Author Topic: Can we improve the wiki?  (Read 30224 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Can we improve the wiki?
« Topic Start: August 06, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »
I see I need to elaborate.

The problem with blogs is that they do not prioritize. New information goes to the top, old information drops off the bottom.

Now look at a newspaper. Any newspaper. You will notice a total disregard of temporal order. IMPORTANT news go to the top, while less important stuff goes to the bottom, or page 5. THAT is part of journalism as well, and the main reason people still read newspapers when they could also wade through Twitter themselves. Seperating out the important from the unimportant, merging things, summing up, putting related articles next to each other, the lot.

This is all about format and presentation, and it is crazy important. There's a reason people are employed full-time in the job of laying out the newspaper every day, even in an age where if the issue were just to fit everything, a short script would sort it out much faster.

A newspaper system needs to work with tiles and allow its users to place the content. Tags are nice to find related articles. And that's about it, it really isn't difficult, but it is a far call from writing an online diary. Heck, bug me some more and I'll write one, or better yet: How about we try to find a PHP coder for this particular task? Symfony2+Doctrine and there could be a prototype literally within a day. Make it a standalone system and it could even be sold, I'm sure a million school and hobby and club newspapers are looking for just such a system.