Author Topic: Tournaments, Pt. 5: Other, Minor Changes  (Read 2807 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Tournaments, Pt. 5: Other, Minor Changes
« Topic Start: September 23, 2013, 04:01:48 AM »
Title: Tournaments, Pt. 5: Other, Minor Changes

Summary:

Additional suggestions for tournament changes.

Details:

- remove the ability to buy drinks for everyone
- implement betting based around the staggered match system proposed in Pt. 2, as well as allow betting in early rounds to determine grand winners, etc. (Such as betting on if a knight makes it through round 1, or betting on if a knight wins the entire tournament.)
- allow participants and spectators of a tournament to post messages to the region the tournament is being held in.

Benefits:

- mostly just getting rid of stuff that no longer really fits, and some small additional changes to make tournaments more inclusive and fun

Possible Exploits:

- none

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments, Pt. 5: Other, Minor Changes
« Reply #1: September 23, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »
Buying drinks is not likely to be removed. There is no problem with nobles drinking together: the thing that doesn't fit is nobles hanging out in alehouses with gutter scum.

Your Part 2 will almost certainly not be implemented, thus this second suggestion is moot.

Referring back to my reply to Part 1, I have thought for some time that the most sensible way to allow spectators at a tournament is to let nobles in the region the tournament is actually being held in to move in and out of the tournament grounds—thus, those in the region would be able to send messages to the tournament, but not the other way around.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 23, 2013, 03:12:19 PM »
but not the other way around.

Is there any compelling reason not to simply merge the "in region" and "in tournament" messages? The tournament is on the tournament grounds, which is in a region, thus you can send messages to all in the region. It's not like the nobles would have been sequestered in the arena!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 23, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
Is there any compelling reason not to simply merge the "in region" and "in tournament" messages? The tournament is on the tournament grounds, which is in a region, thus you can send messages to all in the region. It's not like the nobles would have been sequestered in the arena!

Because the tournament is being held in a region of a realm that may not want to have its business entirely disrupted by reams upon reams of inane chatter for a week.

If those in the region who want to join in can simply click a button labeled "enter the tournament grounds" and immediately have access to the tournament chatter, I can see no good reason to force it upon everyone outside the tournament grounds.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 23, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
If those in the region who want to join in can simply click a button labeled "enter the tournament grounds" and immediately have access to the tournament chatter, I can see no good reason to force it upon everyone outside the tournament grounds.

That makes sense! I had interpreted your earlier quote as meaning "the spectators can send messages to the participants, but not the other way around". If there is button to separate spectators from those simply passing by that solves it.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 23, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
Referring back to my reply to Part 1, I have thought for some time that the most sensible way to allow spectators at a tournament is to let nobles in the region the tournament is actually being held in to move in and out of the tournament grounds—thus, those in the region would be able to send messages to the tournament, but not the other way around.
That doesn't really work, though. Travel times and political borders would severely limit the amount of people that can attend. And the reasoning behind it would be pretty odd, too. Why can someone who is competing travel across the entire map without limits in a couple days, and then go home instantly, but someone not competing has to slog their way there, slowly with soldiers in tow, and then walk all the way back home?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 23, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »
Because the tournament is being held in a region of a realm that may not want to have its business entirely disrupted by reams upon reams of inane chatter for a week.

To be fair, an event like a tournament should be highly disruptive to the local business. Ever lived in a smallish city during a major festival? Completely disruptive.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 23, 2013, 08:13:20 PM »
I think there would be value in both those in the physical location having a 'visit tournament' link and allowing spectators to travel to tournament without having to be in the physical region.

Though I might be falling into the feature creep pit and I'm not 100% convinced of the idea, the idea of allowing tournament-goers to send a message to all in region, instead of just the tournament, could perhaps be done with a gold fee, such as with advy-guild messages or hiding your recipients.