Author Topic: The Bendix Perspective: A BM Editorial  (Read 19435 times)

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
The Bendix Perspective: A BM Editorial
« Topic Start: August 22, 2013, 01:51:45 AM »
It is an arguably dark time in BM History. A shrinking player base, realms full of stagnant characters, and unfortunate incidents between players all point to a general decline in atmosphere. Whether these be the latter days of a once-grand gaming experiment, or simply a natural recession in the larger scheme of things, remains to be seen.

My objective will be to cover the current issues in the form of a journalistic editorial. Though I have my own opinions, I will do my best to prevent my own bias from getting in the way of what is essentially an anthropological analysis.

I am not a certified expert in anything I am talking about. It is not my intention to blame any player, group of players, realm, organization, devs, magistrates, Tom, Dick, Harry, what have you. The purpose is illumination, not condemnation.

Article The First:

Power Games

First, let me start by addressing the stigma of the term 'power gamer'. This is commonly thrown around as an insult in Roleplaying communities, and it is basically used to describe a person who is seen as placing technical achievement above playing in character.

Psychologically speaking, games are most often used as an outlet for either one's frustrations, or their ambitions, or some combination of the two. To put it simply, games are usually a 'power fantasy'; they allow the player to imagine that they are greater, or at least more interesting, than they are in reality. It sound all very juvenile when put in those terms, but the reality is that those power fantasies actually serve a meaningful purpose in our society, both on a pragmatic and aesthetic level! Art imitates life, and for many, life means the acquisition and use of power.

This is especially true in a game like Battlemaster, which is more a game of politics and diplomacy than its name would suggest. Noble characters in BM are a reflection of how the player views the concept of power. I won't stray too far into Nietzche here, but my basic point is that, whether conscious of it or not, many players play the game of power. But when you're playing a Medieval Lord in a Dark-Age setting, that's essentially right in-character! The motivation of that character archetype is well-aligned with the motivation of the players themselves.

Now, I am not saying all players play for this reason. There are plenty of players who just want to write a good story, create an interesting character, and add their personal literature to the collective environment. So some play for power, and some play for literature. The Gamers and the Writers. I'm sure there are other, more specific motivations you can pull out of the collective player base, but for the purposes of dealing with the issues at hand, these are the two motivations that should be examined.

I am not here to make a value judgment on which motivation is better, both in terms of by-proxy morality or in terms of which is better for the game as a whole. What I am here to do is try to create an understanding that 1.) People play for different reasons, and 2.) In this case, no reason is more 'correct' than the other.

Most people would say that Gamers and Writers, as I have just described them, are diametrically opposed. But the truth is that they actually support each other in a symbiotic relationship. The game needs ambitious players whose goals are to run things right and grab everything with both hands (like the classic Noble). It also needs players who are willing to take the time to translate those technical achievements (or lack thereof) into setting and story. 

If I were a betting man, I would bet that our current rash of problems is at least partially caused by an imbalance in these two motivations: one has begun to eclipse the other. If we are to view the recent changes to BM with any objectivity, it should be done with the perspective that the goal of those changes is (or at least should be) to correct an imbalance. 

So there you have it. Next week on The Bendix Perspective: Player Characters Divide and Conquer

Feel free to leave comments if you like, but I will not be personally answering any questions with regards to my articles. It is what it is, and I feel no obligation to defend or explain it further.

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Bendix Perspective: A BM Editorial
« Reply #1: August 22, 2013, 02:50:37 AM »
Excellent perspective and I agree with it for the most part, but I feel that dividing the game into Gamers and Writers doesn't quite catch the reality. I find there are Powergamers, CENSORED, Casuals, and Actors.

Powergamers are people who treat the game like a game of Risk and are interested in maximizing efficiency and CS and production and all the variables they can to "win". On the positive side they are the most effective generals and help realize the plots and schemes that CENSORED and Actors seek to fulfill. On the negative they can destroy the atmosphere of the game turning it into any other MMO. Mendicant-led Aurvandil comes to mind, but a particular example that strikes me is when my Dwilight character, Karibash, was found to be commanding a 200 man unit. I immediately saw on the forums that this was inefficient, a waste, I should be maximizing my CS with a smaller unit, etc. There were a few, however, who recognized the statement that a 200 man unit made: I was to be feared, not to be underestimated, a terror that will keep your descendants awake at night for generations. Powergamers have declined considerably in this game from the 2004-2008 heyday.

