Author Topic: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life  (Read 71285 times)

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life
« Reply #75: August 25, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »
Hey there, glad you're back. Today I got a nice little bit of writing about family values I suppose. Aldrakar in Giask with his 2 boys and then a third of a sort. Enjoy!

A Third Son

The day was gaining. The sun provided warmth, dispelling the lingering cold of the night that came before. Color, by the spouting seeds that blanketed the earth. The day grew slowly as light outlasted darkness. Aldrakar looked out of a small, stained glass window set in the ancient cobble wall. He saw children playing.

Since the Take over of Giask he had made a small tax collectors station his base of operations. It had quick access to the craftsman district to the west of the city. He had been focusing on them for they were the beating heart of Giask or so he believed. All produce went to them and transformed into something else of even greater value.

The room was small but well designed, much like the entire building. Figures a tax collector to spend money wisely and frugally. Putting down the quill several black droplets splashed onto the desk. Once they dried none could discern these new ones from the old ones. The desk was akin to a leopard and so it didn't fuss Aldrakar. Leaning back on the protesting chair he extended his arm and pushed open the little window, it too protested a little bit.
''Asher! Bring Caedemon inside will you, I want to speak to him.'' Aldrakar called to his youngest son. Asher stopped dead in his tracks as he let a leather ball roll away from him. ''Yes Daa!'' His reply followed swiftly.

Aldrakar glanced around the small enclosure that existed as part of the tax collectors office. It was lined with low olive trees providing shade and entirely meant as decoration. The placed was tiled with soft limestone, broken white in hue and gave off or attracted, whatever it was, a lot of dust. Servants swept often but it could always do with some more.

Enjoying the quiet for a brief moment Aldrakar heard the impending sound of running children. Some irregular knocking on his door preceded 2 children entering the small office. Aldrakar's eyes met Asher's. ''Thanks son.'' The look was enough to inform the boy that he shouldn't stay and he left again, leaving Ceademon, the Son and Heir of Hendrick Madigan, former King of Sun Hall alone with a renowned warrior.

Ceademon was a quiet boy, 11 summers by now and should know all the proper skills. He was trained hard by his father and relentlessly pushed to be the very best. A prodigy for any other family but just a Madigan to me, Hendrick had intoned. Aldrakar studied the dark haired and slender boy for a moment. The boy grew nervous and made a bow ''Caedemon Madigan, I bid you a good morning my Lord.'' he peeped. Sun spilled into the small office and reflected off the swirling dust particles giving the room an ethereal sheen.

''At ease boy, we know one another.'' His lips spread in a warm and welcoming smile. ''How are your studies going?'' Rooted in place Ceademon needed little time to reply ''My Latin is superb, Etiquette likewise, with Stewardship I made an error with my last project and Lurian History I was given top marks by Master Gilver.'' The words gave Ceademon confidence and Aldarkar smirked as he perceived it.

''What about poetry? What do you know of tactics, how good is your technique with a Rondel dagger and which type of fabric is best for marching tents?'' Arching his eyebrows high Aldrakar stared at a startled Ceademon. The boy was trained rather classically and knew little of the outside world. The nasty, dark and cruel, real.. world. ''I know some of the Askileon wordmaster's words.'' The boy remarked in a soft and defensive voice. The impressive warrior made an exaggerated nod. ''What.. is a Rondel sir..?'' White flashed on Aldrakar's face. His teeth catching the light and soon he laughed. ''It is a fine dagger that you'll need when you fight armored foes boy. Don't worry, you'll get familiar with one soon enough. What about the tents?''

Ceademon put a hand to his chin as he took on a thinking posture, a stance taught by etiquette and Aldrakar allowed some time. ''Cotton?'' Ceademon said at last. ''No. Cotton isn't the best.'' Aldrakar leaned back in his chair. ''Your father has asked me to resume your education Ceademon. Your numbers and letters are fine, continue them you shall but.'' He rose from his chair and crossed the small room towards the door. ''You'll have to do some catching up if you are to be a knight as well.'' He opened the door and strode deftly through the hallway towards the exit. ''You can ride but not fight from horseback. You don't know weapons and are a middling fighter at best for your age. You need to learn morals and poetry so you can truly see the beauty of the world and know its darkness when you face it. Darkness is a master at deception Boy and you need eyes able to perceive it.''

Ceademon had to run to keep up with the tall Warrior that was Aldrakar and felt unease at the prospect of his future. Little did he know that he was provided a huge boon by his father. Pushing open the door Aldrakar allowed Ceademon to catch up with him and together they stood facing the enclosure. Asher and Aldrakar II stood there looked back at them.  The first a tiny bit shorter than the latter and both perfect replica's of their father if only much younger. ''Sons, Ceademon is now one of us. See him like a brother and treat him like family.'' The two boys regarded the older boy for a moment and Ceademon looked uncomfortable. ''Yes Father!'' Both sons chirped almost simultaneously. Aldrakar knew joy as he saw the three of them, Ceademon, Asher and Aldrakar II play with the ball that afternoon. Children made friends easily just as they could be cruel easily. Aldrakar stared at Ceademon and thought back on Hendrick, it was hard to realize the man would not be returning. Then he turned back to the papers again. Work was never done.