Author Topic: Uploading icon  (Read 3043 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Uploading icon
« Topic Start: September 02, 2013, 11:00:17 PM »
Hey,

We recently changed banner and icon for Swordfell on Dwilight. But the icon was not quite satisfactory so I sent up 2 more versions to correct the mistake. The first two times it was approved quickly but it has now taken many days. So I was just wondering if you devs have seen it?

I'm just hoping to eliminate the whiteness that is below the icon (transparency issues) and I believe the latest uploaded version will do that. A good icon is very important for self-esteem ;)
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Uploading icon
« Reply #1: September 02, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
I actually meant to contact you about it.

If you need to make lots of fine adjustments to your icons, don't submit them until you're confident they're what you want.

Please make absolutely sure that the version you have submitted is the final version, and I will be happy to approve it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 04, 2013, 01:34:47 AM »
I actually meant to contact you about it.

If you need to make lots of fine adjustments to your icons, don't submit them until you're confident they're what you want.

Please make absolutely sure that the version you have submitted is the final version, and I will be happy to approve it.

I'm sorry, but I have no problems with the design. I'm just trying to get rid of the whiteness. Since there is no way to "preview", do you have any suggestions? I believe the latest upload fixes it but I cannot be certain.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:36:32 AM by Kain »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 04, 2013, 01:36:33 AM »
Get a photo editor that handles transparncy properly so you can preview it and make sure it works *before* you send. GIMP works pretty well, if you have patience.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 05, 2013, 12:02:24 AM »
I've tried what I can. Please approve the one I uploaded, but if it is still wrong, what is the problem with doing it until it gets right? Should you not be happy that the community is involved to the degree where they want the banners (the visual representation of each realm) to look awesome? :)

I'm not very good at the transparency-stuff with regards to png files. Don't want the realm to suffer because of my lack of skills in the area. I've even asked a designer friend and he says the latest one should work, so I hope it does.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 05, 2013, 12:10:44 AM »
I've tried what I can. Please approve the one I uploaded, but if it is still wrong, what is the problem with doing it until it gets right? Should you not be happy that the community is involved to the degree where they want the banners (the visual representation of each realm) to look awesome? :)

I'm not very good at the transparency-stuff with regards to png files. Don't want the realm to suffer because of my lack of skills in the area. I've even asked a designer friend and he says the latest one should work, so I hope it does.

Or wait, don't do it yet. I want to try something.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 05, 2013, 12:18:56 AM »
Or wait, don't do it yet. I want to try something.

Okey, I found out what was wrong. The image works perfectly if I save it normally. It is when I "save it for web" (in photoshop) and convert it to png-8-image that the transparency gets screwed up.

Do I need to do this? Or can I just save normally and upload that?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 05, 2013, 01:20:40 AM »
Okey, I found out what was wrong. The image works perfectly if I save it normally. It is when I "save it for web" (in photoshop) and convert it to png-8-image that the transparency gets screwed up.

Do I need to do this? Or can I just save normally and upload that?

Sorry, your Photoshop skillz are probably at least as good as mine, and less rusty.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 05, 2013, 02:09:36 AM »
Sorry, your Photoshop skillz are probably at least as good as mine, and less rusty.

Okey :D And what does that mean? That you do not know if I can upload a normal png file? It says on the upload page that they should be "(indexed, not RGB) png".

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 05, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »
I've uploaded a normal png file-version then, and it looks like the one I have as my forum avatar right now (great place to test transparency ;))

Please approve it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 05, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
I've uploaded a normal png file-version then, and it looks like the one I have as my forum avatar right now (great place to test transparency ;))

Please approve it.

Done.

Looks good this time :)
Timothy Collett

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 05, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »
Done.

Looks good this time :)

Yes it does! Thank you!