Next there are CENSORED who are interested in totally epic™ stories and schemes and plots. I have little love for this genre of player and you will find I colour my description accordingly. On the positive they scheme and plot as much as any Actor and have ample time to invest to carry out their plans. On the negative they scream and shout and complain that this isn't exciting enough, you should have done this to make it so much cooler, and I find are responsible for a lot of the bad feelings in this game. To me the CENSORED are simply bad Actors, unconcered with consistency in their character instead searching for the most awesome and cool and epic stories they can carry out. This turmoil and self-interest results in the negative feelings which drive away the most important group, the Casuals.

Casuals are the bulk of the game. They're here to play a game. They don't scheme as much, aren't very concerned with signing on right at the turn everyday to scout for 40 minutes or plan the next campaign or write infinite letters. They're pawns, but to call them pawns degrades their worth. They fight the wars that the Powergamers plan and carry out the plots and schemes that CENSORED create and are the bulk of the story that Actors write. On the positive they create the manpower required to run the game. On the negative their nonchalantness can lead to some stagnation, but not nearly as bad as some would want you to believe. Casuals are the cogs of the BM story and the most vital part I find. Casuals are declining at an alarming rate, alongside the decline of Powergamers.

Actors are what makes this game unique. They create interesting, believable and, most importantly, consistent characters. They create stories, whether that be schemes and plots or by being the voice in battle. An Actor has memorable last words, are at the centre of great shifts, and are a basis of development in the BM story. On the positive they keep the story not only moving but coherent; grudges, friendships that last generations, and grand histories of the rise and fall of empires. On the negative they require an obscene amount of time to play and as a result are the rarest players. They also can contribute considerably to stagnation due to their desire to maintain consistency in their characters. Atamara comes to mind with this; the old rulers all value honour considerably and despite sabre rattling will never blink. At their worst, Actors infuriate CENSORED creating bad blood which drives away Powergamers who take Casuals with them.

The key to this game is character development. Powergamers and Casuals aren't bad, but creating inconsistent characters who only seek to mess things up and change them is what results in bad blood. An Actor plays a medieval noble who lusts after power and to make their mark in history. They fall into stagnation as they reach their peak of power and it is up to another Actor with greater desires or, as has been happening recently, a CENSORED to push them from power. Powergamers and Casuals power these movements. Without the Actors to create the story, the game loses its appeal and falls into decline. The game cannot survive with CENSORED, we need Actors to create a coherent story.

That's my 2 cents. If you're offended and feel I spelt out your name in this, tough luck.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:55:01 PM by BarticaBoat »

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 22, 2013, 03:45:53 AM »
Powergamers are people who treat the game like a game of Risk and are interested in maximizing efficiency and CS and production and all the variables they can to "win". On the positive side they are the most effective generals and help realize the plots and schemes that GoT-addicts and Actors seek to fulfill. On the negative they can destroy the atmosphere of the game turning it into any other MMO. Mendicant-led Aurvandil comes to mind, but a particular example that strikes me is when my Dwilight character, Karibash, was found to be commanding a 200 man unit. I immediately saw on the forums that this was inefficient, a waste, I should be maximizing my CS with a smaller unit, etc. There were a few, however, who recognized the statement that a 200 man unit made: I was to be feared, not to be underestimated, a terror that will keep your descendants awake at night for generations. Powergamers have declined considerably in this game from the 2004-2008 heyday.

Defined in this manner, the game needs a vast influx of powergamers, because they are the only people who do anything.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 22, 2013, 06:16:58 AM »
Defined in this manner, the game needs a vast influx of powergamers, because they are the only people who do anything.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get powergamers=only people who do anything in the game? Also, very interesting perspectives both Bendix and Bartica Boat.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 22, 2013, 08:23:15 AM »
I suppose actors do something as well.

egamma

« Reply #5: August 22, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
Casuals [...] fight the wars that the Powergamers plan and carry out the plots and schemes that GoT-addicts create and are the bulk of the story that Actors write.

Looks to me like the casuals are the brawn, and the powergamers are the brain, the actors/GoT-addicts are the mouth.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 22, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
Most people would say that Gamers and Writers, as I have just described them, are diametrically opposed.

And sometimes, they still are—particularly at the extremes of their respective groups. There are people who are so heavily invested in the Game side that they are willing to go to absurd lengths—and do things that, from a character or writing perspective, make absolutely no sense—to "get ahead". Conversely, there are people who are so heavily invested in the Writing side that they deliberately try to divorce themselves from the Game requirements—such as actually maintaining the region they are Lord of, or participating in the realm—preferring instead to sit and write long narrative scenes about their characters.

It is people like these extremes, generally, that cause the most problems in the game.

But the truth is that they actually support each other in a symbiotic relationship. The game needs ambitious players whose goals are to run things right and grab everything with both hands (like the classic Noble). It also needs players who are willing to take the time to translate those technical achievements (or lack thereof) into setting and story.

Absolutely.

And the game needs to support both, in the proper balance.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that our current rash of problems is at least partially caused by an imbalance in these two motivations: one has begun to eclipse the other. If we are to view the recent changes to BM with any objectivity, it should be done with the perspective that the goal of those changes is (or at least should be) to correct an imbalance. 

Actually, I think that the perception that there's been worse troubles recently with players than in the past is just that: a perception, not the reality.

What has happened recently is that with the Magistrates making grievances between players public, we've seen a couple of things: first, people are actually starting to see the issues that affect their fellow players; and second, a consensus has developed that harassment is not something we want to condone (and consequently, multiple cases of harassment being publicly reported and going through the Magistrate process).

As someone who was able to see many of the Titan cases as they happened (though I was never a Titan), I can assure you that though the recent spate of cases are unusual for their public and contentious nature, the rate of reports to the dominant judicial authority in the game (whether Magistrates or Titans) has actually been much lower recently than in the past.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #7: August 22, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
I think we've had several powergamers who have aged and turned to casual players, myself included. Those playing in Lukon--who used to have the best army in the Colonies--are now suffering from the same, which has let Oritolon do very well against them in battle. So realms are quieter now.

SaDiablo

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 23, 2013, 02:08:34 AM »

Posted by: egamma
« on: Yesterday at 04:07:10 PM »

Insert Quote

I think we've had several powergamers who have aged and turned to casual players, myself included. Those playing in Lukon--who used to have the best army in the Colonies--are now suffering from the same, which has let Oritolon do very well against them in battle. So realms are quieter now.

Na, the young blood woke up the old blood,  gg  incoming

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 23, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »
I like to think I play three different characters in three different ways.

Eoric is the casual, the drone who gives scout reports but does little other than follow directions. There are exceptions to this, like when nothing is happening he'll try to stir the pot a bit. When the pawns start sabre-rattling and/or causing trouble that is when something needs to happen and leaders need to make the realm engaging.

Enoch is the actor, the character I try to give some depth. Subtle schemes, multiple contacts across realms. SMA Dwilight and Sanguis Astroism helps facilitate this very well.

Emeric (Willy before) is my GOT character. Actively trying to cause drama. Absconding with gold/unpaid fines, looting against orders, and (in time) more abrasive actions.

I've yet to really try powergaming. That seems reserved for generals/marshals. I dabbled with Enoch in a brief stint as General, but found the number crunching and contingency plans too distracting from the actual game itself. I'm sure there is a type of euphoria in it once there are high stakes and winners/loser to the powergaming...but I've not had a chance at that yet.

In general, I think these are good arch-types for playstyles, but it's good to remember that some (if not most) players will span all those styles.

Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 23, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »
You can also break a power gamer into a couple of categories...

The minimaxer... Who uses 'the math' to figure out exactly what it will take to 'win' an encounter/war/whatever...

and

The manipulator... Who is, as the name implies, working the social angles to 'win' an encounter...

You see a lot of minmax talk in the forums...from dev. and players.  You normally see a social aspect post go unquoted and commented on.

The result is you have a game being developed by mechanics/numbers people that leans to favor those people.  They then try to compensate the balance by using more numbers and calculations...

That is the game balance that is out of whack.  We have gone away from this game being a social experiment.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 24, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »
Posted by: egamma
« on: Yesterday at 04:07:10 PM »

Insert Quote

Na, the young blood woke up the old blood,  gg  incoming

We offered gg and ares declined.

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 24, 2013, 08:11:42 AM »
GoT = Game of Thrones?
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 24, 2013, 08:20:47 AM »
GoT = Game of Thrones?
I would assume so.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 24, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Why in the world would liking Game of Thrones mean you don't create consistent characters, that you whine about things not being exciting and demand that they get their way, are especially self centered, drive away casual gamers and are responsible for most of the negative feelings in the game and etc? And have more time to play? This connection is a really strange one to make in an analysis of player types. It's like seeing a list of socioeconomic classes go "lower class, middle class, upper class, and dog owners."
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova