Author Topic: stopping ForumMaster from destroying BattleMaster  (Read 132036 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
If the Mods are working on their own set of rules, there's not much we need to be talking about. More discussion about what rules would be good and why will probably benefit the Mods just so they can see a range of ideas and feedback, but that's about it.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Yes, like the executive decision to close the locals, because that went over so well with people.

As Anaris said, we do need to learn to get along without needing to fear a thunderbolt, because otherwise people will just ignore etiquette once they feel they can get away with it.

It would be lovely if the atmosphere here improved. Long may efforts to ensure that continue.

I think half the problem here though is that we all think we have the solution to BattleMaster's problems or what should be done next. I like that Tom chimes in here on the forum and we can discuss things with him and the devs, but it feels like there are getting to be too many cooks in the kitchen. Maybe it's even partly Tom and the dev's fault for trying to be so accomodating to the player base with every change and move they make. But I, for one, would be quite happy to see Tom and the devs just get on with things with much less of the player input. It's nice that we're all so passionate about BattleMaster, but it feels like we're all trying to pull the game in different directions. It doesn't feel like it's helping.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:04:20 PM by Revan »

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
You know what, I agree with Revan. I think many of us here forget that this is a free game, and a very unique and compelling one at that, yet we talk and act like we are entitled to have all our ideas and opinions worked into the game. I remain of the opinion that there is nothing majorly wrong with the game itself, and that a lot of the current problems could be solved if we would stop looking to Tom and the devs to make it all better, and start looking at ourselves to make some improvements.

egamma

If the Mods are working on their own set of rules, there's not much we need to be talking about. More discussion about what rules would be good and why will probably benefit the Mods just so they can see a range of ideas and feedback, but that's about it.

It's nice to see that the basic rules that we've come up with are basically a match for what you came up with--that shows that we're on the right track and that the rules make sense.

The only point we're still discussing is what sort of policy to have around IG messages being posted to the forums. Should we allow island-wide messages to be posted? What about messages that your character sent? What about death roleplays? etc.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
It's nice to see that the basic rules that we've come up with are basically a match for what you came up with--that shows that we're on the right track and that the rules make sense.

The only point we're still discussing is what sort of policy to have around IG messages being posted to the forums. Should we allow island-wide messages to be posted? What about messages that your character sent? What about death roleplays? etc.

As I already responded to Anaris, I think there is value in having an all-encompassing restriction. Roughly, here are the reasons:

1. Black and white rules are much easier to enforce than rules with exceptions and gray areas that are open to interpretation.

2. There is no positive argument I can think of the permit it.

3. Banning all such quotations helps to emphasize and enforce the separation between the forum and the game.

4. It helps to prevent people using the forum as a way to spread propaganda that should remain IC, and whose spread should be bound by the restrictions on communication in the game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
The forums are NOT the game. If you want to play a forum game, go down to the OTHER games section and play werewolf or find a link to some other game.

The list Geronus posted is an excellent start. I think the above should be turned into a rule as well, something along the lines of "do not post anything to the forum that others need to know in order to play with your characters. always assume that other players don't read the forums and that they can still interact fully with you in-game." - basically, the core idea is exactly that: The forums are not the game, they are not a part of the game, and you don't get to make them, or they'll be taken away (again).

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Out of curiosity, how do players who ignore the forums get the feeling that if they aren't participating on the forums, that they are being left out?

Because they know they exist.

If you know all your buddies go to a party, you can feel left out, even if you've never been to that particular party before.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
My main worry with guidelines like these—particularly #2 and #3—is that Tom will see them as "just another set of rules" that people can game and lawyer their way around.

I actually like them.

I would merge them into one, because they are pretty much the same, and I would remove the realm limit:

Don't post stuff to the forum that is not already public knowledge in-game.

Maybe with a footnote that explains that "public knowledge" doesn't mean every single character has received a message with this info, but that every character COULD HAVE learnt about it. You know, it's not a secret, it's not a private discussion, it's not a current local thing. It could've spread around by the time you post it to the forum.

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Well I know IRC or whatever it is called is there to chat with others yet I have never used it nor do I ever intend to. I don't feel I am missing out on anything.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Well, I was one of the first people to use and embrace the forums when they started.  I don't post that much anymore because I don't play anymore.  I got busy.

The roleplaying forum was fun.  To me, it is not about playing the game outside of the game, but definitely a kind of metagaming that is needed.  It is us, the players, talking about our characters. Even in a face-to-face game with friends you usually get play-angry (not really angry) at players who do things against your character.  It is part of the fun.

Some of us enjoy arguing with other players about why a war started or whose character is the villain in the story.  The discussions can be heated, but they are interesting.

I have not seen the forum become more hostile than the d-list was.

What makes people mean and hostile and negative is not ForumMaster or the Roleplaying subforums.  Hostility starts when someone accuses someone else of cheating or powergaming or bad roleplaying. 

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: stopping ForumMaster from destroying BattleMaster
« Reply #415: September 05, 2013, 05:03:18 AM »
It would be lovely if the atmosphere here improved. Long may efforts to ensure that continue.

I think half the problem here though is that we all think we have the solution to BattleMaster's problems or what should be done next. I like that Tom chimes in here on the forum and we can discuss things with him and the devs, but it feels like there are getting to be too many cooks in the kitchen. Maybe it's even partly Tom and the dev's fault for trying to be so accomodating to the player base with every change and move they make. But I, for one, would be quite happy to see Tom and the devs just get on with things with much less of the player input. It's nice that we're all so passionate about BattleMaster, but it feels like we're all trying to pull the game in different directions. It doesn't feel like it's helping.

You know what, I agree with Revan. I think many of us here forget that this is a free game, and a very unique and compelling one at that, yet we talk and act like we are entitled to have all our ideas and opinions worked into the game. I remain of the opinion that there is nothing majorly wrong with the game itself, and that a lot of the current problems could be solved if we would stop looking to Tom and the devs to make it all better, and start looking at ourselves to make some improvements.

I agree with both.
Sometimes is good to have someone that simply put a end on all discussions and keep it in the right path and we have a community that accept it.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #416: September 06, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »
Hello all. I have not read all 28 pages of this thread and have not played the game for months but wanted to throw in my thoughts regardless.

Things I like about the forum:

* General news on what is happening on various islands. Those facebook updates. Helps me decide where to create my next character. Love it.Twords the end of my time playing BM those threads were the only things I used the local forums for.

* Getting help from others. Things that range from "Where's the button?" to "How can I maximize my regions taxes?" Tutorials, guides, personal advice.

* Having a place to post new feature ideas, requests and discussions.

* Getting info on what the Dev team is working on and being able to provide input.

* The Magistrates.

At the same time, I like one stop shopping. I would prefer to see as much of this functionality brought into the game as possible. I would rather have an in game method of submitting feature requests, tracking current wars on all islands, and getting help from others.

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #417: September 25, 2013, 03:35:21 AM »
Well I've found that since the locking of the locals forums, I find less and less reason to even visit the forums. Overall my experience of the forums lately is rather boring.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #418: September 25, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »
Well I've found that since the locking of the locals forums, I find less and less reason to even visit the forums. Overall my experience of the forums lately is rather boring.

I've found that since the locking of the locals forums, I find less and less reason to even visit the game. Overall my experience of Battlemaster lately is rather boring.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #419: September 25, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »
I think the end of 'Forummaster' is the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread or bottled beer.

Good form.