Author Topic: Bandit Actions  (Read 3482 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Bandit Actions
« Topic Start: May 08, 2011, 06:23:43 PM »
Just trying to gather a bit more information about the scarce and somewhat mysterious actions of bandits ;)

I know the following actions have been done by bandits:

1) Attack nobles that do not have a unit with them, stealing gold.

I have seen this twice on Dwilight, once against a courtier and the other against an Ambassador.

My three questions are:
a) does this happen outside of Dwilight?
b) has anyone witnessed a priest or infiltrator being attacked by bandits? I ask because I play a priest, and about the infiltrator - there is a chance that one can fight off the bandits, so this is something that I would like to see!
c) anyone know when/why this happens? Is it related to region control or status (eg, rogue regions)?

2) Steal food from carts moving between regions.

Witnessed it once on Far East, heard about it on Dwilight.

My two questions are:
a) What is the dependence of this theft on the states of the regions? I have inferred that it is due to low control in one (or both?) regions, but do the other stats affect it also?
b) Are the caravans immune from this (I am presuming that they are...)

3) Steal the last coins from a ruined temple (bandits and thieves)
I'm assuming this happens when a temple is destroyed, yet not all the gold is lost immediately. Don't know whether the region must be in a bad state or not.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Bandit Actions
« Reply #1: May 08, 2011, 06:44:11 PM »
1)

a) Yes
b) Haven't seen it happen that I know of
c) Random chance when you have no unit to protect you (or a unit with all wounded soldiers), I'm unaware of any other factors but low control would seem to make sense.

2)

a) Control of destination region is a key factor, I don't know about control of sending region but that would make sense.
b) Yes, that's why they cost gold when ox carts don't, they're hiring guards and such.

3)

Region does not need to be in a bad state for this to happen, and your assumption (from what I've seen) is correct.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #2: May 08, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »
Atamara, unitless noble got gold stolen by bandits. EC as well.

There doesn't seem to be much reason why an infiltrator could fight them off any better. Maybe he has a better chance to be undetected or escape. This isn't a Hollywood combat simulator. If you're outnumbered by bandits, some of whom might have spent many years fighting together, and your weapon is a sword or other weapons appropriate for a pre-firearm era, you're usually not going to stand a chance, even if you're in fancy armor.

Caravans might not be immune, but who knows. Right now their main hazard is monsters attacking and destroying them.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 08, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
I'm guessing the priests are immune because they can't carry a unit. While infiltrators can often be seen without units, they can have them - therefore I don't think they are or should be immune.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 08, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
Keep in mind Caravans can still get attacked by Rogue Forces.

What I've also seen, ages ago (And keep in mind my mind is foggy): My character is with an unit in a low-control region (Not sure if they were on Police or not). On Tax Day, I get an event that my unit arrests some bandits stealing tax gold (no special action required). My Noble pockets all the gold they stolen, with no announcement to the Realm as far as I know, allowing me to keep it with no worries.

I was pleasantly surprised :) Not sure if it's still there, this might have been with the old tax system even.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 08, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies all :)

There doesn't seem to be much reason why an infiltrator could fight them off any better. Maybe he has a better chance to be undetected or escape. This isn't a Hollywood combat simulator. If you're outnumbered by bandits, some of whom might have spent many years fighting together, and your weapon is a sword or other weapons appropriate for a pre-firearm era, you're usually not going to stand a chance, even if you're in fancy armor.

If my memory serves correctly, one noble in Caerwyn did manage to see them off, this was why I was wondering about the infiltrators. I don't think the character who saw them off was an infiltrator, however, which is odd. After all, the game mechanics don't always mirror real life.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 09, 2011, 12:07:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies all :)

If my memory serves correctly, one noble in Caerwyn did manage to see them off, this was why I was wondering about the infiltrators. I don't think the character who saw them off was an infiltrator, however, which is odd. After all, the game mechanics don't always mirror real life.

Its not odd. The chance to fend them off is probably based on sword fighting, so any character with good sword skills stands a good chance to fend them off,
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

cjnodell

« Reply #7: May 09, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »
My character in Atramara was attacked by bandits while traveling with a small unit.

Travel Report   (2 days, 8 hours ago)
During your travels, you and your men are ambushed by a group of bandits.
They manage to break through your defences and loot 12 gold coins.You find the route more difficult than you guessed, and will take one hour longer for the trip than planned.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 09, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »
Just trying to gather a bit more information about the scarce and somewhat mysterious actions of bandits ;)

I know the following actions have been done by bandits:

1) Attack nobles that do not have a unit with them, stealing gold.

Nobles with units can be attacked, as well, though the chances are smaller. The more gold you have, the higher the chances.

You do have a chance to fight off the bandits. During my travels as a trader on Dwilight, I was attacked a couple times, but always managed to fight off the bandits. I presume it's ot that difficult, if you don't carry too much gold. My character didn't exactly have high sword skills.

I have seen this twice on Dwilight, once against a courtier and the other against an Ambassador.

My three questions are:
a) does this happen outside of Dwilight?

Of course.

b) has anyone witnessed a priest or infiltrator being attacked by bandits? I ask because I play a priest, and about the infiltrator - there is a chance that one can fight off the bandits, so this is something that I would like to see!

Priests, no. (Although they should have the same chances as anyone else to be attacked. No reason they should be exempt.)

Infiltrators are now, I believe, treated the same as any other class. So, they should be able to be attacked.

c) anyone know when/why this happens? Is it related to region control or status (eg, rogue regions)?

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the amount of gold you are carrying.

If you have caravans, then monster attacks can happen, which is related to the amount of food you are carrying, and the strength of the monster group in the region.

2) Steal food from carts moving between regions.

Witnessed it once on Far East, heard about it on Dwilight.

My two questions are:
a) What is the dependence of this theft on the states of the regions? I have inferred that it is due to low control in one (or both?) regions, but do the other stats affect it also?

I'm pretty sure it's related to the Control status of the regions. The lower the control, the more likely food is to be stolen from ox carts.

b) Are the caravans immune from this (I am presuming that they are...)

I don't believe automated caravans are subject to bandit theft from low Control, but automated caravans can be attacked and wiped out by active monster groups in the regions they travel through. (The monster attacks may just be on testing islands right now.)

3) Steal the last coins from a ruined temple (bandits and thieves)
I'm assuming this happens when a temple is destroyed, yet not all the gold is lost immediately. Don't know whether the region must be in a bad state or not.

This is just flavor text to handle the disbursement of whatever gold happens to be left in the treasury when the ruined temple is finally removed at the end of the month. Ruined temples can't be used, but there might still be gold left in the treasury. This lets the religion reclaim some of that gold.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.