Author Topic: A Good Barbarian Flavored Realm?  (Read 6884 times)

Varwulf

• Knight
    • View Profile
A Good Barbarian Flavored Realm?
« Topic Start: August 31, 2013, 03:54:51 AM »
Greetings all,

I am looking for a Barbarian oriented realm for a potential future character.  I haven't been on Atamara in a good while, or the East Continent, but currently have characters on the other worlds (I am not really a fan of Colonies, so that is out of the question) and I am at my character limit in Dwilight and the Far East.

With that being said, who here knows of a good Tyrannical realm that holds something of a tribe mentality and is perhaps influenced in some (or many ways) by what one might be considered traditional Barbarianism? :)

The character I have in mind would most likely only be suited for a realm such as this.

Another possible sort of realm would be one that sort of follows a kind of Gothic theme, with a heavy emphasis on militarism and conquest.  I know the game is called BattleMaster, but let's face it, not all realms are very militaristic.

I am open to any and all suggestions that fit close to these criteria :)
Varwulf (Vix Tiramora), Rhyndaria (Caergoth), Ikosia (Caergoth), Kunoreyvn (Sandalak), Kimiakiaruni (Sandalak), Balkrom (Nothoi), Sythia (Arcaea), Eviera (Morek Empire)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: A Good Barbarian Flavored Realm?
« Reply #1: August 31, 2013, 04:21:53 AM »
The best fit would probably the Barony of Makar on Atamara. They're vikings. The last vikings, I believe. Currently engaged in defense of their homeland from the civilized forces to the south. Minas Leon and Tara are both tough tyrannical governments on Atamara; Minas Leon was invading the Barony earlier/may again. Darka is a militarist realm with a strong monarchy, defending itself from invasion, but doing quite well against most of the continent. Friends of the Barony. Probably its last friend.

Perdan is a quite militarist realm. Fallangard aspires to be a militarist realm. Those realms are both on East Continent. Not sure what they'd think of a 'barbarian' though. Well, actually High Marshal of Fallangard is nicknamed as a brute I believe, so perhaps moreso than I'd imagine.

Varwulf

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 31, 2013, 04:31:27 AM »
Barony of Makar was my first thought as well.  I wanted to see if there were more out there like them, since my experience as of late has really been Dwilight and the Far East.

Thanks for the constructive post, it certainly will give me some options when the time comes.
Varwulf (Vix Tiramora), Rhyndaria (Caergoth), Ikosia (Caergoth), Kunoreyvn (Sandalak), Kimiakiaruni (Sandalak), Balkrom (Nothoi), Sythia (Arcaea), Eviera (Morek Empire)

Eirikr

« Reply #3: August 31, 2013, 06:40:11 AM »
Barony of Makar is on its last legs, but definitely still a Viking hold... When it goes under, my next suggestion would actually be Thalmarkin on Beluaterra. They're pretty Viking-esque even if they don't consistently use the label.

egamma

« Reply #4: August 31, 2013, 06:52:09 AM »
Lukon, in the Colonies, claims to be barbarian...

Varwulf

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 31, 2013, 07:03:02 AM »
Barony of Makar is on its last legs, but definitely still a Viking hold... When it goes under, my next suggestion would actually be Thalmarkin on Beluaterra. They're pretty Viking-esque even if they don't consistently use the label.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of Thalmarkin myself.  If I am not mistaken Beluaterra has a one character limit though, correct?

Lukon, in the Colonies, claims to be barbarian...

A good suggestion!  I could never tolerate the slow pace of the Colonies though, sadly...

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 31, 2013, 07:12:27 AM »
beluaterra does not have a one character limit. Colonies going to be chaos in the coming weeks though(fun chaos!), though the one turn is frustating at times.
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 31, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »
Barony of Maker does seem like the obvious suggestion. There are a few other realms I've seen that might have the background RP potential to develop a barbarian character.

