Author Topic: Rethink the roleplay forum  (Read 7214 times)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Rethink the roleplay forum
« Reply #15: August 15, 2013, 09:18:07 PM »
I would modify that last one as follows:
This board is not a discussion area. Short replies to offer compliments to the poster are permitted. Discussions are not, and will be summarily deleted.

Yes, that works better.

I used to roleplay one of my character's as a murderer or someone who practices ritual human sacrifices. These roleplays had not other purpose but giving my character some (gruesome) depth. Now, it was never intended for anyone to actually find out that my character was a horrible murderer, and thankfully everyone respected the sanctity of the roleplays.

I just wonder what to do with the roleplays written solely to spice up your character (i.e. non-interactive roleplay). The shortcoming of this rule perhaps is that it prevents from solo-roleplays to be posted to the forum.

Not that I would really care, in the end, because if I wanted to post a roleplay that would define the backstory of my character towards other players (not characters), I might as well toss it on the wiki in my family page.

Isn't there already a long-standing rule along the lines that anything you post as a roleplay in-game is something other characters can find out about? I'm not sure you would have much to worry about regarding these rules as technically, the ability for others to learn from your non-interactive roleplays is already there in game.

Having said that, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to add a disclaimer to the roleplay board guidelines. Something like 'Be aware that by posting roleplays to this board, you are revealing in-game knowledge to a much wider audience. If your roleplay reveals things you only want people in your realm, guild etc. to know then don't post it here.'

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 15, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
If people find it easier to just reply on the forum with a roleplay on their own instead of reacting to the RP in-game with in-game actions and messages, then gameplay has been removed from the game.

The only roleplays I've ever posted were ones that happened in-game first. Most of the ones I've seen in the forum seem to have been posted in-game first (anything by Renodin or Dishman for example). I really think you're finding an issue with the roleplay forum that doesn't exist. That being said, I have no objection to clearer guidelines either...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 15, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »
Is there a way to make all the threads in that section lock on creation? I think that would solve the problem of people who " just reply on the forum with a roleplay on their own instead of reacting to the RP in-game with in-game actions and messages"
I don't think this is a problem at all. As far as I know, this doesn't ever happen. At all. Unless someone can point me to some occurrences of this....
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 16, 2013, 02:56:37 AM »
Not that I would really care, in the end, because if I wanted to post a roleplay that would define the backstory of my character towards other players (not characters), I might as well toss it on the wiki in my family page.

I don't like the idea of condemning something like those RPs to the wiki. They were quite good as I recall, and I feel like far fewer people would end up stumbling across them on the wiki than on the forum.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 16, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
What ever is done... It may not be a bad idea to put up a sticky with some links to make a RP Writing Guide.

A now quiet game that I was once very active in has some well written categories (which they used for a class setting to help anyone interested in developing better skills at witting and RP).

http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Category:Writing_Guide

Includes topics such as: Creating Flow, Creating Memorable Characters, Consistency, Using the Senses... and on.

*shrug* I believe with better encouragement we could see more writing coming from players... As long as that is encouraged by peers rather than blasted.  More people would read them also if the quality was better in some cases.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 17, 2013, 10:48:45 PM »
I used to roleplay one of my character's as a murderer or someone who practices ritual human sacrifices. These roleplays had not other purpose but giving my character some (gruesome) depth. Now, it was never intended for anyone to actually find out that my character was a horrible murderer, and thankfully everyone respected the sanctity of the roleplays.

I did roughly the same thing. I'd RP whoever is in the region or it's lord, wait until the specific string of murders was over and post it to the RP forum. In the game I wasn't even sure if those people were active or cared about the little blurb of RP as they were going about their business, so the RP board felt like a good way of generating rumor in-game for people who would care and weren't in the regions I operated in.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)