Author Topic: Ducal prestige penalties and bonuses  (Read 10639 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Ducal prestige penalties and bonuses
« Reply #15: August 28, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
That would also work if when they first become Duke they receive a temporary +1 for every region already in the duchy.

They just have a +1 for every Lord in their duchy. That's it, nothing more. You just have to count the regions in their duchy and adjust prestige accordingly.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 28, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »
I dunno I prefer for more valuable regions to be worth more but either works.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 28, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Work it up and give the ruler +1 prestige for each duchy in his realm too (or more, if you wish). This would make a "royal" position actually more prestigious, and would stimulate the ruler to create several duchies. Also otherwise, if all regions of a realm are in one duchy, that would be one prestigious duke (which may be, somehow, an exploit... although I don't know how yet. Breaking records maybe?)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 28, 2013, 10:23:01 PM »
Work it up and give the ruler +1 prestige for each duchy in his realm too (or more, if you wish). This would make a "royal" position actually more prestigious, and would stimulate the ruler to create several duchies. Also otherwise, if all regions of a realm are in one duchy, that would be one prestigious duke (which may be, somehow, an exploit... although I don't know how yet. Breaking records maybe?)

If it's +1 prestige per region for the duke, make it the same for the ruler. Since the ruler rules all the regions, he/she should naturally have higher prestige than the dukes.

egamma

« Reply #19: August 28, 2013, 10:42:24 PM »

You'd also have the opposite problem of the King making every single region lord a duke, just to farm prestige.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 28, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »
You'd also have the opposite problem of the King making every single region lord a duke, just to farm prestige.
He can't though. Only cities, townlands, and strongholds. I can't see it as a bad thing if they were all made duke, even if the king just did it for prestige.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 29, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »

Count regions instead of duchies. Problem solved.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 29, 2013, 02:51:15 AM »

If it's +1 prestige per region for the duke, make it the same for the ruler. Since the ruler rules all the regions, he/she should naturally have higher prestige than the dukes.

I don't think that's necessary. A Duchy seceding is already a big deal for a realm. The idea behind this was that Dukes seem to flat out ignore the loss of a region when they should be furious about it.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 29, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »
How much do Dukes flat out ignore the loss of a region? In the very least, I've seen various occasions where Dukes actively try to maintain a core of regions in their Duchies and get upset if a Lord switches allegiances. They don't always throw out in public how this Lord got the better of them, but they certainly don't ignore it. Is it really a problem?

Still, doesn't make this a bad suggestion though, far from it.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 30, 2013, 02:47:15 AM »
I for one have never seen it. In Iashalur several regions switched from Gaston to Niselur duchy and Duke Qadan never said a word to me or as far as I know to the Lords who were abandoning him.

A duke absolutely should publicly rebuke a lord who's abandoning his duchy and stealing his region. That's at minimum. Half the time it should end in a duel if not an ongoing feud between the two duchies.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 30, 2013, 04:47:21 AM »
I for one have never seen it. In Iashalur several regions switched from Gaston to Niselur duchy and Duke Qadan never said a word to me or as far as I know to the Lords who were abandoning him.

A duke absolutely should publicly rebuke a lord who's abandoning his duchy and stealing his region. That's at minimum. Half the time it should end in a duel if not an ongoing feud between the two duchies.
I disagree. Applying any kind of this should always or this should happen half the time, is IMO a bad thing to suggest because you are trying to say all characters or half the characters should do a certain action. Regions switching duchies being a bigger deal, sure, but I disagree with saying a character should always do something, because, no not all characters should be the same, some should be more lax, some more strict on the matter being outraged that a lord would switch duchies, and some being not very happy with the lord for a little while but gets over it soon enough.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 30, 2013, 04:58:12 AM »
I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying every single Duke should get furious, call the lord nine different curses, demand a duel and never speak to the lord again, but they should say something, even if it's just to politely ask for an explanation. Unless the region switch was part of some arrangement he made with the other duke it really should not go without a response.

A duke saying absolutely nothing when a region leaves his Duchy should be as rare as a King not saying anything when a region or duchy leaves his realm.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 30, 2013, 05:11:53 AM »
I don't think that's necessary. A Duchy seceding is already a big deal for a realm. The idea behind this was that Dukes seem to flat out ignore the loss of a region when they should be furious about it.

That's fine. I'm just thinking about consistency in how prestige is calculated, and the fact that the number of regions in a kingdom is more indicative of a ruler's importance than the number of duchies.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 30, 2013, 05:14:26 AM »
I don't think it's a matter of the number of regions alone but also the quality of said regions. Either way most realms aren't ok with regions leaving the realm entirely either.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 30, 2013, 06:01:17 AM »
I don't think it's a matter of the number of regions alone but also the quality of said regions. Either way most realms aren't ok with regions leaving the realm entirely either.

Umm...so we agree then? Or are you proposing a new system where the ruler's prestige depends on "the quality of said regions"?