Author Topic: OOC comments insulting another player Case  (Read 38513 times)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: OOC comments insulting another player Case
« Reply #60: September 10, 2013, 03:38:12 AM »
Another point of contention you hold is that Kai wrote his negative (currently an undisputed adjective) OOC messages about the other players' gameplay... Can that not be an insult?

That argument arose when I pointed out that 2 forum users insulted Kai by calling him an '!@#$%^&' on this thread, and a few people were falling all over themselves to excuse it by saying that they weren't really calling him an !@#$%^&, it was just shorthand for saying that he was behaving like an !@#$%^&. Whatever. And then also I had argued that BattleMaster is a team sport, and as a member of a team you ought to be able to criticize your teammates. Kai didn't say, for example, "You're too stupid to play BM" or "You suck because you're from country X," or anything like that. He was expressing his frustration with his teammate.

What makes Kai's messages (and thereby, defenses) harder to swallow is that there is no way to "win" BattleMaster. Essentially, by definition, you cannot be "good" nor "bad" at it. I'm even quite certain that's one of the major selling points of the game. Yes, you can win or lose battles or wars, but there are many IG, IC, non-insulting ways to remove someone who seems to be hurting your realm.

I don't think it's relevant. There's no end to BM as there is in, say, a football game. So what? We're not talking about whether or not his critique was well-founded, as all of the "prosecutors" have strenuously pointed out to me, no matter whether I needed to hear it or not. It doesn't matter if we agree or disagree with his critique, he should be allowed say it, and his realm mates are allowed to refute it if they disagree.