Author Topic: Speed up region recovery rate  (Read 15199 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Speed up region recovery rate
« Reply #45: September 16, 2012, 02:27:54 PM »
We are supposed to act like those uneducated savages!

That's a player problem, not a mechanics problem.

I guess the biggest problem is that some players just hate losing and just won't accept the consequences...

I agree.

Just because the stakes are high, doesn't mean the war has to be long.  One of the reasons I love love love the new TO system is that assuming you keep military control over a region, you will take it eventually.  No more of these random revolts screwing everything up.  I've had that screw over three wars that I personally started (and had it save my realm once), where even if it would have taken two weeks to take a city, that would have been fine, and the war would have been over less than two months later, one way or the other.

I'm not opposed to the new takeover system. I'm quite fine with taking multi-week takeovers out of the game. And imo, it means that takeovers can be done with less collateral damage, hence reducing recovery time. I'm all in favor of small wars being possible... as long as it is also possible to royally screw over another realm and, after months of pounding on them, cripple them for at least as long as it took you to bring them there.

"The soldiers are uneasy about massacring a people who no longer have the heart to resist."

The realm that pushed the surrender button would then actively avoid battles (don't provoke fights or even align on defenders side of a battle the other side tries to start unless attackers are on murderous, say).

Winning is arbitrary, I really don't like mechanics that would work with such things. What would the "surrender" box do. If it gives morale penalties to the invading troops, wouldn't the defending realm want to insta-surrender while continuing to push the war, just abusing this mechanic for a strategic advantage? Sure, some things could be thought of to reduce abuse, but I think it's too vague and therefore would never be perfectible.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: September 16, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »
The one you referred to, which I assume were Arcachon and Arcaea. Caerwyn and Astrum/SA. And so on.

And Arcaea and Ethiala.  And Arcaea and Greater Aenilia.  And, heck, Arcaea and Soliferum, Arcaea and Mosesadelphia.

And permanent vassalage doesn't work.  There has to be some way for the center of the empire or whatever to change, which is what I started moving toward (and Velax has continued) on the FEI.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: September 16, 2012, 11:22:43 PM »
Winning is arbitrary, I really don't like mechanics that would work with such things. What would the "surrender" box do. If it gives morale penalties to the invading troops, wouldn't the defending realm want to insta-surrender while continuing to push the war, just abusing this mechanic for a strategic advantage? Sure, some things could be thought of to reduce abuse, but I think it's too vague and therefore would never be perfectible.

You're surrendering.  Your troops don't fight, unless the attacking realm forces it with murderous settings, and they don't prevent looting or takeovers.  Add in a cooldown of a month or three before you can "uncheck" the surrender box, and it's pretty much something you would never use unless you were really, truly surrendering.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"