Author Topic: Will fame drop when my prestige goes down?  (Read 3168 times)

bofeng

• Knight
    • View Profile
Will fame drop when my prestige goes down?
« Topic Start: August 24, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »
My adventurer char discovered three unique items, and after selling one, he still has 24 prestige. I am considering selling the other two to get two more recommendations.

I also just reached 5 fame after 4 month of play. I am curious if the prestige drops after selling the items, will I lose the fame points? If that's the case, I would have to wait before selling the items.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Will fame drop when my prestige goes down?
« Reply #1: August 24, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
Your fame shouldn't drop after going below the prestige requirement.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 24, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »
Do you get family fame from adventurers? You shouldn't, as they are not recognized members of your noble family.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 24, 2013, 09:05:07 PM »
I can verify that you do, Indirik. Nearly all my fame comes from my family starting as only adventurers.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 24, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
That seems kind of wrong... how can adventurers make your family famous wheen they aren't even acknowledged as part of your family?

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 24, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
That seems kind of wrong... how can adventurers make your family famous wheen they aren't even acknowledged as part of your family?

His actions still reflect on the family, even if the family members consider him a black sheep. According to the wiki, a fame point is given for finding unique items, which would to suggest that adventurers can get fame points.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 25, 2013, 03:11:12 AM »
This is getting a bit off topic, but advy's aren't "black sheep". A black sheep of the family is still part of the family. And if you're part of the family, then you're a noble. Advy's aren't nobles. If they were, they wouldn't be advys. Advy's aren't nobles. so they're not part of the family. If they were, they wouldn't be advys.

They can't be associated to the family. If they were, then they would be nobles, and not advys.

Anyway, it's not really a big deal. it's an easier way for new players to get the fame they need, and in that context, I don't think this is something worth changing.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 25, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
To confirm: No, you can never lose a fame point you have gained.

Re: advies: They are part of the family in a quasi-OOC way, and fame is quasi-OOC. I see no problem with gaining fame at least partly due to advy prestige.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #8: August 25, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
To confirm: No, you can never lose a fame point you have gained.

Isn't there a fame cleanup/verification script that sometimes corrects the amount of fame you have? How can that script tell if you were really supposed to have that prestige fame or not?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 25, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
Isn't there a fame cleanup/verification script that sometimes corrects the amount of fame you have?

There is, and I'm still baffled as to how we still have some fame points that get accidentally given twice, so they have to be taken away.

How can that script tell if you were really supposed to have that prestige fame or not?

If you must know, the DB stores the maximum prestige values (individual and aggregate) your family has had.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 25, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »
There is, and I'm still baffled as to how we still have some fame points that get accidentally given twice, so they have to be taken away.

I think I have fewer fame points than I'm supposed to based on my reading of the wiki page. According to my offices, events and attributes, I should have 10 fame points, but I only have 7. http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Buffalkill_Family#Fame

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 25, 2013, 11:25:08 PM »

I think I have fewer fame points than I'm supposed to based on my reading of the wiki page. According to my offices, events and attributes, I should have 10 fame points, but I only have 7. http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Buffalkill_Family#Fame

OK, first obvious problem I see there: You're double-counting two fame points.

Each fame point can only ever be gained once. If you could gain the individual Prestige fame for every character, then fame farming would be as easy as creating a character, getting him up to 10 prestige, then deleting him.

Every fame point is unique. You can never, ever gain the same fame point more than once.

Second, very slightly less obvious problem: Outcast isn't a point you get for being banned. It's a point you get for being banned a lot. (And it's clear from your family history that Johan only has 1 ban.)
Timothy Collett

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 25, 2013, 11:26:57 PM »
OK, first obvious problem I see there: You're double-counting two fame points.

Each fame point can only ever be gained once. If you could gain the individual Prestige fame for every character, then fame farming would be as easy as creating a character, getting him up to 10 prestige, then deleting him.

Every fame point is unique. You can never, ever gain the same fame point more than once.

Second, very slightly less obvious problem: Outcast isn't a point you get for being banned. It's a point you get for being banned a lot. (And it's clear from your family history that Johan only has 1 ban.)

That explains it. Thanks.