Author Topic: Infiltrators and tournaments  (Read 1975 times)

Exrook

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Infiltrators and tournaments
« Topic Start: September 26, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »
I run a warrior/infiltrator on Atamara. I had just returned to my capital to park my unit while I headed off to a tournament that has just been announced.  However, I no longer have an option to do so.  As I have been to tournaments many time with this character, I immediately headed over to Bugtracker to see if this had been reported.  I found bug 0007852, where I learn that the previous restriction on infiltrators attending tournaments had been reinstated recently.

I think that attendance should be based on your main class, not your sub class.  Most of the time I function as a warrior - and my honor and prestige reflect that.  There is no in-game way I can think of that the sponsors of the tournament would know that I can function as an infiltrator, and thus no reason for them to ban me from participating.

Thoughts?   

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Infiltrators and tournaments
« Reply #1: September 26, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »
The bug was present for a long time, at least a year. During this time infiltrators were allowed in tournaments. I don't believe this ever caused any sorts of problems.

I ended up switching subclass to attend. I can switch again in the future. This seems a unnnecessary restriction to me.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 30, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »
I must agree, I see no reason to Infiltrators not being allowed to  attend tournaments. It's every nobles birth right correct? I personally think possible if you have a ban in that realm you should be restricted to attending since they know your past deeds and will surely be looking for you.

Switching subclass is tedious, rather just have it lifted. Only governmental nobles should be restricted.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 01, 2013, 12:07:26 AM »
Class restrictions in and of themselves are arbitrary. There is no reason someone who calls himself a courtier or an infiltrator shouldn't be able to command as many soldiers as a 'warrior'. Or why a warrior shouldn't be able to take lessons on trading in his spare time. So don't go thinking the restrictions should have to make much logical sense.

Logical sense, no. Intuitive sense -- yes. Intuitive, meaning that it shouldn't come as a surprise when those things happen. It's intuitive that a courtier wouldn't attend a tournament for instance, because our conceptions of what a courtier is of someone who doesn't attend tournaments. Ditto for infiltrator. When one thinks of an infiltrator, one thinks of either a ninja or a shifty Claudius type fellow hanging around the background of a court. One doesn't think of a warrior renowned battling in a Colosseum.

So it's perfectly acceptable for infiltrators to be barred from tournaments. It would also be acceptable for infiltrators to not be barred from tournaments. There are no conditions for class restrictions other than what the GMs decide based on their own notions of things.