Author Topic: OOC comments insulting another player Case  (Read 38156 times)

Eirikr

OOC comments insulting another player Case
« Topic Start: September 05, 2013, 05:00:46 AM »
In the interest of keeping what is essentially a tangent out of the actual Magistrates case, I've put this in the Q&A section.

In the interests of timely resolution of the case. Other people shouldn't be penalized and have their case resolution delayed for a week or more because of this person's actions.

If he messes up again, he will get warned and muted again, and then he can argue his case with the Magistrates via PM. Or not, as he chooses.

Is there no way to either limit his account's access to the Courthouse only or just temporarily return his rights?

I think Tom is right that he earned it and shouldn't be let off from that by committing another offense. You don't release a prisoner because they commit a crime in jail. (Overblown example, but I'm low on creativity tonight.)

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: OOC comments insulting another player Case
« Reply #1: September 05, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
I think a temporary lift for the period of the case so he can give his side wouldn't be unfair, it could just be reinstated afterward (unless there's a limit in the system this forum uses I'm unaware of) and a close watch kept on him during this time to keep him from offending again.

To use your example Eirikr, when I prisoner commits a crime while incarcerated he's typically tried at a courthouse and kept under guard.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: September 05, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »
He had 65 warning points. That muted him (above 60)

Reducing him to 55 allows him to post everywhere again, and he does.

1 warning point is automatically removed every day.

Let's say the case takes 6 days. He'll be down to 49 at the end.

Even if you add back the 10 points, he'll be at 59 - not muted.

So he can post now, and once the case is done.

So yes, this does effectively negate the moderator actions of the past month.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 05, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »

Is there no way to either limit his account's access to the Courthouse

No.

(Or at least not simply.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 05, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »
Actually, we do let prisoners out for cases. Thing called "posting bail."
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 05, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »
Actually, we do let prisoners out for cases. Thing called "posting bail."

And if they abuse their freedom, then bail can be revoked, and they can go right the hell back into jail for even longer than before.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #6: September 05, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »

But if justified, moderators can give him 15 points, putting him at 64, which is one less than what he started with.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 05, 2013, 03:20:46 PM »

Is there no way to either limit his account's access to the Courthouse only or just temporarily return his rights?

No.

What about asking him to refrain from posting outside of the courthouse?

Eirikr

« Reply #8: September 05, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »
No.

I know there are member ranks for the forums. Maybe create a limited access probation level? Not sure if that is outside the level of 'simple', though.

You reminded me of a point I meant to make: Magistrates cases often take a week or more to resolve anyway. Perhaps this is a more simple case, but it could be argued that serving his time may not even impede the case. (This would be more relevant in the future as it seems it's already been reversed.)

To use your example Eirikr, when I prisoner commits a crime while incarcerated he's typically tried at a courthouse and kept under guard.

Expertly crafted caveat to my example. +10.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 05, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »
I know there are member ranks for the forums. Maybe create a limited access probation level? Not sure if that is outside the level of 'simple', though.

It is.

We're not going to go to the trouble of creating a special one-off set of permissions for Kai just because he habitually posts mean-spirited jibes and other types of distinctly undesirable posts on the forum, and insults people passive-aggressively in-game enough that he gets a Magistrates case opened for him.

Personally, I'd rather just let him make his case in PM, and have the Magistrates post whatever parts they think are inoffensive enough to not cause trouble on the case. But I'm happy to let Indirik's solution stand, as long as Kai doesn't abuse the clemency he's been given here.
Timothy Collett

Eirikr

« Reply #10: September 05, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »
We're not going to go to the trouble of creating a special one-off set of permissions for Kai...

While I hope you don't have to use it again, I'd imagine that it wouldn't be a one-off. I think it's a bit optimistic to expect this only ever to happen with one player. It could be another tool to use; as Tom said in the potential forum rules thread, players may have legitimate appeals to mod action, this would be a good last stand level for those people.

Of course, I'm still in support of full bans if it gets out of hand.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 05, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
This is the kind of busy work I wish you wouldn't waste your time on. If the person is only just above the limit, drop it to 59 (or 55 or whatever). Who cares. This takes care of almost all cases because it is difficult to get more warn points without being able to post. If somehow someone managed to accrue 200 mod points and have a magistrate case opened, deal with it when it happens. It's so difficult to write this without insulting someone, the question is so silly.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 05, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
This is  a ridiculous conversation. Let him speak and then mute him again.

Eirikr

« Reply #13: September 06, 2013, 01:25:04 AM »
It's so difficult to write this without insulting someone, the question is so silly.

That may be your problem right there. Is it so difficult to divorce the core question (Should moderator sentences be suspended for participants in a Magistrates case?) from your own situation and write a non-aggressive, non-insulting post? Honestly, I would find it difficult to make this topic insulting at all without specifically naming names. (Of course, this is also subjective, anyone can get upset at anything.)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 07, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »
In the future, I think I'd prefer to just have them make their case via PM to be reposted at our own discretion, particularly in light of how this one has been going.

In other words, if they've been an !@#$%^& everywhere else, there's absolutely no reason to assume that they won't be the same in a Magistrate case, which we clearly don't need. Leave the mute on, just let us know they've been muted so we can contact them directly to get their side of the story.