Author Topic: The Panther Claw Academy (in game learning centre for noobies/mediocres)  (Read 6625 times)

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
The Panther Claw Academy is a guild in Fallangard who educates and tests the knowledge of it's nobles.
For new players and inexperienced nobles (honour below 20, max unit below 50) the rank of scout is made, where every noble is taught in the basics of the game and troop leading.
They will be sent ahead of the army to scout and are thus also trained in practice how to responsibly travel from a to b, gather information on the enemy, safely return to the army and fight battles alongside the main army.
Other tasks for scouts is breaking up the infantry line of the enemy in two waves when defending a fort for example, by engaging the enemy outside of the walls, backed by archer fire(depending on unit type chosen).
Once passed for the troop leader exam(a little more advanced knowledge is required here), one can fully join the army as a troop leader responsibly.
Marshals, region lords and other Military leaders are further educated.

The Academy will be mandatory and by taking the test the realm ensures and guarantees quality while offering a quick and efficient introduction and training in the game for noobies.
Those who are experienced in the game basically take one test and gain the rank of troop leader, no further education required.
The lower ranks focus on noobie training, and new players are actively motivated to join the guild where they are helped and guided as much as possible to understand the game while immediately setting and reaching goals, who would otherwise not be there for new players.

Newbie quests have been discussed as a mechanic, i am trying to work it out in game.
Any suggestions and help in any way is very welcome.(that is why i am posting it here)

I am especially looking for your ideas of what exactly a new player should knowing order to handle the game by them selves as at least a troop leader.

I hope to narrow things down as much as possible into clear exam standards and hope to write along side others, many guides for noobies and eventually for higher positions and more complex tasks, like Military leaders and region lords(not necessarily individually).

For more information check out the wiki page.
But most of all, come join Fallangard and the Academy!

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Panther_Claw_Academy

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:34:36 AM by Bhranthan »
Brutus the Brute - Kleptes the Thief - Atreus the Brave - Alucina the Lucid

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Not a bad idea, the only thing I could never agree with is the mandatory part. As far as hints go, as a realm I think it's important to get a good player retention. Guilds such as this could be helpful but also limit newbies or drive them away. The function of scout, for instance, might not gain players H/P quickly enough to their tastes and hamper them in developing their characters.

But again, not a bad idea :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Reminds me a bit of the old Academy of Knowledge guild we used to have on EC...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
Reminds me a bit of the old Academy of Knowledge guild we used to have on EC...

Dont worry, i am not claiming to be original.
I remember it though when i joined it, it was rather dead i supose.

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
Not a bad idea, the only thing I could never agree with is the mandatory part. As far as hints go, as a realm I think it's important to get a good player retention. Guilds such as this could be helpful but also limit newbies or drive them away. The function of scout, for instance, might not gain players H/P quickly enough to their tastes and hamper them in developing their characters.

But again, not a bad idea :)

Its hopefully going to be mandatory, what wrong with another totilitarian regime? (Yeay!)
Not for priest courtiers and diplomats though.

I do think scouts will get most of the action though with the main army always close behind.
But ofcourse we all need war for that first.
Want to join?

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Reminds me of the Perdan Panther Academy guild for infiltrators...obvious from which realm Brutus came from. ;)

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
1) you should explain travel mechanics like two turn moves, delay arrival, etc
2)the mortality part seems a bit random
3)maybe there should be some links to other parts of the wiki

It was still done nicely though and keep up the good work ;D
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

egamma

Instead of redoing the same work over and over, why not use existing resources?

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Mentoring

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
1) you should explain travel mechanics like two turn moves, delay arrival, etc
2)the mortality part seems a bit random
3)maybe there should be some links to other parts of the wiki

It was still done nicely though and keep up the good work ;D

Good points, i will remove mortality and replace it with your nr1.
I also planned to add many links.
The focus is an organized guide for basic troopleading so i wont add all the info in text, bit rather background info links to other pages.

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
Instead of redoing the same work over and over, why not use existing resources?

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Mentoring

Because Allot of it is outdated, to much text and not specifically focussed on fallangard.
I did read some of those guides though.
I needed a short purley essential guide to the basics of troopleading for new players creating a new class 'below' troopleader that sees more travel and risk to train in practice.
This guarantees well educated and expirienced troopleaders who can  take responsibility for there tasks.

The uniqueness of this academy is that it will be the training machine through which everyone in the realm goes through. Tls or lords alime. An essential part of its society.
Think 1984 totalitarianism, the machine that makes the realm universal, one.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:11:22 PM by Bhranthan »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Because Allot of it is outdated, to much text and not specifically focussed on fallangard.
So... update the general article with the appropriate information, and create a separate page specifically for details of your realm. That's kind of the point of a wiki, in that it allows the community as a whole to create shared documentation that everyone can use. If you just create your own realm-specific data, then the rest of the community can't benefit from your work, as it will appear to be specific to your realm.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
So... update the general article with the appropriate information, and create a separate page specifically for details of your realm. That's kind of the point of a wiki, in that it allows the community as a whole to create shared documentation that everyone can use. If you just create your own realm-specific data, then the rest of the community can't benefit from your work, as it will appear to be specific to your realm.

Good idea. I was keeping that option in mind while writing it.
By adjusting a few things every realm can use it.
I will start on it when i have time.

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
I just updated the scouts guide, added some important basic info on traveling, unit settings and rogues.

Format is a bit better but i cant manage wiki as well as any other editor.

If anyone wishes to help with the format i can start making a universal version of the tutorial (shorter without specific information pointing to fallangard).
The text needs to be put on a smaller space, simply using enter/return key doesn't work there.
It is not very handy to read such long lines.

Lacedaemon

• Knight
  • Amyclas, Belarus, Aigre Valens
    • View Profile
I find it a bit ludicrous that some believe that this game needs academies. Success in battlemaster is often more of a matter of politics than "knowledge" or "skill".

Kiss arse, prove yourself reliable, and see promotion. Align yourself with more powerful and ambitious superiors. Then take part in plots and wreck havoc with the rest of them.

When one becomes Lord, it's a simple matter of trial and error to push buttons and optimize settings. The nuances of battle or region management can be easily read up. After attaining title of Lord you can set your sights on Duke, Banker, Marshal, Judge... if no opportunities exist, you can always conspire to create your own.

It is interesting than Fallangard has a formal initiation program. I'm sure some form of structure could help newbie retention.