Author Topic: Can we improve the wiki?  (Read 29898 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Can we improve the wiki?
« Topic Start: August 05, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »
As for the continuing plague of spam accounts, the list of new spam accounts in the recent changes log can regularly exceed double figures each day. Even if we deleted them as soon as they were created, you would then get a list of deleted accounts clogging up the log as well. Ideally that also can be reduced for a better experience, but if I recall correctly, we simply don't have the tools. I had a little look at things that might help with that as well, but it could be a hiding to nothing:

Extension:Phalanx
ExtensionBlockandNuke
Neither of these extensions will help us. Neither will actually block the creation of the bad accounts. We already have some filters in place to prevent some creation, such as a filter for new usernames that prevents the registration of usernames with numbers or symbols. We already have BadBehavior installed, which is blocking almost everything that the accounts that do manage to get registered try to post. That's why you never see any real spam pages. (They are very rare, and get nuked quickly.) We also have a Nuke extension that lets us nuke all pages created by any account.

The only real problem with the spambot accounts is the flooding of the Recent Changes page. There's nothing we can do about that unless someone knows of a way to remove the listing of new accounts in the Recent Changes log, or a way to stop spambots from registering accounts in the first place.

I haven't had a chance to look at your first suggestions yet.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.