Author Topic: Tournament Draw Fixing  (Read 2172 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Tournament Draw Fixing
« Topic Start: October 08, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
Title: Tournament Draw Fixing

Summary: Allow participants to bribe the tournament officials into fixing the tournament draw so that they can fight another participant of their choice.

Details: Less randomness, more rivalry, more active and immersive tournament experience.

Benefits: See above.

Possible Exploits: picking weak targets to advance yourself. Negligible as long as the bribe is high enough, in my opinion.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Draw Fixing
« Reply #1: October 08, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
Nope.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 11, 2013, 04:47:00 AM »
Nope.
What about the tournament holder being able to do something along those lines?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 11, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »
What about the tournament holder being able to do something along those lines?

No.

No one gets to fix tournament results. Tournaments are an Inalienable Right and a place where everyone can get together to see, in a wholly unbiased manner, who is the best swordsman and jouster on the continent.

Furthermore, any form of fixing would be so deeply exploitable we'd basically have to remove it after the first time it was used.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 12, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
No.

No one gets to fix tournament results. Tournaments are an Inalienable Right and a place where everyone can get together to see, in a wholly unbiased manner, who is the best swordsman and jouster on the continent.

Furthermore, any form of fixing would be so deeply exploitable we'd basically have to remove it after the first time it was used.
Not fixing the touranment but the draw of who fights who. If the best swordsman is actually the winner in tournaments then it should have 0 effect on the tournament, it simply makes sure you get to see who is better between two people instead of hoping.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton