums, but still dislike forums.
Out of curiosity, how do players who ignore the forums get the feeling that if they aren't participating on the forums, that they are being left out? I mean, if they ignore the forums, then how do they know they are being left out? How do they feel that participation on the forums is mandatory, if they never read it? Are people in-game constantly telling their realm-mates to come visit the forums so they can participate? Are they telling the people in their realms that their war strategy will be determined via forum-based discussion?

If they aren't reading it, then how can they develop an opinion that participating in it is so important?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Meh. I've read each post here and found it more and more disheartening. And now people are potentially quitting over this thread? So now, allegedly, there are people quitting because of the forums and people quitting because of anti-forum sentiments. Neither is good. Can't we just play the game without having to quit because of what someone else on the forum? I really dislike seeing people quit because of what other players have said. There's been enough forum drama for BM's lifespan already. -.-

Chaotrance13

Meh. I've read each post here and found it more and more disheartening. And now people are potentially quitting over this thread? So now, allegedly, there are people quitting because of the forums and people quitting because of anti-forum sentiments. Neither is good. Can't we just play the game without having to quit because of what someone else on the forum? I really dislike seeing people quit because of what other players have said. There's been enough forum drama for BM's lifespan already. -.-

I don't think he was the only one. While we won't actually know as he just left suddenly, Ender (the player of the Neill family) deleted his account as well in the past week. This is now going way too far.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Pretty much all that's left to do on the forum is nag about the forum, or the game. There's no place to talk about the good stuff anymore. Like war and conquest and lots of both.

egamma

Pretty much all that's left to do on the forum is nag about the forum, or the game. There's no place to talk about the good stuff anymore. Like war and conquest and lots of both.

Besides in your realm, your guilds, your religions, and your current region, you mean? Have we all really forgotten that the game has a messaging system?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Besides in your realm, your guilds, your religions, and your current region, you mean? Have we all really forgotten that the game has a messaging system?
You are missing the whole point. He wants to talk about it OOC, not IC, with his fellow players on the matter.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
So no one has any feedback on my attempt at creating some guidelines for forum users? Should we take it to Tom then?