Author Topic: Refugees instead of militia  (Read 2160 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Refugees instead of militia
« Topic Start: August 28, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »
Title: Refugees instead of militia

Summary: There is already a mechanism for peasants to travel from one region to another to escape warfare. Tweak this mechanism such that, in cases of looting or takeovers, more peasants will be refugees than forming militias.

Details: The mechanism already exists, this is just a matter of tweaking numbers.

One possible issue could appear when all neighboring regions are already at max pop. I think the game can handle this, since I have seen regions go temporarily above max pop. I imagine the peasants would move back to neighboring regions when the situation there improves; if they can't (for example if there is continuous warfare), eventually this population pool would die as the actual population decreases slowly to the maximum amount. That's ok.

This is how I imagine it works; not having seen the code it is possible it isn't and that new code would be needed.

Benefits: This would make war less devastating. Currently it is easy to completely ravage an area. Normal looting and takeovers push peasants into militia which get easily slaughtered; breeding back this population takes a very long time.

With this mechanism, the population would not disappear but become refugees. If the enemy army goes away they could easily repopulate the region, bringing it back to full production more rapidly.

This would have several advantages:

-It would incite losing realms to sign peace, as they could more easily rebound afterwards.

-It would force those who wish to permanently destroy an area to actually use the brutal looting options with the consequences attaching. It is now much too easy to act all honorable and do nothing but takeovers, while in fact genocoding the population.

Possible Exploits: With the absence of peasant militia it would become easier for small units to loot alone effectively.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Refugees instead of militia
« Reply #1: August 28, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
Or we could simply lower the number of militia created, or make them stronger.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 28, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »
Migration of this nature would actually be tougher to code than you'd think. Don't get me wrong, I think your idea sounds cool, and it might be something worth doing someday, but I think it deserves to be done properly, which I don't think is likely to happen in the near future.

I think both reducing the number and frequency of the militias, and increasing their strength significantly, is what we need to do for now.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 28, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »
I think both reducing the number and frequency of the militias, and increasing their strength significantly, is what we need to do for now.

It would indeed achieve much of the same goals. If it's easier, I'm all for it!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 28, 2013, 06:39:08 PM »
Or we could simply lower the number of militia created, or make them stronger.
Also, remove the ridiculous militia spawns. Like the one we had the other day on FEI, where 21 peasant tried to stand off nearly 2,000 soldiers.

There should be some final check when spawning a peasant mob that checks the resulting size of the spawn against the troops they would have to fight. If they don't generate a mob with a significant portion of the enemy soldiers, at least half maybe,  then the mob should just disperse without ever forming. Hmm... maybe this should be a feature request by itself.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.