Author Topic: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life  (Read 71323 times)

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life
« Reply #195: February 02, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »
Written by the player of Vespesia Caesara. An interesting proposal!

The Only Way to Know Someone...

The sun was making its daily last stand as her garden was bathed in golden light.  On the far edge of the horizon, the moon pushed out the last light of day with all its titanic might, only, Vespesia knew, that it would in turn be bested and the sun would rise again.  Vespesia was more at ease than she had been for almost a year.  Constant war, travelling on the road, putting down monsters, and keeping up appearances before her soldiers could drain even the mightiest of warriors.

It was good to be in Noble company again, the constant bowing and reverence of her staff and soldiers made Vespesia grow weary, and she relished the chance to talk with an equal.  No, someone far more traveled and experience than she.  The pair walked amongst the roses and marigolds, talking and laughing as they shared their stories of court and war.  As the last rays on sun began to fade, they came upon a small clearing in the garden, used for the entertaining of guests at parties.  Summer wildflowers bloomed all around them, and Vespesia gave mischievous smile, as she could finally do what she had wanted to do with Aldrakar since she had first laid her eyes on him...

Vespesia walked to the center of the clearing, as Aldrakar stood, closing his eyes and breathing deeply of the cool summer air, and the wonderful smell of flowers.  Vespesia noticed that he seemed far away, as if in a memory, she smiled to herself that a man such as he would likely have much to remember.  Vespesia cleared her throat, snapping the man from his reverie, "Aldrakar, I would like to thank you for a wonderful afternoon.  I have enjoyed your company, and if would not be any trouble I would love to hear more about your time as Emperor of Luria Nova, as I'm sure you have a great many humorous anecdotes!  But first I will ask you to indulge me!  Otto, if you would please..."

As she spoke, Vespesia's steward, Otto stepped quietly into the small clearing, holding a long and thin object, covered in fine velvet cloth.  Otto quickly walked over to Aldrakar and pulled from the velvet cloth an arming sword.  It was simply made, the only special ornamentation being its silver crossguard and an inscription along one side of the blade, "The Truth Will Set You Free".  Aldrakar took the blade with some hesitation, unsure about what Vespesia intended, but she didn't make him wait long for an explanation.

"My fencing instructor was a man by the name of Berthold.  He came from Astrum in the north and spent many years fighting both men and beasts.  He had a belief that he in turn spent much time instilling into me:  that you can never truly know someone, indeed, understand them and they understand themselves, until you do battle with them.  Personal combat strips away all lies, Royal Aldrakar, both what we tell to others and those we tell to ourselves.  It shows us who among us who are cowardly, who are brave, who are cautious, or those who are headstrong.  The sword lays all bare to those that wield them.  And so, Aldrakar, I ask that you will allow me a chance to truly know who you are, and in turn show you who I truly am.  Let us test ourselves in a friendly sparring match.  I very much want to test myself against one of such experience and renown as yourself!"

Finishing her speech and letting down her long black hair, Vespesia took off her leather coat and slowly drew her own sword, a slimmer and longer sword than most, with a hilt and crossguard made of blackened steel.  SHe smiled broadly and shook the last sharp vestiges of wine and heady fragrance from her mind, hoping that her offer would be accepted...