Author Topic: Paused Characters etsates remain functioning  (Read 4025 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
I see no reason why estates of a paused character disapear, or why the characters don't receive any taxes.
If his lord doesn't want an inactive character then he can give bad marks and kick him/her.

This will also increase manageability of realms and allow people to play on an extremely low level of activity to a minimal extend.

It will also cause paused players to perhaps notify there lord before they pause(lower share so the lord doesn't kick the knight, advance for knight: a nice gold supply when he unpauses, advantage for lord: easier manageability of region and thus more income.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
When a character pauses, he loses his oath altogether.

Characters without oaths get no taxes (save realmwide), and have no estates, by definition.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
With the current character-system, I also see how this could be easily abused.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

songqu88@gmail.com

Oh yeah, definitely.

Your realm in trouble? Not enough estates? No problem, set your two characters in one realm to enlarge twice, and set them to do something. Next, pause them, make two new characters in that realm. Rinse and repeat until you hit your total character limit.

That's an extreme example of powergaming, but we all know it can and will happen.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, definitely.

Your realm in trouble? Not enough estates? No problem, set your two characters in one realm to enlarge twice, and set them to do something. Next, pause them, make two new characters in that realm. Rinse and repeat until you hit your total character limit.

That's an extreme example of powergaming, but we all know it can and will happen.

Yes but an example as that can easily be prevented.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yes but an example as that can easily be prevented.

Exactly—by not letting paused characters keep their estates.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

Ahaha~ We're spinning in circles yay!

Okay, I think we aren't getting anywhere with the way it's currently proposed.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I can see how keeping your oath and estate settings would be easily abused.

But, what if you could keep your estate while inactive but the tax share would drop to zero and the estate would idle? The benefit would be that if you've upgraded your estate you don't need to re-upgrade it. When the character is made active again you'd still have to negotiate for an oath again.

Is it worth the time to code the change for a minor benefit like that though?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
If Enhanced Estates ever gets implemented, then estates would be actual persistent things that knights would be assigned to. They wouldn't just disappear when the oath dissolves. An estate is a specific size, with specific buildings. When the knight leaves, the estate goes idle, but doesn't disappear. The lord can then assign it to another knight, who inherits the estate and everything on it, fully established. Maybe if it had been idle for too long some of the buildings would eventually fall apart from lack of maintenance. Of course, there's still a lot to be worked out for anything like this to be implemented. But estate revisions was the next big hot topic for the devs to work on.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
If Enhanced Estates ever gets implemented, then estates would be actual persistent things that knights would be assigned to. They wouldn't just disappear when the oath dissolves. An estate is a specific size, with specific buildings. When the knight leaves, the estate goes idle, but doesn't disappear. The lord can then assign it to another knight, who inherits the estate and everything on it, fully established. Maybe if it had been idle for too long some of the buildings would eventually fall apart from lack of maintenance. Of course, there's still a lot to be worked out for anything like this to be implemented. But estate revisions was the next big hot topic for the devs to work on.

How is it progressing btw?
I am very exited about it.
From some i hear it's soon and now i hear maybe never :P

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
It is not progressing much at all. The devs are trying to implement a new code structure, but it requires a lot of input from Tom, and he has been too busy with other things to put any real work into it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.