Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring and History: How to Gain Influence  (Read 13456 times)

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I find that most of the time, unless your marshal is incompetent (which is a whole other discussion), vice marshals don't get much to do mechanically, and I think that is why most end up not doing anything.  It's up to the marshals and generals to tell the VM what they expect of a good VM.

Yes that's pivotal. All Marshals should spend some time telling the VM what they want from him to form a good team. It may very well be "speak only when I'm wounded", but often I tell him just to order in my stead if I am late or things like that.

songqu88@gmail.com

I have an idea regarding the Vice-marshal, but since I probably want to do it IC for one of my characters...I hesitate to say it.

But whatever, it might lead to some more involved vice-marshals hopefully.

As Vice-Marshal, be proactive. Volunteer to do the army reports, you know, where you go around and collect unit status data from all your members. Let the marshal focus on tactics and organization, while vice-marshal focuses on making sure those orders are received and followed.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
As a VM I'm trying to get some drills to be started, now it's peace time. Any hints on that?

I thought of testing these:

*movement rate
*reaction speed to late orders
*scout requests
*misdirections, splitting up forces
*digging in
*behavior when chain of command is disrupted

Other fun things to do when drils are held? Or are they just generally boring... (never attended one, let alone lead one myself)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
*reaction speed to late orders

That's tiptoeing the line on the "Play at your own pace" IR. I know I would hate it.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
That's tiptoeing the line on the "Play at your own pace" IR. I know I would hate it.

Not if there's no punishment for those who don't follow.  You're supposed to find out what the play speed is and work that into your plans.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Not if there's no punishment for those who don't follow.  You're supposed to find out what the play speed is and work that into your plans.

Exactly. I didn't say I wanted to train people to react faster. I just want to know what % of people we can count on to, for instance, move within the turn orders have been given...

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Exactly. I didn't say I wanted to train people to react faster. I just want to know what % of people we can count on to, for instance, move within the turn orders have been given...

Well, there's already a big difference between checking how often people log in, and whether or not they can be counted on to log in at 5:55 (or whenever is the turn in your time zone).

egamma

Well, there's already a big difference between checking how often people log in, and whether or not they can be counted on to log in at 5:55 (or whenever is the turn in your time zone).

But as long as you don't punish anyone for not logging in at a certain time, it's really nobody's business.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
To have a marshal announce "I'm going to run some test by issuing late orders, follow them if you can't, but don't worry otherwise" would be bad enough for me. It has undertones of "I won't punish you, but you should get better" while, as a matter of fact, you shouldn't.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
To have a marshal announce "I'm going to run some test by issuing late orders, follow them if you can't, but don't worry otherwise" would be bad enough for me. It has undertones of "I won't punish you, but you should get better" while, as a matter of fact, you shouldn't.

Why would ou even announce that? I'd just purposely supply orders not long before the turn, and see what comes of it :) it would be perfect if I can find two regions bordering a third, both with one-turn travel times. Everybody ending up in region A was slow, everybody in B was quick, and everybody left in C was an unreliability.

These drills would not at all be about punishing nobles. They are purely to test variables in the army.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Though the line is thin, remember that Tom did say that rather than punishing the nobles who are not as active, you need to work with their schedules and plan accordingly.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I find that most of the time, unless your marshal is incompetent (which is a whole other discussion), vice marshals don't get much to do mechanically, and I think that is why most end up not doing anything.  It's up to the marshals and generals to tell the VM what they expect of a good VM.

I've seen Vice Marshals becoming Generals before Marshals do.  It has happened twice in Ohnar West at least.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
I've seen Vice Marshals becoming Generals before Marshals do.  It has happened twice in Ohnar West at least.

So were the Marshals incompetent? ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Woelfen

• Knight
  • Falling awake
    • View Profile
So were the Marshals incompetent? ;)

Maybe the Generals were too? ;)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Competence is overrated.