Author Topic: Diplomatic Conventions  (Read 7397 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Diplomatic Conventions
« Reply #15: September 22, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »
Simply making it possible to send send messages to multiple diplomats you've already met (i.e. who are in your contact list) would work, while still necessitating travelling to meet new diplomats.

That will be possible with the new message system we are already testing.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 23, 2012, 12:58:56 AM »
That will be possible with the new message system we are already testing.
i like either options, though how long do you think it will be on the new messaging system? A month (I doubt), 3 months, 6 months, a year? It doesn't't need to be an exact, just a range would be nice too, really anything other than "I have no idea" is a good answer.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #17: September 23, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »
i like either options, though how long do you think it will be on the new messaging system? A month (I doubt), 3 months, 6 months, a year? It doesn't't need to be an exact, just a range would be nice too, really anything other than "I have no idea" is a good answer.

Not much longer, as a large number of the existing options are already included in the new system. There is, however, a bit of fine-tuning and other things still required. Such as the search function and some more filtering options.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 26, 2012, 02:39:37 AM »
I feel as though there isn't much of a diplomat game in existence right now, in regards to any worries. My anecdotal evidence as Ruler and ambassador/diplomat over several characters seems to hint towards this conclusion. There's next to no use for them as most diplomatic interactions occur over Ruler channels and impersonal mediums (letters.) Heck, I've seen this point in-game multiple times as well.

I like this idea a lot, in contrast, as it has the potential to promote personal/physical interaction among diplomats and revives some kind of importance to them outside of signing treaties and slandering/praising other nations to NPC's. This could offer backroom politics, betrayals, trading of information, and anything included in traditional noble scheming.

However, I don't believe government members should be invited, unless they're from the hosting realm or are diplomats themselves. If they are invited, then you once again deter the whole concept of including diplomats, as the Ruler replaces his or her importance immediately. Government members should remain in their nation as they have obligations to do so, unless on military campaign or RARE state visits, while the diplomats do the field work in foreign nations. That's how it was, how it should be, and how it could be with this request.

+1 to the original post.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 26, 2012, 03:08:52 AM »
I feel as though there isn't much of a diplomat game in existence right now, in regards to any worries. My anecdotal evidence as Ruler and ambassador/diplomat over several characters seems to hint towards this conclusion. There's next to no use for them as most diplomatic interactions occur over Ruler channels and impersonal mediums (letters.) Heck, I've seen this point in-game multiple times as well.

I like this idea a lot, in contrast, as it has the potential to promote personal/physical interaction among diplomats and revives some kind of importance to them outside of signing treaties and slandering/praising other nations to NPC's. This could offer backroom politics, betrayals, trading of information, and anything included in traditional noble scheming.

However, I don't believe government members should be invited, unless they're from the hosting realm or are diplomats themselves. If they are invited, then you once again deter the whole concept of including diplomats, as the Ruler replaces his or her importance immediately. Government members should remain in their nation as they have obligations to do so, unless on military campaign or RARE state visits, while the diplomats do the field work in foreign nations. That's how it was, how it should be, and how it could be with this request.

+1 to the original post.

The other way to massively increase the use and power of diplomats/ambassadors would be to just remove the ruler channel.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: September 26, 2012, 03:17:04 AM »
The other way to massively increase the use and power of diplomats/ambassadors would be to just remove the ruler channel.

I don't really like this idea. It's relatively easy to bypass too, with the contacts system.

And let's not forget that not all realms can afford to have a ton of ambassadors. And even realms with lots of nobles don't necessarily have many nobles willing to take the often boring role of the diplomat.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 26, 2012, 03:29:48 AM »
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that idea.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 26, 2012, 03:51:07 AM »

Yeah...no. Sorry, that's always been a terrible idea.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan