Author Topic: The Way Forward  (Read 53686 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: The Way Forward
« Reply #150: September 01, 2013, 04:58:50 AM »
So, what you're saying is, it doesn't matter what we do with the forum, they will still hold this belief.

No, I'm not saying that.

I am saying that no matter what you WRITE on the forum, it won't change their minds, mostly because they'll never read it.

But if we rework the forum, make a few clear rules about IC/OOC separation, etc. - those are simple messages that we can transport.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #151: September 01, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
I just want to point out... that the majority of people who argue so strongly for doing nothing are those who have titles or whatnot on your user name.

Those titles are also something that gives you a sense of power or authority over anyone else on the forums.  When I read your posts...they sound as if you know everything...most times very critical of what you are commenting on.  It seems the more titles you have under your name, the less you are willing to accept being wrong.

The forums have become a place to be told you are wrong or stupid...your idea sucks or has been said before.  It creates an atmosphere of oppression. 

Go back and read this thread we are on here... every time you pick apart a post you sound like lawyers... that is not fun and the game and all associated with it is supposed to be fun.  You are dealing with human beings... not numbers and equations.  The game is a social project so feelings and grand philosophical ideas are what sends it above and beyond a text based RP game.

Because of that you can not analyze your way through all the problems the way you could other games.  You must look into the hearts and minds of the players.

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #152: September 02, 2013, 05:23:51 AM »
I think 90% of my posts just get ignored.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #153: September 02, 2013, 05:29:55 AM »
At least you're trying.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:42:13 AM by Buffalkill »

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #154: September 02, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »
At least you're trying.

Not sure if that was intentional or not. But LOL. ;D
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Varwulf

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #155: September 13, 2013, 12:52:08 AM »
Well, I still thought the idea of having a game wide 'super' invasion that plagues all islands (and the first island to be subdued by the threat is the island that gets 'frozen'/occupied by this enemy force, was an excellent idea.  I suppose I was wrong though since no one commented on it :)

I am sure the Dev team has an RP reason cooked up for one island semi-suddenly being taken off the roster.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Varwulf (Vix Tiramora), Rhyndaria (Caergoth), Ikosia (Caergoth), Kunoreyvn (Sandalak), Kimiakiaruni (Sandalak), Balkrom (Nothoi), Sythia (Arcaea), Eviera (Morek Empire)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #156: September 13, 2013, 09:46:26 AM »
I am sure the Dev team has an RP reason cooked up for one island semi-suddenly being taken off the roster.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Right now, the server move is more important than everything else together, so we focus on that.

Varwulf

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #157: September 14, 2013, 12:23:27 AM »
Right now, the server move is more important than everything else together, so we focus on that.

That makes perfect sense.  I just wanted to add to the discussion and hopefully come up with a decent idea to help out.  BM (and you) have been an on and off part of my life for many years now, so it feels good to at least say I am trying to do my part.  I still remember when you requested a photo of my driver's license (and that of my high school friend's) since we frequently used the same IP address to access our accounts :)
Varwulf (Vix Tiramora), Rhyndaria (Caergoth), Ikosia (Caergoth), Kunoreyvn (Sandalak), Kimiakiaruni (Sandalak), Balkrom (Nothoi), Sythia (Arcaea), Eviera (Morek Empire)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #158: September 14, 2013, 02:27:33 AM »
Well, I still thought the idea of having a game wide 'super' invasion that plagues all islands (and the first island to be subdued by the threat is the island that gets 'frozen'/occupied by this enemy force, was an excellent idea.  I suppose I was wrong though since no one commented on it :)

Personally, I love this idea.  As Tom said though, the server move has been the single thought for the last couple weeks.  It is an extremely complex operation and making sure nothing is missed, and ends up working properly at the end, is very time consuming, even though no one will see the effort (unless it goes badly)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:31:31 AM by Azerax »

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #159: September 17, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »

If you are talking about using GM led factions, some players might suspect fowl play on the part of the devs if their island was the one to lose. Lame and inconsiderate as it may be. Of course, something completely automated could work (increasing the spawn rates for undead and monsters) could work but lacks the fun story element of the typical invasion.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #160: September 17, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
If you are talking about using GM led factions, some players might suspect fowl play on the part of the devs if their island was the one to lose. Lame and inconsiderate as it may be. Of course, something completely automated could work (increasing the spawn rates for undead and monsters) could work but lacks the fun story element of the typical invasion.

What do you mean, "their island"?

As far as I know, devs play on every continent.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #161: September 17, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »
What do you mean, "their island"?

"Theirs" refers to "some players". Whatever island is closed, some people on the closed island will feel like it's a conspiracy.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #162: September 17, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »
"Theirs" refers to "some players". Whatever island is closed, some people on the closed island will feel like it's a conspiracy.

...Oh, right. Duh. Reading comprehension fail. Sorry about that :P

I would say "the point still stands" regarding devs being on every island (and thus having no particular horse in the race), but since Unwin's point was about player perception of why an island was sunk (or not), logic and reality are not really that relevant. ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #163: September 17, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
...Oh, right. Duh. Reading comprehension fail. Sorry about that :P

I would say "the point still stands" regarding devs being on every island (and thus having no particular horse in the race), but since Unwin's point was about player perception of why an island was sunk (or not), logic and reality are not really that relevant. ;D

I suppose when the island closing announcement is made, a list of Devs (and possibly magistrates and moderators) who play on that island can be posted, to show that no favorites were played.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #164: September 17, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
I suppose when the island closing announcement is made, a list of Devs (and possibly magistrates and moderators) who play on that island can be posted, to show that no favorites were played.

I don't think that's necessary. The ultimate decision will be made by me, and I play the exact same amount of characters on every island, in every realm, every guild and every religion.

I have one bias and I've already posted that: I don't want to sink EI, because that would mean shortening the history of the game. We could no longer that say some part of the game have almost 13 years of real history.

Everything else is not an obstacle. For example, while I like Outer Tilog, I also know the realm would re-form elsewhere if Colonies were to sink.