The RP of Nivemus on the EC is supposed to be something to do with tribes and tribal lands. As an outsider, I'm not actually sure what they mean by that or what the flavour is like inside the realm. I suspect it's not very barbarian or tribal at all, but the RP background of the realm seems to suggest a barbarian character should be possible.

When I used to play in Eston on Atamara, there was some RP folklore about them being horse lords of the north. My impression was that it was meant to be something like Rohan, rather than the Mogols. My brief memory of Caergoth was that they also claimed to be a Viking realm, although it might have changed direction since.

All of those are monarchies rather than tyrannies, though.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 31, 2013, 08:50:01 AM »
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of Thalmarkin myself.  If I am not mistaken Beluaterra has a one character limit though, correct?

A good suggestion!  I could never tolerate the slow pace of the Colonies though, sadly...
Not a one character limit, but it does require that you emigrate there, you can't make a character there, so I would recommend Barony of Makar, and if the realm dies, then go to thalmarkin.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 31, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »
Perdan is a quite militarist realm. Fallangard aspires to be a militarist realm. Those realms are both on East Continent. Not sure what they'd think of a 'barbarian' though. Well, actually High Marshal of Fallangard is nicknamed as a brute I believe, so perhaps moreso than I'd imagine.

Its brutus and it doesnt resemble anything barbarian, it is the name of he who struck the mortal wound upon julius ceasar, or that is where he is named after.
Fallangard aspires to become a military focused realm hopefully involving its self in many wars with the pragmatic, nazi like totilitarian philisophy.
Ow and brutus is a brute, a true psychophat, just not'barbarian'.

Isnt Asylon supposed to be barbarian?
Or at least something close to it?
Brutus the Brute - Kleptes the Thief - Atreus the Brave - Alucina the Lucid

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 31, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »
Its brutus and it doesnt resemble anything barbarian, it is the name of he who struck the mortal wound upon julius ceasar, or that is where he is named after.
Fallangard aspires to become a military focused realm hopefully involving its self in many wars with the pragmatic, nazi like totilitarian philisophy.
Ow and brutus is a brute, a true psychophat, just not'barbarian'.

Isnt Asylon supposed to be barbarian?
Or at least something close to it?
I would certainly consider Asylon barbarian but the player is already at their character limit for Dwilight thus its a semi-useless suggestion.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eirikr

« Reply #11: August 31, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »
My brief memory of Caergoth was that they also claimed to be a Viking realm, although it might have changed direction since.

The claim is still made, though I've never had enough dealings with them to assess it. Of course, politically, I've used it both to my advantage ("hey, we're both vikings...") and to insult ("but you aren't true Vikings, being from the South and all..."). You might be pleasantly surprised if you make a character down there.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #12: August 31, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
I wonder if a Barbarian-flavored realm tastes like bacon?

Also, Darka takes all types, I'm sure you can find some refugee vikings there.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 31, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
I always like to see Thalmarkin as channeled rage. I love to have short fuses in the realm and am kinda sad to have lost a few in recent months. Duels, assassinations, just generally heated discussions liven things up and should never be cracked down upon too hard. Just as long as they don't get in the way of some serious ass-kicking.
Which brings us to the militarism: though we don't have the horde-mentality I know my char is only one of many who actively look for excuses (or casus belli) to attack whoever we want. (Which doesn't mean those excuses are without foundation. :) ). And military success is basically the driving force behind the entire realm.

Basically it's discipline till the battle starts, then unbridled rage, followed by heavy drinking... which still makes us fail the True Barbarian test I guess.. :)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 31, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
The claim is still made, though I've never had enough dealings with them to assess it. Of course, politically, I've used it both to my advantage ("hey, we're both vikings...") and to insult ("but you aren't true Vikings, being from the South and all..."). You might be pleasantly surprised if you make a character down there.

You would not. I just joined Caergoth a couple of weeks ago and it is as dead as dead can be, sadly. Everyone is just quite happily collecting the juicy amounts of gold made in Ash'rily, Wor'ight etc. :-(