Author Topic: Tournaments, Pt. 1: Allow Realm Council to attend  (Read 1734 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Tournaments, Pt. 1: Allow Realm Council to attend
« Topic Start: September 23, 2013, 02:31:48 AM »
Title: Tournaments, Pt. 1: Allow Realm Council to attend.

Summary:

Allow realm councilors (judge, general, banker, ruler) to attend tournaments as either participants or spectators.

Details:

- allow realm council members (ie, the four rulers of a realm: banker, judge, ruler, general) to attend tournaments, either as combatants or as spectators*
- if as spectators, add ability to spectate
- if as spectators, allow other classes (beside only just warrior) to attend tournaments, but only spectate

Benefits:

- more fun, more roleplay
- puts more power in the players' hands, and removes needless limitations (ie, if people are worried about how a realm might run itself without its King present, then have the characters themselves forbid their King from leaving, etc. - don't make it impossible, and then call it a feature)
- makes holding a tournament to celebrate an occasion more possible - now, if there's a tournament called by the Ruler, the Ruler can actually attend and respond to roleplay messages directed at him, etc. Ie, "This tournament is to celebrate my birthday!" ("Oi, where's the King? It's his birthday. It's his party. He's paying for it. Why isn't he here?")

Possible Exploits:

- none that I can see

Other:

When this comes up, the argument against it typically is "but no one would ever dare joust against their King!" Or: "Kings never jousted historically!" Wrong. Kings jousted just as much (depending on their personal love of the tilt) as any other knight, and sometimes even more often since they had the funds to pay their way through any number of tournaments. Hell, King Henry II died in a jousting accident. There are accounts all over the place of rulers jousting.

From wikipedia: "Froissart describes a tournament at Cambray in 1385, held on the marriage of the Count d'Ostrevant to the daughter of Duke Philip of Burgundy. The tournament was held in the market-place of the town, and forty knights took part. The king jousted with a knight of Hainault, Sir John Destrenne, for the prize of a clasp of precious stones, taken off from the bosom of the Duchess of Burgundy; it was won by Sir Destrenne, and formally presented by the Admiral of France and Sir Guy de la Trimouille."

Additional "Tournament, Pt. X" will address the issue of throwing a match so their liege might win, however.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments, Pt. 1: Allow Realm Council to attend
« Reply #1: September 23, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »
There are already (nebulous) plans to allow anyone who wishes to attend tournaments as spectators.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 23, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
With this everyone may wish to join as spectators, it gives a great scope for RPing.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 23, 2013, 06:23:52 PM »
There are already (nebulous) plans to allow anyone who wishes to attend tournaments as spectators.
A simple way of doing things might be to simply allow anyone to attend, but only allow the Warrior class to actually compete. If we still don't want council members to compete, then exclude them, too. That shouldn't be too hard of a SQL statement to write when assembling the list of competitors.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.