Author Topic: "Notepad" as every chars first message.  (Read 5070 times)

Kaltenthal

• Freeman
    • View Profile
"Notepad" as every chars first message.
« Topic Start: September 14, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
Id ask if the idea of having a "notepad" at the top of the new messages would be interesting and could gather any support.

Basically imagine you are on your family page and klick "play" on one of your characters and the foremost message would be a messages that you can change as you like to use it as a reminder for the player about the RPs that you wanted to do with this char, people you wanted to contact at a special time or things that are important for you realm/char at the moment.

I think this would help the more "casual player" (if somethin like that even exists in BM) to remember what kind of guy his char is and could be helpfull for every player to memorize things better.

Eirikr

Re: "Notepad" as every chars first message.
« Reply #1: September 14, 2013, 11:16:40 PM »
Personally, I like the idea, but I know I would lose it if it just took place of the first message (or stayed at the top of the page). It would be much more useful if it scrolled along with the page or was added as a space (like the menu on the left) on the right that never changes while playing the game.

Forgot to add: I know these modifications would be much more difficult to code, but I think this would be the ideal implementation.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:24:52 AM by Eirikr »

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 15, 2013, 01:58:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure the devs would say just point them to your wiki page.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 15, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »
Instead of it being a first message I would suggest we add a memo or notes section that is a place to store whatever notes you want to. Personally I just keep my own notes on my phone.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 15, 2013, 03:23:14 AM »
I've always been a fan of every character having a personal journal/notebook they could use to store a small amount of text. 5-10K characters would be great.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 15, 2013, 04:07:43 AM »
Question
     How many people would need these "notes" to be accessible from more then one machine?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 15, 2013, 04:44:40 AM »
Me. At least two desktops (maybe three), plus my phone.

And yes, I *could* just use a Google Drive or something, but that would be nowhere near as convenient as having it built in.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 15, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »
This is what I used to love the old, pre-Chromium Opera for. I had literally scores of notes in the sidebar full of half-finished roleplays, saved letters, half-boiled plans. And the best part was that through Opera Link those notes were available to all other copies of Opera I used. Man I loved that browser. Alas, the speed enhancements of the new version were just too good to stick with Opera 12.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: September 16, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »
Note-taking is something that we leave to the players, because everyone has other preferences, many people already have something like Evernote they use for such stuff, and so on.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 16, 2013, 01:02:19 PM »
Giving them an option for an IG place to keep notes does not preclude them from using an alternate service.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: September 16, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »
Giving them an option for an IG place to keep notes does not preclude them from using an alternate service.

No, it doesn't, but we don't include an e-mail client and an image processing software, either. Everything in this world that's done properly is like that because it focuses on doing one thing right, instead of ten million things half-assed.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 16, 2013, 05:55:23 PM »
Add a random string (a random chunk of 10-20% of the text) of the 'personal note' into torture reports and I'm in.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 17, 2013, 04:49:45 AM »
No, it doesn't, but we don't include an e-mail client and an image processing software, either. Everything in this world that's done properly is like that because it focuses on doing one thing right, instead of ten million things half-assed.
As has already been stated, its simply much more convenient for it to be all in one place. You don't need a fancy system created, nor is anyone asking for that. Simply a message that instead of being a message, is stored as a note. I have no idea how notetaking systems work so I can't say I know if its a lot of work or a little.

Why to not have an e-mail client? Because it has nothing to do with the game/doesn't help the game at all. Why to not have an image processing software? Lots of work, and little use/reward. Why to have a notepad with characters? Because its convenient for all players, will likely be used by nearly all players if they don't use a separate note service for BM, and has a lot of reward to it.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: September 17, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »
As has already been stated, its simply much more convenient for it to be all in one place. You don't need a fancy system created, nor is anyone asking for that. Simply a message that instead of being a message, is stored as a note. I have no idea how notetaking systems work so I can't say I know if its a lot of work or a little.

Again, we can not possibly make it as convenient or easy-to-use as a dedicated tool can. I would much rather have a list of plugins for all the major browsers and recommend a few of those.

egamma

REJECTED Re: "Notepad" as every chars first message.
« Reply #14: September 17, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »
Id ask if the idea of having a "notepad" at the top of the new messages would be interesting and could gather any support.

Basically imagine you are on your family page and klick "play" on one of your characters and the foremost message would be a messages that you can change as you like to use it as a reminder for the player about the RPs that you wanted to do with this char, people you wanted to contact at a special time or things that are important for you realm/char at the moment.

I think this would help the more "casual player" (if somethin like that even exists in BM) to remember what kind of guy his char is and could be helpfull for every player to memorize things better.