Author Topic: You then, vs You Now  (Read 8137 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
You then, vs You Now
« Topic Start: August 31, 2013, 05:06:01 AM »
Simple idea, describe yourself when you started to play BM and why, vs you now.

I started playing almost 4 years ago when I traveled 5 days a week and was away from my wife and 1 child, but spent all day on-line.

Now, I have 3 kids, work locally, but spend 95% of my time off-line.

egamma

Re: You then, vs You Now
« Reply #1: August 31, 2013, 05:41:18 AM »
When I started I had a wife, no kids and had been working at my first job out of college for just over 1 year. I've now been at the same job for 7 years and have two kids.

Varwulf

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 31, 2013, 07:05:14 AM »
When I started I was a high school student (sophomore I believe) who loved games and was generally a nerd...

Now I am a software developer, coding web based software for K-12 schools who loves games and is generally a nerd...

My, how we change over the years :)
Varwulf (Vix Tiramora), Rhyndaria (Caergoth), Ikosia (Caergoth), Kunoreyvn (Sandalak), Kimiakiaruni (Sandalak), Balkrom (Nothoi), Sythia (Arcaea), Eviera (Morek Empire)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 31, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »
When I started, I was engaged, in graduate school and interning in the IT department of my undergrad college, doing general systems administration and hacking out a few scripts for automation. I'd never written a line of PHP.

Now I'm married (coming up on ten years), and after having another job for 6 years in the interim, I'm working as the programmer, support, and sysadmin for the Psych department of a university near where I worked before, working primarily in PHP both in that job and in BattleMaster development.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 31, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
I started when I was barely 13, I believe. Just got to a new school. Some old friends from my tabletennis club (yup) told me about Battlemaster, and I began playing it. Never had a class of English. It was almost a "I'm 12 and what is this" experience, the only difference me being 13.

Now I'm 23, trying to finish off university and starting to look towards the job market more and more. I like to think I learned my English on Battlemaster and so far handling english papers has been a walk in the park.

Ardet nec consumitur.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 31, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
I like to think I learned my English on Battlemaster and so far handling english papers has been a walk in the park.
That's cool  8)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 31, 2013, 10:29:07 PM »
When I started, I had 2 kids, a full-time job and was studying part time. Now, me and my kids are 6 months older.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 01, 2013, 07:38:35 AM »
I started as a Highschool junior. At the time I was undecided on what I wanted to be and had this vague fantasy of traveling around the world doing odd jobs.

Now I'm a College graduate with a film degree. I work at Six Flags in the entertainment department and I know I want to be a writer and film maker.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 01, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
I started to play seven years ago (by the gods) while I finished my studies in Administration. I am Brazilian and despite having formally studied English while a child and as an adult for some time, I can consider myself an autodidact and BM helped me immensely in the learning process. Today I have more written material in English than in Portuguese... texts that are far from perfect, but it's a start (especially when you find yourself frustrated because you cannot write in English as you write in your main idiom).

Well, meanwhile I lost a girlfriend that hated the game (and yes, we had another reasons to break up), found another one (and this time I was smart to make her like the game) and followed Tom's clue to make my bossess let me play while working (as I'm doing now). And I also discovered in Argentina that I prefer to use my BM's English than my Spanish.

I also used the game as a quote in some situations... an example: "Please, bitch... I'm leading 120 gringos"

This what I have to say about BM... and how much I love this game. Ah... gringo is a way we use to call foreigners here in Brasil.  ;)
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 03, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »
Then: 27 year old veteran, 5 years into my career, married with one child...

Now: 38 year old veteran, 15 years into my career, remarried after the death of my first wife, three children (18, 11, 3...sonofa).

This game has been here for me through the toughest and some of the greatest moments of my life.  It has taught me some of my life lessons... and how to manipulate the masses to trick the world into accepting my domination.  OOOR that may have been my government that taught me that.  *shrug* either way...look out world!

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 03, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »
I'm not a BM veteran like some of you, but I wanted to get in on this. :)

I started playing BM just about one year ago. Then I was suffering after a bad breakup, drinking heavily, depressed, and dealing with serious health problems. Now I am feeling happier & wiser, working a good job that respects my limits, and have a group of great friends and a delightful girlfriend.

In a way, I think BM helped me get things back on track in my life from the types of strategic thinking the game requires. Pressing reforms in D'Hara helped me prepare to reform my life.  ;D

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 03, 2013, 11:08:44 PM »
When I started, I was in university studying, and would often cycle to the university at 7pm or so to log in to my BM account for the evening turn. Now I'm working, and it's much easier to make every turn now  ;D

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 04, 2013, 02:02:10 AM »
I started 7 years ago. I was 14, just starting high school, and more than a bit of a lunatic. Wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do, played a lot of video games and was just starting to have my severe asthma subside. Now I'm 21, going into my fourth year of university studying Athletic Therapy (basically field based sports medicine) I work at a cafe and I'm training for my first bodybuilding show.

Still a lunatic though.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 04, 2013, 03:16:55 AM »
When I started 3-4 years ago, I had work at a German company. Had to travel to work daily and working shift. The company is quite far distance from my house. When I reached home after work shift, I feel tired. When I on Battlemaster and relax my mind after a hard work shift, before I went back to sleep. You could say I dream about Battlemaster  :P

Now I have changed to another job at another company, in fact the next job after when I first started. This time is US company but based closer to my new house. After my old house was burned in fire, the only Battlemaster player, Pyran know about my Real Life situation and informed the whole realm I played in that I would not be able to play much at that time. Really appreciate his kind gesture, all this small deeds can go a long way towards our player retention. It may look small to some of us, but for those who receive the kindness, they will remember well. Which make me much more friendly and helpful to all the new players :)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 04, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »
Which make me much more friendly and helpful to all the new players :)

Oh Whatever Ketchum!  We know you are the most evil of us all!