Author Topic: Can the colonies bounce back?  (Read 10184 times)

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
Can the colonies bounce back?
« Topic Start: September 27, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »
As of 27 september, the colonies has only 91 character, of those 85 are nobles, 1 dead?? guy. And with some players having 2 characters, my last rough count was around 65 players for the entirety of colonies. Do you guys think the Empire plan will bring back players or is it going to slowly spiral?
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Can the colonies bounce back?
« Reply #1: September 27, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »
Difficult question. While dividing the Colonies up has great potential, it remains to be seen whether that can lead to fun, dynamic realms. Although eight or so realms will lead to greater opportunities for many more people, joining a realm of five or so nobles isn't going to be as exciting as finding a bigger realm on another continent.

Of course, perhaps the best medicine would be to finally see the empire plan put into action. Efforts have been made in-game to achieve it for 9-10 months now but the Colonies still isn't quite there yet.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 28, 2013, 04:22:16 AM »
I like small realms, but 5-8 characters aint going to produce a dynamic realm  :-\,
maybe we could promote interaction through the Empire guild that was built in Portion? We could ask everyone to join the guild, it would at least be a fun experiment to have an island wide guild. When the empire breaks down (which it will...), then maybe we will only have the vestiges of the empire left such as the guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 30, 2013, 12:11:18 AM »
We can't know whether the Empire will succeed as an island reboot, but I'd be surprised if establishing it doesn't generate a few new feuds to play out in time and having eight realms will offer some great opportunities.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 30, 2013, 03:17:26 AM »
Colonies is suited for slower interaction and gameplay. Good for a long term conflict and also players who have lesser playing time. Even the travel time can be long indeed if we are to travel half the map. Maybe we can focus on the uniqueness of Colonies island to promote it ;)

About the Empire. Should we to split off into many new realms, each realm will consist of around 10 nobles plus, maybe even lesser number. Good for keeping nobles in the realm as everyone will be talking more I guess, keeping my finger crosses for it. There will be even more politics, conflicts as everyone in the realm teamed up against other realms. Like Jaron says, we should join that guild and keep the wide island interaction ongoing. Empire will not last long indeed, sometime later it will break up. At least we have the legacy of it ::)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 01, 2013, 12:19:58 AM »
...it's not an Empire!!!
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Jaden

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 01, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
saying Empire is easier than saying "splitting up into one city realms", and its cooler too  8)
Wont it at least be a nominal Empire? We should design a coat of arms for the Colonial Empire!

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 01, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »
...it's not an Empire!!!

Of course it is not an Empire James (all smiles)...

No it really is not.  The title of Empire was started by me sort of by accident.  Looking for a way to communicate the idea to everyone from the perspective of a barbarian Queen.  The idea was to call it something that everyone could associate with.  Had I called it the unified colonial established NATO UN organization of battle and love...well it would take to long.

If everyone can imagine an ancient UN then we would be close.

Besides, the whole thing will never last long... but it will give us a chance to figure out some Colonial standards we want our island to live by.  Other islands come up with little tidbits here or there that they deem socially acceptable, but the Colonies need that extra thought to make sure we encourage all character types to stay.

In other words how do we keep people from getting frustrated and leaving or being booted/run out.

The answer is reforms to our society on the island.  Reboot the realms while we let everyone join the senate to discuss things.  Find a way (that is not complicated...ie keeping track of all the infiltrator actions for every infiltrator) to be accepting and forgiving using game mechanics while still holding the awesome IC grudges that make playing fun.

I put out some ideas at the start of all this but refused to go into too much detail because to be honest this is not about me...not about James (who must kneel before the Empress)... this is about the Colonial society of characters and really the players also.

As for growth, think from the perspective of a new player.  You see a island that is one turn a day but beyond that it only has four options for realms to join.  Change that to having 9 or perhaps even 10 (if only the Arak Castle was in play) realms to choose and the island appears more appealing.

Along with the Colonial Senate (which I hope will help to keep everyone in communication so that small noble count realms will not run low on political intrigue) we should see guilds with cross realm memberships...  More duels to satisfy honor... more Tournys to entertain...

All of this is a very important and very big change I think anyway.  IF we can reign in Ares and Garm that is...before they try to eat the world.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 22, 2013, 06:28:35 AM »
damn you Lucivar! I knew i would regret that letter....

Letter from Johan Jaron   (13 minutes ago)
Message sent to the Judges of Colonies (4 recipients)
Arch Priest,

If this is the end of Aren, then I will die fighting alongside it. See you on the battlefield.

Regards,

Johan Jaron
Lawgiver of Aren
Duke of Alowca
Margrave of Alowca

5 minute before turn change....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:38:16 AM by Jaron »

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 22, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »
Does this make the famous last words list? A hero never say die... Say live instead.

RIP Johan, we shall miss you :(

I guess Colonies clock will continue on. Lot of history to be make...
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 22, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »
This, and the surrounding context, would definitely be appropriate for http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Quotes

Barrons

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 09, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »
Holy Schmoly, What a tangled web we weave! I find it quite amusing that the description of the Colonies is slow paced and peaceful. This is one intense place and hopefully things can move along quickly! Quite the socio-political regulating body of miscommunication, I think (I know what I said doesn't make sense, exactly!). What everyone is trying to do here seems very difficult, but for the sake of new players (me) I hope it works out. Could be very interesting!

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 10, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
Barrons, have you joined the Colonial Senate yet?

Barrons

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 11, 2013, 07:13:51 AM »
Of course I have joined, I am still gathering my wits. As a newcomer, it is difficult to butt in! ;)  I also have the luck of a ruler that is causing a stir! Don't know what to do quite yet. I hope we can all play nice soon.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 11, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »
Barrons, have you joined the Colonial Senate yet?
She is Lady Brisa Barrons, Aren Judge.No need to thank me ;)

Of course I have joined, I am still gathering my wits. As a newcomer, it is difficult to butt in! ;)  I also have the luck of a ruler that is causing a stir! Don't know what to do quite yet. I hope we can all play nice soon.
There is plenty for everyone. We shall have new Eden arise soon. Come join in and who know, you may know more people and have fun :P