Author Topic: Improve Ducal recognition in elections  (Read 2582 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Improve Ducal recognition in elections
« Topic Start: September 12, 2013, 03:02:15 PM »
Title: Improve Ducal recognition in elections

Summary: There is often very little feeling of attachment of Region Lords to their Dukes, especially so in realms where Lords are selected through election. Because the election is realm-wide, you could be forgiven for barely knowing who your Duke is. While this is a general issue that cannot be solved by a game-mechanic magic bullet, I believe the following small change could help.

Details: When an election is called, add the bolded part to the election text:

The region of Kepler in the Duchy of Keplerville is currently without a local lord. In accordance with the realm's laws, the next lord will be chosen by a referendum among the lords of the realm.

Interested candidates can announce their running starting immediately. The winner will become a vassal of Duke Kepler unless he is of equal or higher rank.

You are invited to vote in this election.

Benefits: Better duchy recognition.

Possible Exploits: None, this is a text change.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Improve Ducal recognition in elections
« Reply #1: September 13, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »
Actually... unless Duke Kepler himself becomes the next lord, it's not possible for the new lord to have "equal or higher" position as Duke Kepler due to the way the hierarchy system works. If the next lord already holds the title of Duke or Ruler, then they are not allowed to become a lord in a different duchy.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 13, 2013, 09:20:29 PM »
Actually, it currently appears to be able for a Duke to become a Lord in a different Duchy. The region doesn't switch Duchies if the Duke is elected, which is what I would expect to happen (There's a bug about this on the bugtracker already)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #3: September 13, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »
Actually, it currently appears to be able for a Duke to become a Lord in a different Duchy. The region doesn't switch Duchies if the Duke is elected, which is what I would expect to happen (There's a bug about this on the bugtracker already)

Yeah that's a bug. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 14, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
Yeah that's a bug. :)

Well, if it's fixed such that the region changes Duchy then the text stands, if it's changed such that a Duke could not run in the election then the "unless" part should be dropped.
After all it's a roleplaying game.