Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring and History: How to Be a Duke  (Read 2886 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
What it would be nice to see here: Explanations of all the different buttons along with how/when to use them, how to handle knights, how to handle lords, how to handle relationship with Ruler/realm, what to do with all that shiny, shiny new gold you have.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Read up on what Vellos wrote here first.

As a Duke, the most important thing to establish is your right of power.  You must have recognition in the realm and among most lords and other dukes in order to be successful.  Securing food supplies comes second to establishing your stance and following in the realm, as all else comes from that.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I was hoping we would have differing viewpoints!  I will approach the role of Duke with the fundamental assumption that it is your duty to make the duchy as productive as possible.  You After all, under the BM feudal system, Dukes have no more authority to behave independently than do Counts.  You are a caretaker of nobles, land, and production.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I think if both of those perspectives are presented (Dukes are primarily concerned with securing personal hegemony vs. Dukes are primarily concerned with ducal productivity) it could be very interesting, but most useful if a detailed discussion of mechanics comes first.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I use both perspectives. I use the well-being and prosperity of my duchy to exert political power :P

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
I assumed that the well being of his Duchy would be a natural consequence of being in command of the duchy, just like restoring his region should be the foremost concern for a lord. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.