Author Topic: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life  (Read 70831 times)

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life
« Reply #75: August 06, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »
And of course my response. A bit of a puzzle perhaps but maybe it's fun if I don't reveal too much.

Ellyn - Aldrakar 5

The seal of protection

In the small cabin aboard a ferry from Giask to Askileon Aldrakar sat on a simple and creaking chair as he witnessed the powerstruggle between bedridden mistress and maid. "Find him something good to drink, and myself as well. I am tired of boring tea...." Ellyn Coquard said to Sarea, her handmaiden. The two argued quietly for a short while that saw mistress prevail, this time.

He tried to avert his eyes briefly and then simply accepted the situation for what it was. A friend visiting a sick friend. He leaned back into the chair and agreed with Ellyn.  ''I don't much care for tea.'' he rubbed the bridge of his nose to rid himself of a passing itch. ''I'm fine though, I didn't come here for a drink and neither does your hospitality dwindle because of its lack.'' He looked ruefully at her for a moment but it soon took on a more bright quality as she asked him to retrieve a pouch that lay on a nearby table. It was a simple thing to do and he didn't mind.

Expertly handling the ring which he discovered hung from a necklaces of pure silver Ellyn soon offered it to him. "I do have to thank you for the protection this could have given had it been needed. Unfortunately nothing could have protected me in the Ember Estate from Blackmane, but I'm still alive and mostly well, so that is to be celebrated." she said as she rebelled in a minor way against the confines that was the bed.

He reached out to take the ring from her upturned palm. ''It never really was protection, only a ring.'' As he withdrew his hand he looked at Ellyn. ''I should have send a trusted man instead of it. So we always think in hindsight I guess.'' Feeling a tension creep into his shoulders he shrugged heavily. Memories of the Emperor's fondness of Ellyn surfaced. At the same time did a growing sense of Duty urge him to leave. "One would think drinks wouldn't take long to get..." Ellyn said to dispel the growing silence.

Joining her in looking at the door Aldrakar rose from his chair and turned back to face Ellyn. ''I should be going. Its unbecoming for us to be in the same room alone.'' His face hardened a bit as the words exited from his lips. ''Thank you for the drink but it will have to wait until a time where you are restored to health and the setting is more receptive towards the concept.'' Straightening his leather and heavy cotton garb, akin to military uniform, Aldrakar paced towards the door. Arriving there he turned and made a formal bow. ''It has been a privilege Ellyn, I shall leave to you now to rest.'' A stern nod followed. He turned to the door and soon exiting through it. Sarea almost bumped into him with a hemp bound bottle of a deep verdant green color and some glasses. Wherever she had retrieved actual glasses on a ferry like this mystified Aldrakar but he didn't comment as he passed her by.