Author Topic: Rethink the roleplay forum  (Read 7215 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Rethink the roleplay forum
« Topic Start: August 15, 2013, 03:58:13 AM »
So the roleplay forum is locked. I was thinking, maybe it should be unlocked with a new premise in mind. Instead of a place to post roleplays it can be a place to discuss roleplay in general. Discussing a living character or their actions will be strictly forbidden. However it is acceptable to discuss dead characters when its useful for discussing how to role-play.

People can talk about character motivation and story arks in a broader sense. They can go there to get a better idea of how medieval people's value systems and reasoning work (It gets on my nerves when I intentionally use a logical fallacy that was widely accepted in the middle ages and no one accepts it). In addition discussion of the greater cultural sphere would be welcome there too (although those will remain primarily part of the Background forum).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Rethink the roleplay forum
« Reply #1: August 15, 2013, 03:59:32 AM »
Eh, I doubt that there's enough interest in that for a whole subforum.

Start a topic in BM General to discuss that.

Posting RPs so everyone can read them is a valuable purpose.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 15, 2013, 06:56:55 AM »
Eh, I doubt that there's enough interest in that for a whole subforum.

Start a topic in BM General to discuss that.

Posting RPs so everyone can read them is a valuable purpose.

^This. Locking the roleplay board seemed entirely overkill to me and I know I'm not alone in thinking that. I can see (sort of, doesnt mean I agree) people having issues with the local boards but the roleplaying board? !@#$ why don't we just remove the roleplay message type while we're at it. We've seen a decline RP lately and closing the rpmforum isn't helpful to that.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: August 15, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »
Same answer as for the locals:

I've outlined my thoughts extensively. Write me a short set of guidelines for the board you want re-opened and I'll consider it.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 15, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
I've outlined my thoughts extensively. Write me a short set of guidelines for the board you want re-opened and I'll consider it.

Tom,

I just had a look at the entire RP board. There are only four threads which are OOC discussion and three of those date from 2011. Literally everything else are in-games RPs which have been shared on the forum. They happen in game, they are just copied there for people to see. I don't get how these could detract from interacting in game since they are in-game interactions by themselves.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: August 15, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »
I just had a look at the entire RP board. There are only four threads which are OOC discussion and three of those date from 2011. Literally everything else are in-games RPs which have been shared on the forum. They happen in game, they are just copied there for people to see. I don't get how these could detract from interacting in game since they are in-game interactions by themselves.

If people find it easier to just reply on the forum with a roleplay on their own instead of reacting to the RP in-game with in-game actions and messages, then gameplay has been removed from the game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 15, 2013, 04:57:44 PM »
If people find it easier to just reply on the forum with a roleplay on their own instead of reacting to the RP in-game with in-game actions and messages, then gameplay has been removed from the game.

But they don't. That doesn't happen at all. There are things that are done in-game, and then are shown to other people out of game because people are proud of the stories they have created and want to show them around.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 15, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
Okay, I'm going to take a tilt at this. Is the mention of the wiki too much? Is this the right direction?

Roleplay Board Guidelines
The Roleplay Board board exists so that you can share roleplays you have already made in-game with a wider audience. It is not a replacement for in-character interaction that belongs in-game. Neither is it the place for the kind of character-building that more properly belongs on the BattleMaster Wiki (e.g. a story about how your family was founded should go on your family wiki page.)

Posters to the roleplay board should obey the following guidelines:-
  • Only post roleplays if you have already shared them in-game.
  • Only post roleplays you have written yourself.
  • This board is not a discussion area. Short replies to offer compliments to the poster are permitted. Discussions are not, and will be summarily deleted.

Edit: Replaced last point with one suggested by Indirik.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:21:16 PM by Revan »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 15, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
I would modify that last one as follows:

This board is not a discussion area. Short replies to offer compliments to the poster are permitted. Discussions are not, and will be summarily deleted.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 15, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »
Those seem like fair guidelines.

Would death roleplay been considered a part of a shared, in-game roleplay or wiki material?. Obviously in many cases it won't be possible to post it in game, but it could still read as a roleplay that would have been posted in game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 15, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
That doesn't follow the rules, does it? If it wasn't posted in-game, you can't post it here. Period.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 15, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
So, wiki material then. Thank you.

Considering how many I've seen it might be smart to point out that death or end of character roleplays belong on the wiki or just point out that you are enforcing the guidelines word for word without exception to cover all cases.

Or heck, I suppose it reads that clear enough anyway. I was stuck on the family history part obviously being wiki while thinking character end/death could be wiki, but could be roleplay. So, nevermind I suppose.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:56:47 PM by Ender »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: August 15, 2013, 07:22:33 PM »
I think we can make an exception for death. It happens rarely enough and if someone wants to describe his characters funeral, why not?

I would like to propose a variation for the "one week after" rule that I think we agree is unworkable. This is a rough draft:

"All roleplays posted to the forum should be assumed to be public knowledge across all game worlds. In order to not interfere with in-game roleplays and interaction, you should wait until news of whatever event you roleplay could reasonably have made the rounds as rumours and gossip. In most cases, that will also mean waiting until the event has been concluded in-game and other players had opportunity to react to or reply to your roleplay in-game."

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 15, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »
Is there a way to make all the threads in that section lock on creation? I think that would solve the problem of people who " just reply on the forum with a roleplay on their own instead of reacting to the RP in-game with in-game actions and messages"

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 15, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
"All roleplays posted to the forum should be assumed to be public knowledge across all game worlds. In order to not interfere with in-game roleplays and interaction, you should wait until news of whatever event you roleplay could reasonably have made the rounds as rumours and gossip. In most cases, that will also mean waiting until the event has been concluded in-game and other players had opportunity to react to or reply to your roleplay in-game."

I used to roleplay one of my character's as a murderer or someone who practices ritual human sacrifices. These roleplays had not other purpose but giving my character some (gruesome) depth. Now, it was never intended for anyone to actually find out that my character was a horrible murderer, and thankfully everyone respected the sanctity of the roleplays. However, if I feel like I wish to post these roleplays, I am not allowed according to this rule - seeing as how the entire point of the roleplaying would be to sketch a dark and secret part of your character that nobody knows about but is present, which may be important for eventual actions your character makes (and thus puts it into context for the player, OOCly, but not the other characters).

Maybe to rephrase: is the "public knowledge" purely in-character knowledge, or does it also apply to OOC-knowledge? I understand the goal of this rule and I fully support it. I just wonder what to do with the roleplays written solely to spice up your character (i.e. non-interactive roleplay). The shortcoming of this rule perhaps is that it prevents from solo-roleplays to be posted to the forum.

Not that I would really care, in the end, because if I wanted to post a roleplay that would define the backstory of my character towards other players (not characters), I might as well toss it on the wiki in my family page.

Ardet nec consumitur.