Author Topic: stopping ForumMaster from destroying BattleMaster  (Read 132090 times)

egamma

Re: stopping ForumMaster from destroying BattleMaster
« Reply #420: September 25, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »
I've found that since the locking of the locals forums, I find less and less reason to even visit the game. Overall my experience of Battlemaster lately is rather boring.

Was it the game that was exciting before, or was it the forums?

And, have you tried putting the time and effort previously put into the forums, into the game?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:28:11 PM by egamma »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #421: September 25, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
Was it the game that was exciting before, or was it the forums?

And, have you tried putting the energy previously put into the forums, into the game?

Are you still of the mistaken impression that people have one pool of energy, that they can use up if they frequent the forum, and not have any left over for the game?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #422: September 25, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
I think the end of 'Forummaster' is the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread or bottled beer.

If the forum dies, it will be just one more step towards the game dying.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #423: September 25, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »
Closing down the forums also did not brought back more content into the game itself, which was one of the arguments used against the forums.
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #424: September 25, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
If the forum dies, it will be just one more step towards the game dying.

I do not think the forum needs to die, by any means, but a more controlled environment with less IG content (and ooc blending of said content) is definitely an improvement over the state of affairs from when I departed the game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #425: September 25, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
Are you still of the mistaken impression that people have one pool of energy, that they can use up if they frequent the forum, and not have any left over for the game?

As a matter of fact, no matter how much you deny it, people have one pool of time that they divide up between various parts of their life.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #426: September 25, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
As a matter of fact, no matter how much you deny it, people have one pool of time that they divide up between various parts of their life.

Time, yes. But egamma has been consistently using the argument of limited energy, not time.
Timothy Collett

egamma

« Reply #427: September 25, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »
Time, yes. But egamma has been consistently using the argument of limited energy, not time.

Okay, is "time and effort" more acceptable to you?

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #428: September 25, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »
When I have the time and there are no new messages in game or the need to write some I would check only the Dwilight thread. Read some of the topics and perhaps post a reply. I found it enjoyable as a supplement when things were slow. Never in my case did the forums rule my experience of the game.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #429: September 25, 2013, 08:26:44 PM »

We should argue more about definitions of words and how they improve arguments on a forum...  You understood the meaning behind what was said but you argue about it because the word energy was used instead of time?

I think you argue just because you enjoy it.  I have not seen a positive thing from you in a long time.  I believe you should reconsider your attitude towards the world around you.  Not meant to be offensive, but consider the negative energy you put out to everyone (no not time... Energy).  Hubris and negativity.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #430: September 25, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
We should argue more about definitions of words and how they improve arguments on a forum...  You understood the meaning behind what was said but you argue about it because the word energy was used instead of time?

The meaning of words is important. Just because you think they mean the same thing, doesn't mean everyone does.

I think you argue just because you enjoy it.  I have not seen a positive thing from you in a long time.  I believe you should reconsider your attitude towards the world around you.  Not meant to be offensive, but consider the negative energy you put out to everyone (no not time... Energy).  Hubris and negativity.

Well, I do somewhat enjoy a good argument—so long as it is without rancor—but I also object to the idea that the forum is draining anything from the game.

Furthermore, I don't think I've ever seen you say anything positive about me. And I can't recall the last thing I've seen you say anything positive, period.

Meanwhile, I've been helping newbies in the Helpline forum, trying to improve Tom's mood after very few people shared his M&F crowdfunding campaign (though you couldn't have seen that, since it was in a forum you don't have access to), working on making the Wiki less spambot-infested, and responding to various feature requests. And that's just in the past couple of days. And doesn't even address the coding work I've done on the game.

What have you done to improve BattleMaster lately? Besides insult people publicly on the forum (because apparently you think that improves things)?
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #431: September 25, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
If there is no message, why don't you write one? People complain all the time when they themselves do nothing.

If nothing is happening, you should be trying to change that shouldn't you be?

How did people even play without the forum in the first place?

Also, if you really want a forum that badly, why don't you make one yourself to discuss things you want to discuss. Tom won't be able to stop you in your own forum :p

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #432: September 25, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »
I of course said when there is no message or the need to write one....then I look to the forums. Do not put the burden on me to stimulate the game. I do my fair share and am by far the most active in RP for the Farronite Republic.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #433: September 25, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »
How did people even play without the forum in the first place?

There was the discussion list before the forum.

Also, the fact that one can play without the forum does not in any way change the amount of frustration that results from losing a forum that has become established.

Also, if you really want a forum that badly, why don't you make one yourself to discuss things you want to discuss. Tom won't be able to stop you in your own forum :p

Sure, and if you want a given feature, you're welcome to make your own BattleMaster clone that has it in. Good luck getting enough people to make it worthwhile, though.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #434: September 25, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
Sure, and if you want a given feature, you're welcome to make your own BattleMaster clone that has it in. Good luck getting enough people to make it worthwhile, though.

You do know people can just make a forum without making their own game right? They can just make their personal forum where they can discuss BM stuff :p

I was actually in one although it only had 5-10 people or so. Discussing mainly about creating a religion and stuff.