Author Topic: Worth an OOC ban?  (Read 15434 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Worth an OOC ban?
« Topic Start: May 03, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
An incident occurred in Arcaea (FEI) this past day and I'm curious as to whether people thought it warranted an OOC ban.

Arcaea is at war with Greater Aenilia and on turn change Arcaea received a notice that a relation of an Aenilian noble had arrived in the Far East and joined Arcaea. Two minutes after that, literally two minutes, that noble attempted to assassinate one of the Arcaean council members.

So basically, this person had one of their characters emigrate to a realm another one of their characters was at war with, so he would appear in their capital, and immediately attacked one of their council members. Worthy of an OOC ban?

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Re: Worth an OOC ban?
« Reply #1: May 03, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
Why not just ban them IC? It is not that implausible that the family member wrote to him, told him to infiltrate the realm and try do some damage.

Jinsyn

• Knight
  • time - the indefinite moment eternal
    • View Profile
    • Facebonk
« Reply #2: May 03, 2011, 08:11:10 PM »
2011-05-01      Delivo      Deported to Far East by Gorham Pearson, Inquisitor of Giblot.

It was not an intentional emigration; thus it does not warrant an OOC ban. The character could have simply been upset over recent events and decided to lash out at someone in his destination realm. That he has a relative who just so happens to be in an enemy realm seems purely coincidental.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 03, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »
Did he get to choose which realm he joined when he arrived, or was it random?

And trust the Aenilian ruler to defend him. ;)

Jinsyn

• Knight
  • time - the indefinite moment eternal
    • View Profile
    • Facebonk
« Reply #4: May 03, 2011, 08:15:40 PM »
No idea, but you misunderstand my point because I am not defending him.

OOC ban is not warranted; IC ban is warranted.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 03, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
Why not just ban them IC? It is not that implausible that the family member wrote to him, told him to infiltrate the realm and try do some damage.

If that's so, then at the bare minimum it's extremely tacky.  That wasn't an "infiltration" attempt.  Less than a minute after arriving he attacked a Council member, without a word to anyone.  This is swearing allegiance to a realm and immediately committing treason.

And yeah, I'm going to have the Judge ban anyone from that family who tries to join Arcaea.  It's either completely OOC, or IC the family is so "close-knit" that they're willing to commit treason in under a minute.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 03, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
2011-05-01      Delivo      Deported to Far East by Gorham Pearson, Inquisitor of Giblot.

It was not an intentional emigration; thus it does not warrant an OOC ban. The character could have simply been upset over recent events and decided to lash out at someone in his destination realm. That he has a relative who just so happens to be in an enemy realm seems purely coincidental.

Depends on if he gets to pick the realm he lands in, and I'm pretty sure you do get to pick the realm.  If not, then yeah, just quirky luck.  If he does get to pick, there's no way in hell I'm believing it's a coincidence that the happens to wind up in the worst enemy of the realm of his other character.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 03, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »
Depends on if he gets to pick the realm he lands in, and I'm pretty sure you do get to pick the realm.  If not, then yeah, just quirky luck.  If he does get to pick, there's no way in hell I'm believing it's a coincidence that the happens to wind up in the worst enemy of the realm of his other character.

I don't think it warrants an OOC ban even if he did get to chose. To my knowledge there's no a rule that says you have to join a realm with good intentions, so joining a realm to cause trouble isn't cheating, like an OOC-ban would indicate. It's just not nice. And probably a little cheap. 

In short: Treason, yes. Cheating, no. IC-ban him.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 03, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »
Oh, we are.  And executing if we can.  I still think it's tacky to swear allegiance to a realm and less than a minute later attack it.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 03, 2011, 10:43:20 PM »
If that's so, then at the bare minimum it's extremely tacky.  That wasn't an "infiltration" attempt.  Less than a minute after arriving he attacked a Council member, without a word to anyone.  This is swearing allegiance to a realm and immediately committing treason.

Yep, just used the term 'infiltrate' to cover the way that character to realm allegiances work.

And yeah, I'm going to have the Judge ban anyone from that family who tries to join Arcaea.  It's either completely OOC, or IC the family is so "close-knit" that they're willing to commit treason in under a minute.

Yeah sure. Put together something like "The family of Kepler has shown a wilful intent to harm the realm of Arcaea. They are struck from the lists of noble families welcome here."

This seems very unlikely. After a long boat trip, the character decides to randomly slash at a richly-dressed noble?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 04, 2011, 07:09:42 AM »
If his intent was to harm Arcaea, he was a fool. As a member of the realm he can be banned while still in prison, and then face the possibility of an execution without having to be apprehended a second time. To be honest it would have been MORE IC had he not been deported, then at least you could claim his assistance was requested by the family and he immigrated to assist. Now it just appears that the player decided that since he was deported, he might as well assist the family member already on the island.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 04, 2011, 10:13:51 AM »
And probably a little cheap.

More than a little.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 04, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »

It's good enough for me. Yeah it's not great, but plausible enough.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 04, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
Heh.  The guy's now claiming that he's been trying to get himself executed for a while (and evidently been frustrated that everyone keeps deporting him).  So, basically, suicide by Judge, and he'd gotten wind that Arcaea did not at all mind executing people.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 04, 2011, 08:11:55 PM »
Deport him, just out of spite.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner