Author Topic: New Player Retention - how do we engage their interest?  (Read 16608 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I believe Tom mentioned something I think is critical: Giving new players something to do (that isn't region maitenance) is key. (I think it was Tom...)

Anyway, I agree with this, and ideas for this should be brainstormed.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Hasn't that been on the Devs to-do list for months or years already? I thought there were already plans, just not enough time to implement them along with all the other priority items.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Was spying really that bad, I know off a few situations in Atamara, though never thought that it decreased the number of messages in realm.
At times, yes. I remember one incident on EC quite clearly. We watched the enemy moving out of one of our regions, and all of their nobles in the regions around it heading back home to refit. So we called an attack to get the stragglers. We clearly outnumbered the invaders in the specific region, but not if you included all the enemies in the surrounding regions.

Almost immediately after we ordered the attack, the enemy began reacting. Nearly instantly. All their nobles in the region stopped traveling. All the nobles in the regions around it (Who came from two or three different invading realms) turned back from their refit, and rushed back to the region we were attacking.

It was blatantly obvious that the enemy knew exactly what we were doing, and had received copies of our orders. Not only were we crushed in the battle, but one of our popular heroes was killed in the battle.

Events like this can greatly impact the amount of information that is shared in a realm. When things like that happen, people instantly pull back and stop sharing information with the realm. Conversations go back to closed groups. Information is closely guarded. New players, who are least likely to be included in privileged groups, are the ones most likely to suffer as a result.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Hasn't that been on the Devs to-do list for months or years already? I thought there were already plans, just not enough time to implement them along with all the other priority items.

There are items along this line in development, but more ideas are good because you never know when that 'ah-ha' moment/idea will come.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Honestly, I don't see that at all.

First of all, in my experience, there was just as much spying back in the day. If anything has ruined trust in the game, it's not spying, but rather paranoia about spying.

Second of all, I was here for ~4 years before the War Islands closed, with characters on both SWI and SEI, and I don't recall seeing any significant change in the way people acted or culture was developed when they were closed.

Over time, however, the older realms—particularly on Atamara and the EC—started to lose some of the habits that were part of their culture in the early years. I don't think this means that they lost their culture, per se. Some of them, I think, suffered from having longtime players who used to develop the culture lose interest and either leave the game, or just become inactive Dukes holding onto power for its own sake. Others, however, just lost the players who used to develop culture, and had new players develop a different one.

I've definitely seen Sirionites describe themselves as Elves, and Ibladesh called the White City, and all sorts of other little cultural tidbits, in the years since the War Islands closed. I think you may be seeing the past through rose-coloured glasses, Blue Star.

I do admit I see the past as a more joyous time, my glasses grow foggy looking back that is for certain. Though it was a different atmosphere in ways cause of the larger community. Draka would march to war and the mountains would shake when we went past Eaglin and Tarassc. Now numbers have surely dropped.

Also, I agree it was the paranoia of spying that really got to people it's still around today. I even saw a noble admit to it spying/ooc confusion. That why many still are pushing for 1 noble per contient/island.  As Indirik stated it is why their are so many message groups. Ah, I remember the Fontan arguments o did we argue and openly, now those are in closed chambers unless they spill out.

I think also a issue is the old guard is unwilling to accept change, and people vote blindly.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I will avoi to speak about the elves since I'm the last man on earth to defend the idea.

About spies and message groups: I don't have anything against spies since we do it in game with a good roleplay. I'm againt when people do it with multies or cheating in a way or another. Also, I see the message groups as a way to improve engagement. Even toay in democratic system, how many secrets we have and how many decisions are taken behind closed doors? This is natural. With a Military Channel, people interested in military subjects will find a way to be there. And they must find a way, because we don't like to step foward and implore for people to have interest... we want to work in many levels with people and their interests in different aspects of leadership. Now we have to cry for have a good Lord when is the Lord who should look for ways to convince a Duke or a majority.

While developers you must create new ways to attract people, but as characters, people must seek what they want instead receive it because we need them one way or another.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I believe Tom mentioned something I think is critical: Giving new players something to do (that isn't region maitenance) is key. (I think it was Tom...)

Anyway, I agree with this, and ideas for this should be brainstormed.

Anaris already mentioned a potential change that will aid in this: Characters can start with an estate. No need to find one at first. That would be awesome for new characters.

I think this could be enhanced with two pieces:
1. Do not allow regions to have lands that are not assigned to an estate. 100% of a region will belong to one estate or another. This means there will be more estates to drop new characters into
2. Find a way to either automatically or quickly put new characters into an army. Possible solution:
    a. The general sets a default army for new characters. This can not be none.
    b. Each has the option of setting a default army for new characters or to let the general decide.
    c. When a new character joins a realm they are automatically assigned to an army.
        i. If the local lord selected an army in step b, the new character is assigned to that army.
        ii. Otherwise, the new character goes to the army the general set in step a.

This way the character should start with an estate and in an army. On day one he gets orders from the marshal: "Move to this region immediately, we need every man on the front!" or |Move to the capital and recruit a good unit. Here is some gold."

At the same time I would suggest that:
* Players have the OPTION to have their new character start with an estate.
* Only newly created characters can start with an estate. Changing islands and such is different.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Anaris already mentioned a potential change that will aid in this: Characters can start with an estate. No need to find one at first. That would be awesome for new characters.

I think this could be enhanced with two pieces:
1. Do not allow regions to have lands that are not assigned to an estate. 100% of a region will belong to one estate or another. This means there will be more estates to drop new characters into
2. Find a way to either automatically or quickly put new characters into an army. Possible solution:
    a. The general sets a default army for new characters. This can not be none.
    b. Each has the option of setting a default army for new characters or to let the general decide.
    c. When a new character joins a realm they are automatically assigned to an army.
        i. If the local lord selected an army in step b, the new character is assigned to that army.
        ii. Otherwise, the new character goes to the army the general set in step a.

This way the character should start with an estate and in an army. On day one he gets orders from the marshal: "Move to this region immediately, we need every man on the front!" or |Move to the capital and recruit a good unit. Here is some gold."

At the same time I would suggest that:
* Players have the OPTION to have their new character start with an estate.
* Only newly created characters can start with an estate. Changing islands and such is different.
I appreciate that your suggestions might make it easier for newbies to hit the ground running. The issue that I take with these ideas is that they limit players' decision-making in a game that's all about decisions. Maybe instead of automating those decisions, provide newbies with helpful tips, such as "It's recommended that you take an estate. The nearest vacant estate is in Region X. Click here for a list of all estates in this realm." Another possibility would be to ask newbies if they want to be assigned a mentor. Wouldn't require much, just a Yes/No questions, and if they pick Yes then a message is sent to a more experienced player saying, "Sir Mixalot needs your wise tutelage." Newbies might be too shy to ask for help, so this would make it easier for them.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Or just allow lords with vacant estates to offer them to nobles without an estate regardless of their location, similar to the old oaths system.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
Or just allow lords with vacant estates to offer them to nobles without an estate regardless of their location, similar to the old oaths system.

Ya it's actually quite a bother to run all the way to a region on the ass- end of the realm to take up a region, especially when you joined in a middle of a war. Why was it changed exactly?
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
+1!!

Having to travel a long distance to pick up an estate is a problem for new players. It's a boring process, which takes time away from doing things that should be more exciting. In larger realms, or when the player starts far from their chosen estate's region, this can take many days to walk there and back.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It's a bore for old players too :p I've been a disenfranchised noble in Astrum for the past month or so because I can't spend the time to travel to my chosen estate.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Or parachute new chars into any region that has a vacant estate, then let them decide for themselves whether to take it or look for another one.