Author Topic: error 504 gateway timout  (Read 7442 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: error 504 gateway timout
« Reply #15: October 14, 2013, 04:37:25 AM »
I don't believe this error has anything to do with either your computer or the BattleMaster server. I believe that "Gateway Timeout" means that one of the network routers (gateways) between you and the server has failed to respond within a timely manner. So it's a network issue, nothing that you or we can actually fix.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 14, 2013, 05:03:19 AM »
Cause of 504 Gateway Timeout Errors

The 504 Gateway Timeout error is an HTTP status code that means that one server did not receive a timely response from another server that it was accessing while attempting to load the web page or fill another request by the browser.

This usually means that the other server is down or not working properly.

So chances are that this is an issue with the normal route path from your ISP to the battlemaster servers. Upping your settings to include a proxy is changing the route path and correcting the issue. If this is some sort of work network, it is completely possible that the IT guys have filtered out battlemaster, and just use a poor way of doing it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 14, 2013, 07:03:44 PM »
JohnSnow, given the contents of your PM, the issue here is definitely your ridiculous security suite.

BattleMaster requires cookies, javascript, and many other things that your security suite is likely breaking that is causing the game to not function correctly for you. For example, character creation makes use of AJAX for certain information.

You will have to find and resolve the issues with that security suite yourself, or work with someone that is able to (like the vendor).
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: October 14, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »
BattleMaster uses and requires cookies to work properly. You can't play the game without them. If you are paranoid (we don't use them for any personal information or advertisement, only for running the game) you can delete them when you log out, but the session won't be set up if you don't allow us to set a cookie.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 14, 2013, 10:44:02 PM »
How does he not have problems with 90% of the internet if he blocks cookies and javascript on a regular basis?

JohnSnow

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 15, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
I have fixed all security conflicts by simply trusting the site, and changing a couple settings. That was the easy part, i did that as soon as there was a bigger problem then an occasional 'failed to identify' notice.

The problem is, even with that taken care of, the only way i can access the site using my console or laptop, is by using a proxy IP. I prefer not to use the proxy IP because it causes me an alternate headache, but at this point i seem to have little choice. The laptop fails to access the site without proxy even when i am on a different network (IE public hotspot)

Oh well.  I guess I can just keep doing it this way.  The only real problem with it is that I can't see any maps when using proxy server setting.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 15, 2013, 11:21:37 AM »
I have fixed all security conflicts by simply trusting the site, and changing a couple settings. That was the easy part, i did that as soon as there was a bigger problem then an occasional 'failed to identify' notice.

The problem is, even with that taken care of, the only way i can access the site using my console or laptop, is by using a proxy IP. I prefer not to use the proxy IP because it causes me an alternate headache, but at this point i seem to have little choice. The laptop fails to access the site without proxy even when i am on a different network (IE public hotspot)

Oh well.  I guess I can just keep doing it this way.  The only real problem with it is that I can't see any maps when using proxy server setting.

If it fails when you move to another network, the problem would appear to be on your machine. Since you mentioned that the proxy server is switched on via the security suite, I would suspect that there is still something that it is blocking under your current settings. The easiest way to confirm would be to switch the suite off completely and see if you can connect, but you perhaps would be unwilling to do that.

JohnSnow

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 15, 2013, 10:51:55 PM »
yes, i've already done it. Most of the security is on the network, when off network i have much less, but even when i disable it completely i get no results. Two different machines, same problem. My phone on the other hand, has no problem.

Security on or off, cannot access. Setting low or medium cannot access. The only thing that changes is when i use proxy feature. IT guy showed me how to use proxy without the firewall today, so i could have the firewall completely disabled and on a public network (He said i should not do that, but could try it for test purposes). i can acess the site that way, just like i can access it on my network with firewall on, and set to proxy.. But i can't see the maps (political, dynamic, travel), as usual, when I proxy.

JohnSnow

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 16, 2013, 02:39:34 AM »
Well it seems clear that that the Admins have looked into it,  and determined that my best guess was incorrect.  And I've tried every suggestion given.  I'll have to accept the issue as unresolvable.  Thank you all so much for trying anyhow.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 16, 2013, 02:45:42 AM »
Sorry we can't do more. I suffered the same thing at my last job due to overzealous and under informed corporate security policies

JohnSnow

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 16, 2013, 02:53:50 AM »
yeah, security is a pain.  I'm certain it caused this problem in the first place.

But better new, suddenly i am cured! About 10 minutes after my last post, i attempted to look at a map with the regular security settings (neither the lowered/trusted/disabled settings, nor the proxy turned on) and viola suddenly i arrived at battlemaster.org!

I wonder if my laptop has suddenly been cured as well...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 18, 2013, 02:00:14 AM »
I'm getting this error right now while trying to access anything in the battlemaster domain from my cell phone. (T-Mobile) When I turn on WiFi and user my home internet, everything works fine.

I'm the past, I have gotten this from my home internet, too. This isn't just one guys wacky security suite.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 18, 2013, 02:03:47 AM »
I'm getting this error right now while trying to access anything in the battlemaster domain from my cell phone. (T-Mobile) When I turn on WiFi and user my home internet, everything works fine.

I'm the past, I have gotten this from my home internet, too. This isn't just one guys wacky security suite.

The fact that you can connect via your home internet when your mobile is down suggests that it is a larger network problem associated with your ISP. With a 504 error if the problem is the BM server then most if not everyone will be unable to connect, no matter what ISP you use to try and connect.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 18, 2013, 05:18:42 AM »
I understand what it means. But it shows that the problem, whatever it is, is not just a single person. I've gotten it now with both my home internet provider,  Road runner cable, and my cell provider, T-Mobile. It is possible that this is a more widespread problem. If our ever happens on my desktop, i can run some traces and see if i can figure out where the connection is breaking down.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eirikr

« Reply #29: October 18, 2013, 06:37:50 AM »

For the record, my mobile network is also T-Mobile, and I have the same problem. It's not consistent, though; I sometimes get through, but never on the same day (or maybe at the same location) that I see the error.