Author Topic: Proposed New Forum Rules of Conduct  (Read 18901 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed New Forum Rules of Conduct
« Reply #30: September 04, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »
This way it will though make it more difficult for the volunteer moderators to handle things, as they must always discuss verdicts and then justify them and then there is whining and then and then and then...endless food for rules lawyers.

No one said there wouldn't be guidelines for the moderators.

But there will not be anywhere you can look to see, "Oh, if I go and call someone a slimy !@#$head, I'll only get a warning and 10 points! It's been long enough since the last time I mouthed off on the forum, I can do that and not have any problems!"

No. The moderators will have broad discretion, particularly to deal with people who would like to be rules lawyers. So someone like the above hypothetical jerk would not just get 10 points if he was known to be a serial offender; he'd get quite a bit more than that. And if he kept it up—trying deliberately to avoid more serious punishments by carefully doling out his venom and vitriol—he'd start finding himself hitting bigger and bigger warnings for the same infractions.

What you suggest would not reduce the "food for rules lawyers," Atanamir, it would be a buffet for them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan