Author Topic: Rethink the roleplay forum  (Read 7309 times)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Rethink the roleplay forum
« Topic Start: August 15, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
"All roleplays posted to the forum should be assumed to be public knowledge across all game worlds. In order to not interfere with in-game roleplays and interaction, you should wait until news of whatever event you roleplay could reasonably have made the rounds as rumours and gossip. In most cases, that will also mean waiting until the event has been concluded in-game and other players had opportunity to react to or reply to your roleplay in-game."

I used to roleplay one of my character's as a murderer or someone who practices ritual human sacrifices. These roleplays had not other purpose but giving my character some (gruesome) depth. Now, it was never intended for anyone to actually find out that my character was a horrible murderer, and thankfully everyone respected the sanctity of the roleplays. However, if I feel like I wish to post these roleplays, I am not allowed according to this rule - seeing as how the entire point of the roleplaying would be to sketch a dark and secret part of your character that nobody knows about but is present, which may be important for eventual actions your character makes (and thus puts it into context for the player, OOCly, but not the other characters).

Maybe to rephrase: is the "public knowledge" purely in-character knowledge, or does it also apply to OOC-knowledge? I understand the goal of this rule and I fully support it. I just wonder what to do with the roleplays written solely to spice up your character (i.e. non-interactive roleplay). The shortcoming of this rule perhaps is that it prevents from solo-roleplays to be posted to the forum.

Not that I would really care, in the end, because if I wanted to post a roleplay that would define the backstory of my character towards other players (not characters), I might as well toss it on the wiki in my family page.

Ardet nec consumitur.