Author Topic: The Way Forward  (Read 53638 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: The Way Forward
« Reply #120: August 29, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
That's one part of this that always got me; if people can't stand the forums, why don't they just stay away?

Because of the impression that if you don't read the forums, you are missing something important for your in-game play. See any of the other 10 topics on this, this has all been discussed extensively.

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #121: August 29, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »
Where does one get the impression they must read the forums? In my 3 our so years playing in very active realms I have seen an in game reference to the forums perhaps one or two times. Its so rare in my experience if I didn't see the link to the forums on the family page I wouldn't know they are there.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #122: August 29, 2013, 09:28:28 PM »
Where does one get the impression they must read the forums? In my 3 our so years playing in very active realms I have seen an in game reference to the forums perhaps one or two times. Its so rare in my experience if I didn't see the link to the forums on the family page I wouldn't know they are there.

I'm right there with you, but according to Tom, some unknown number of unnamed people, of whom he apparently has evidence which he will not show, believe this about the forum for reasons which are unspecified and unclear.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #123: August 29, 2013, 09:52:08 PM »
Because of the impression that if you don't read the forums, you are missing something important for your in-game play. See any of the other 10 topics on this, this has all been discussed extensively.

I recall you mentioning it more than once. The problem is, as Anaris alluded to, I don't recall anyone else doing so.

If, as you have also repeatedly pointed out, only a minority of the player base actually uses the forum, then clearly this feeling is neither universal nor accurate. I know plenty of famous, successful families who have no forum presence at all that I am aware of. I know many more who do have forum accounts but very rarely post (though I can't say how often they read).

It just irks me to see people come to the forum and complain about how miserable it is, and then just keep coming back. Seriously, the forum is completely optional. Don't like it? Delete your forum account and just play the game. Or put all the boards you don't like on Ignore. If I didn't like the forum, I wouldn't read it, just like if I didn't like the game, I wouldn't play it.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #124: August 29, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »
I thought we were passed this discussion and simply you guys were creating the new ruleset for the locals?

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #125: August 29, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »

I agree with this.  I've never had the impression that the forums were important to the game.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #126: August 29, 2013, 10:41:34 PM »
The forum is only important to the game insofar as it has taken over the wiki's role. Need information about the 5th invasion? Check the Fifth invasion thread. Need information about this or that war/realm/religion? The locals are there for you! Or not..

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #127: August 29, 2013, 10:49:05 PM »
I still go to the wiki for region or realm information. Even though I come to the forum from time to time, I have no interest in the local boards, and I never feel that I need to.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #128: August 29, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »
I recall you mentioning it more than once. The problem is, as Anaris alluded to, I don't recall anyone else doing so.

If, as you have also repeatedly pointed out, only a minority of the player base actually uses the forum, then clearly this feeling is neither universal nor accurate. I know plenty of famous, successful families who have no forum presence at all that I am aware of. I know many more who do have forum accounts but very rarely post (though I can't say how often they read).

It just irks me to see people come to the forum and complain about how miserable it is, and then just keep coming back. Seriously, the forum is completely optional. Don't like it? Delete your forum account and just play the game. Or put all the boards you don't like on Ignore. If I didn't like the forum, I wouldn't read it, just like if I didn't like the game, I wouldn't play it.
There was one case of someone else saying they felt the forums was ruining the game because of the game play done on it, although when asked for an example he said basically all of the locals board, while saying that if you didn't see it, its because you aren't attempting to see it, and refused to give any explanation beyond that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #129: August 29, 2013, 11:58:34 PM »

Several people have said as much right here in these discussions, and one even opened a topic in it.

Neither of us knows if these are a small number of players or many, but at least some exist.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #130: August 30, 2013, 12:02:13 AM »
Several people have said as much right here in these discussions, and one even opened a topic in it.

Several? I recall one, but I may be misremembering.

And the one who opened a topic is a person who has a history of making totally unfounded complaints about the game, is never satisfied, is someone who you have personally complained about this trait in, and when asked to provide any evidence of what he was complaining about in this case, simply said (paraphrasing), "It's obvious to anyone with eyes to see. If you can't see it already, it's because you're not looking or too stupid to see it."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #131: August 30, 2013, 12:58:44 AM »
simply said (paraphrasing), "It's obvious to anyone with eyes to see. If you can't see it already, it's because you're not looking or too stupid to see it."

He is insulting, but not necessarily wrong because of that. I see it as well. And at least a few other people also. Seriously, this whole discussion started because one guy QUIT over this issue.

Please stop being in denial. We can agree that we don't know if this is a minority or a majority opinion, and we'll probably never know. But as several people pointed out by now: Expecting many voices critical of the forum ON THE FORUM is not exactly a reasonable expectation. It's a bit like going to a football game looking for people who don't like football.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #132: August 30, 2013, 01:06:44 AM »
He is insulting, but not necessarily wrong because of that. I see it as well. And at least a few other people also. Seriously, this whole discussion started because one guy QUIT over this issue.

Please stop being in denial. We can agree that we don't know if this is a minority or a majority opinion, and we'll probably never know. But as several people pointed out by now: Expecting many voices critical of the forum ON THE FORUM is not exactly a reasonable expectation. It's a bit like going to a football game looking for people who don't like football.
Then post that the discussion is going on on the game. You are complaining about not getting the audience you want, but not taking any action to fix that even though it isn't that hard to just post on the newsticker that a discussion about whether the forums is good or bad is being done or something like that. Those that really don't like the forums will be informed and can then fight against the forums if they so choose.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #133: August 30, 2013, 08:14:19 AM »
Then post that the discussion is going on on the game. You are complaining about not getting the audience you want, but not taking any action to fix that even though it isn't that hard to just post on the newsticker that a discussion about whether the forums is good or bad is being done or something like that. Those that really don't like the forums will be informed and can then fight against the forums if they so choose.

You're trying to tell me that the solution is to invite those who don't like football to come to the game. That's not going to work. People who reject the forum won't be coming to the forum to discuss that.

I'm aware of that, and I'm not complaining. I'm trying to tell people here that yes, everyone here is pretty much in favour of the forums. Big surprise when you're in the middle of what is essentially the biggest selection bias ever.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #134: August 30, 2013, 08:42:21 AM »
People who reject the forum won't be coming to the forum to discuss that.

can then fight against the forums if they so choose.

They're not being invited to discuss about it. They're being invited to fight for it. And that's much, much worse.
After all it's a roleplaying game.