Author Topic: The Way Forward  (Read 53854 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: The Way Forward
« Reply #15: August 18, 2013, 06:04:52 PM »
I'm afraid this would blur the line between IC and OOC maybe a bit too much. I think the RP board should at the very least remain its own separate subforum within the large "Gameplay" board (or whatever we call it).

That's the point. Everything on the forum is OOC, even the RP - it is OOC because it is reposted for archive and distribution, not as an in-character posting. Basically, it's a sports show on TV, not the actual sports.

And that puts it on the same level as the locals.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 18, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »
Another way to address the low noble count is to re-think the character limits rules. That doesn't mean abolishing character limits, but perhaps the rules can be tweaked. For example:
  • Rather than increasing +1 every 12 months, every 9 or 10 months instead.
  • Offer a +1 to certain players on the condition that their character will be in a fledgling realm or island.
  • Give out more medals
  • Give a fam/honour/prestige boost to players who go to fledgling, or less desirable realms or islands.

These are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure the BattleMaster Brain-Trust, i.e. the collective genius of all of us, could come up with more and better innovations.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 18, 2013, 06:50:20 PM »
I think 'gameplay' as a header is a bit misleading. Something more specific like "In-Game Rumor" or "Propaganda" or something similar that conveys that it is information directly from game events but in now way is necessary information for casual players.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 18, 2013, 07:13:41 PM »
I think 'gameplay' as a header is a bit misleading. Something more specific like "In-Game Rumor" or "Propaganda" or something similar that conveys that it is information directly from game events but in now way is necessary information for casual players.

That makes it sound completely meta-gamey, which I thought was what we were trying to avoid. Sounds like Tom is more interested in clearly establishing the forum as a pure OOC venue. Better that it be "Island Discussion" or "Game Discussion."

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 18, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
That makes it sound completely meta-gamey, which I thought was what we were trying to avoid. Sounds like Tom is more interested in clearly establishing the forum as a pure OOC venue. Better that it be "Island Discussion" or "Game Discussion."

Perhaps then have island-specific child boards under the General Discussion board.

Zakilevo

« Reply #20: August 18, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
Instead of letting people discuss like before, why not only allow people to post news or information?

Disallow people from commenting on each other's posts. That way we may avoid people bickering over senseless stuff again.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 18, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »
Instead of letting people discuss like before, why not only allow people to post news or information?

Disallow people from commenting on each other's posts. That way we may avoid people bickering over senseless stuff again.

If you want to prevent people from bickering, don't forbid all discussion. That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Just moderate the various posts well, so that bickering is nipped in the bud, and before too long, people will start to understand what's permitted and what's not, and mostly stop bickering of their own accord.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 18, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »
Another way to address the low noble count is to re-think the character limits rules. That doesn't mean abolishing character limits, but perhaps the rules can be tweaked. For example:
  • Rather than increasing +1 every 12 months, every 9 or 10 months instead.
  • Offer a +1 to certain players on the condition that their character will be in a fledgling realm or island.
  • Give out more medals
  • Give a fam/honour/prestige boost to players who go to fledgling, or less desirable realms or islands.

These are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure the BattleMaster Brain-Trust, i.e. the collective genius of all of us, could come up with more and better innovations.
While BM is lacking characters its more of a player density issue than a character density issue. Same players, more characters? Thats less time to send messages and its also more spread around so instead of three characters with 4 messages sent each they have the same amount of time so it becomes 4 characters with 3 messages each. Increasing active character limit is not a solution to the problem.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 18, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
While BM is lacking characters its more of a player density issue than a character density issue. Same players, more characters? Thats less time to send messages and its also more spread around so instead of three characters with 4 messages sent each they have the same amount of time so it becomes 4 characters with 3 messages each. Increasing active character limit is not a solution to the problem.

Valid points, but don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Just because something's not an ideal fix, doesn't mean that it can't help. Instead of sinking an island, which I would consider the nuclear option, we should first explore "lighter touch" solutions that could alleviate the problem.
  • More characters = More stuff happens = Players are more engaged = More fun = Less stagnancy = Higher retention rate.

Also, don't assume that all players are spending all of their available time already. BM is pretty slow-moving game by design, and the amount of time people spend trolling these discussion boards is evidence that some people have extra capacity.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 18, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
Before freezing an entire island, consider freezing individual realms, regions or duchies. Start with the least heavy-handed fixes and then escalate as necessary. I know that Tom has said he doesn't like having to use "the hand of god coming down from the sky" to address IG issues.

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 18, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »
Just pick an island to axe already. Survey, why? It's not a democracy.

And I'm not sure about strange mechanics to transfer realms or whatever. That sounds a bit too much like Nationstates "a fleet of helicopters" transporting your nation when you switch from one region to another. Just freeze the island and the characters migrate, becoming individual refugees of some unexplainable apocalypse. They could go where they want rather than being herded toward some magically appearing real estate or ... however it's going to be.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 18, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
The survey will be good.

As for the new forum name I think "OOC Game Discussion" would be a good title.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 18, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »
Also, don't assume that all players are spending all of their available time already. BM is pretty slow-moving game by design, and the amount of time people spend trolling these discussion boards is evidence that some people have extra capacity.

This is correct. I have the time and inclination to write one or two roleplays a day, but as it is there simply isn't enough stuff going on in game for me to base them around. As a result, I tend to only write a single roleplay every few days.

Excess roleplay time goes toward pointless forum posting.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 18, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Freezing regions/duchies/realms is considerably more work than freezing an island, and not just because you have to do it multiple times. Its just....a mess. Also, you'd have to determine *which* regions/duchies/realms to freeze, then deal with accusations of favoritism and bias.

I don't look forward to this, at all, but I'd rather play a game with higher density than have all the islands. Those who played prior to 2007 likely understand this well. And I have reasons for liking all the islands too, due to the background I've built for my new family. We should be content with the fact that Tom is only freezing the islands and not deleting them completely like the war islands were.

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 18, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »
This is correct. I have the time and inclination to write one or two roleplays a day, but as it is there simply isn't enough stuff going on in game for me to base them around. As a result, I tend to only write a single roleplay every few days.

Excess roleplay time goes toward pointless forum posting.

You're on point with this one. I wonder if the forums suddenly went down & closed, if BM would see a renaissance of amazing roleplays and storylines?