Author Topic: Church of Echad  (Read 6410 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Church of Echad
« Topic Start: May 05, 2011, 03:31:16 AM »
I founded a new religion a couple months ago on the Far East in Haul called the Church of Echad. It's a monotheistic religion with most of the language and themes ripped from Judaism and Yiddish language patterns, though the theology itself (mostly the creation story) is more of a mystical kind of original story I made up.

Most of the influences of Judaism come from strict adherence to it's book of Echad's law and its very big emphasis on community and family. It is still very small, but I'm doing some significant RP and we have about 4 or 5 noble members. School is ending so I'm going to be having a lot more time to put into the coming months. I have a pretty cool RP trip for my character to embark upon probably this evening, actually.

Anyways, just thought I would put this out there in case anyone is interested, and if not just raise some awareness.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Church_of_Echad
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:04:12 AM by Perth »
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Church of Echad
« Reply #1: May 06, 2011, 04:49:31 AM »
I like the origin story, just a quick OOC note at the bottom that the terms come from Yiddish would help gobs, 'cause it's not obvious to those who aren't familiar.

It really reads like a religious text though, almost Qu'ar'anic in some bits, half poetry and half prose.  Very impressive.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 06, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »
Thanks a lot!

And yes I did very much go for a Qur'anic feel to the texts, especially the Bashaf.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

cjnodell

« Reply #3: August 25, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
It looks like things are beginning to pick up for the Church. Three new noble members in a day is quite the jump for our little religion. If were a bit more effective at preaching we might even see our peasant followers grow... All in time I guess.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 25, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »
Well, I'm about to join and become a priest, so that might help with that . . . I think it's most effective to preach in 12 hour increments, but I could be wrong.

cjnodell

« Reply #5: August 25, 2011, 04:37:31 PM »
I will give it a try. I have also been moving between a few regions whenever the "The peasants ignore you because there has been too much preaching" message comes up.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 25, 2011, 11:11:42 PM »
Indeed, the recent nobles we've gained is encouraging. Even some of our quiet members have piped up.

Also, I only ever preach in 12 hour increments. Never less. And the strategy of going to different regions or stopping preaching for a few turns once you start to get the "too much preaching" message is a good one.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 26, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »
Looked pretty cool so I joined right off with Ishika, an Indian name that means "pain brush"   ???

Anyways, she'll bring some excitement to the religion, though I never caught on with PoZ last time I was here..
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 26, 2011, 07:15:40 AM »
Looked pretty cool so I joined right off with Ishika, an Indian name that means "pain brush"   ???

Anyways, she'll bring some excitement to the religion, though I never caught on with PoZ last time I was here..

Origin:
Sanskrit

Meaning:
Brush; sacred pen
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 26, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »
Meaning:
Brush; sacred pen

I liked "pain brush" a lot more than "paint brush"!  :P
After all it's a roleplaying game.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 26, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »
I liked "pain brush" a lot more than "paint brush"!  :P

Me too  ::) Either she's going to do a lot of good for PoZ or piss off a lot of people.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 26, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
Given that you're trying to start a faith right in the middle of the largest and strongest faith on the island. . lets vote piss people off ;)

Lucky that the Order can't just shut you down, but Zonasa's laws make it pretty clear I can't do anything to you :P  *grumbles*

Oh well, not like we're that active roleplay wise.   We just have that critical mass of peasantry.  lol.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 27, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
Given that you're trying to start a faith right in the middle of the largest and strongest faith on the island. . lets vote piss people off ;)

Lucky that the Order can't just shut you down, but Zonasa's laws make it pretty clear I can't do anything to you :P  *grumbles*

Oh well, not like we're that active roleplay wise.   We just have that critical mass of peasantry.  lol.

There is a reason I chose Zonasa...

And, yeah, the Order has proved quite boring. I have literally had zero complaints from anyone about preaching in regions that are majority the Order... which is all of them. In fact, other than with Phellan when I founded the Church, no one from the Order has corresponded with me period.

I suspect that will change as we are growing pretty steadily now. And I'm not necessarily complaining that we've been able to fly under the radar, but more so that it was just kind of surprising.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 27, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »

Eh, I'm sure there's politics and intrigue stuff you can do.  And you should probably shore up support with key members (like your biggest donor).

The lack of RP in the Order does hurt them, though -- that's why one of my characters (David) is leaving.  Morgan has a lot invested in the Order, but who knows what the future will bring. . . .

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 27, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »
I'd like to see more RP in the Order, but sadly Phellan's now a secondary character compared to Vallyn.

We need more RP there, and more going on but . . . it's tough.

I mean we do have literally 1/3 of the peasantry on the Island, but very few nobles for that mass, and none seem to actively RP besides Thain who is. . uh.  Lets be honest, While he's useful for crushing people like Echad he's also just as likely to get us banned from a Realm.

If you got any suggestions or anything for RP bring it up. . . and we got Kirt coming in and he seems pretty excited so maybe I'll try another RP push.    Just so many folks are quiet it hurts.