Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring and History  (Read 13500 times)

cjnodell

Re: Advanced Mentoring and History
« Reply #15: May 11, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
I would also be interested in a tutorial going over the mechanics of starting a new religion...

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #16: May 11, 2011, 11:09:40 PM »
The mechanics of starting a new religion? That's pretty simple. I'll even pop in the links if you want.

Links will be given as the final part of the URL. Hence the preceding will http://battlemaster.org/stable/ if you are playing on a stable world, or http://battlemaster.org/testing/ if you are on a testing world. The link will be something like blahblahblah.php, where the full address would look like: http://battlemaster.org/stable/blahblahblah.php, for example

Very important! Please do not manually modify these links with the intent of attempting to achieve any effects you normally could not achieve. The purpose of these links is to serve as a guidepost such that you will not be confused about whether you are on the correct page.

First, you need to be a region lord. It doesn't matter what type of region, any region will do. Go to your Command page: command.php

Scroll down and click on your Economy link. This should be the fourth link, underneath the following: Return Lordship, Region Description, Manage Estate.

You should now be on this page: Economy.php

Scroll down until you see temples. If you are part of a religion you will only have the option of building a new temple for your religion. If you want to start a new religion, you must not be part of any religion. (Obviously)

You will see an option to build a new temple. Click on it.

You should be taken to this page: EconomyTemples.php?Action=NewTemple

In that page you will have the option of becoming the enlightened founder of a new religion. Follow the instructions once you choose to pursue that option.

There, you are now done. You may have noticed that you have lost all your positions, becoming an unaligned noble in the realm. You are also a Priest with no subclass. If you look at your new temple, you are its only member, occupying the number one spot. Good job, now start doing something with your new religion.

cjnodell

« Reply #17: May 12, 2011, 05:03:18 AM »
Are there minimum honor/prestige requirements (beyond what it takes to become a priest)? Will you lose the hero subclass?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #18: May 12, 2011, 05:09:46 AM »
I think if there are honour/prestige limits they are very low (someone else can fill in exact numbers. ;) ).  I believe priests will not lose their hero subclass, which is an interesting combination. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #19: May 12, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
The minimum H/P is whatever it takes to become a region lord. The reqs are lower than those for a duke I believe, as the last time I had to appoint a duke, the P req was 3. I would imagine even less for a normal lord. In 2008 I believe Garret, who started as 7/1, got appointed as Baron of Upasael with quite possibly that exact H/P.

A Hero H/P req is ?/10. I do not believe there is a min H, but if there were, by the time you hit 10 P H shouldn't be any issue. Why? Because before 10 P you can't be a judge, and can't lose H that way. Before 10 P you can't be an infil either, and lose H that way. If you emigrate a lot, you'll lose P as well. If you get banned, you'll lose P as well. So basically, not an issue unless you're already a judge or infiltrator.

Starting a new religion, last I saw, gets rid of your subclass and makes you a Priest with no subclass. I think the same in-realm time applies for changing back to a hero. Also, I believe that class change is deactivated for 7 days, but I can't be certain of that, having never started my own religion.

cjnodell

« Reply #20: May 12, 2011, 03:04:48 PM »
So it is not definitively known if starting a new religion will cause the loss of all subclasses, or if the Hero subclass remains? What makes the Priest/Hero such an interesting combination besides RP value. It seems that many of the heroes features would stop being applicable once a priest.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #21: May 12, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »
Uh, no...The Hero subclass goes away. Unless someone out there wants to say "No, this has been changed in Revision ABCD".

What is good about a P/H? Well, for one thing, the Hero still has the option to Tell Tales. Pick Up Volunteers obviously doesn't help for a Priest. But also the hero cannot die because unless you try something funny with your religious options, you can't get banned, and subsequently can't die from execution. You can't duel, and you can't battle. So there, an immortal character.

Also, remember how heroes can escape every turn? That still applies. The time regeneration is that of a priest though, so you might not get to escape every turn.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #22: May 12, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »
Whoa, so you can use changing to Priests to get rid of your Hero subclass?  (Can you change back from Priest?)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 12, 2011, 04:50:19 PM »
Just changing to Priest definitely does not take the hero subclass away (although it is then called Martyr instead of Hero).

I don't know for founding religions, apparently it's different.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #24: May 12, 2011, 08:36:34 PM »
Well, yes, unless there were recent changes (Hey Anaris, remember the thing about rogues and subclass?)

This was present even in the old class system, where we had H for Hero and P for Priest. You build a temple of a new religion, you turned into a P. In this system, I believe ALL subclasses get erased. Of course, after the fact, you could switch your classes at will again.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 12, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
you can't get banned

What? What prevents a ban?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 12, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
What? What prevents a ban?

I think he meant "can't get banned by enemy realms."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 12, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »
Ah, makes more sense. I thought he meant domestically.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #28: May 13, 2011, 05:53:00 AM »
Okay, so we're clear on that becoming priests does not take away your hero subclass.

cjnodell

« Reply #29: May 13, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
I think that the assertion was that changing ones class to priest by creating a new religion would cause the Hero subclass to drop but changing ones class to priest would not cause the Hero subclass to drop. So this is now known to not be the case?