Author Topic: Battle of Qubel Lighthouse - Death of Pierre von Genf  (Read 3454 times)

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The scribe respectfully bowed his head, extended his hands. "A letter for you, honored father."

Rabisu took the parchment at once, read it twice. He blinked, but there were no tears. He nodded at his scribe. "You have my thanks, child." Such was good enough as dismissal in these days of business and much to-do, and the scribe turned to leave. "Wait," he called out.

"Yes, father?"

He paused, gathering his thoughts like handfuls of leaves blown by the wind. "Have you ever looked out amongst your friends, your acquaintances, your fellow workers... and realized that while you knew them all, they were replacements for ones left or dead? That in truth, the men and women in your sphere of knowledge are, with a few exceptions, not the ones you had originally known?"

The scribe looked worried. "No... I don't think I have, father."

Rabisu nodded and sighed. "Cherish it, then, that you haven't. It is a weary thing to feel oneself grow ... older."

"Surely with age comes wisdom?"

He smiled sadly. "Only sometimes. And rare it is that with wisdom comes joy. It is rather like seeing each play the actors put on, knowing ahead of time that it will end in tragedy. Only instead of pig's bladder and colored rope, it's true blood and bowels, and the wails of the mourning innocents are genuine."

He shook his head. "Go," he said in a soft voice, "Return this time tomorrow. Today I must spend in my little grief."
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova