Author Topic: Heavy RP Region  (Read 4513 times)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Heavy RP Region
« Topic Start: November 01, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »
I wondered how hard it would be organize regions dedicated to heavy RP. Coordination of effort to reward players for heavy RP, and actually flesh out a bit of story behind certain dedicated regions. I see so many regions with little snippits of information and no real background. Why don't we have years and years of history for more regions on the wiki?

Wasn't sure about a posting this to feature request (since this could be done without any real changes to the interface), so figured I'd spitball the idea here.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy RP Region
« Reply #1: November 02, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »
I don't think it needs to be rewarded. Atmosphere and culture are their own rewards.

What would be a nice way to help this along though is if there'd be an automatic log keepings track of all the huge battles in the region. Imagine if that already existed and all huge battles fought since 2001 were listed on region pages, it'd give a nice feel of the history of regions and realms. In stead of it being lost when old players move away or realms die.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 03, 2013, 01:30:15 AM »
I wondered how hard it would be organize regions dedicated to heavy RP. Coordination of effort to reward players for heavy RP, and actually flesh out a bit of story behind certain dedicated regions. I see so many regions with little snippits of information and no real background. Why don't we have years and years of history for more regions on the wiki?

Wasn't sure about a posting this to feature request (since this could be done without any real changes to the interface), so figured I'd spitball the idea here.

Why don't we have years of history for regions on the wiki? Because no one spends the time to update the info in the long term. We have had many short term effort to do so, but they soon run out of momentum.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 03, 2013, 04:36:52 AM »
Why don't we have years of history for regions on the wiki? Because no one spends the time to update the info in the long term. We have had many short term effort to do so, but they soon run out of momentum.

That's the beauty of the region devoted to RP, is that once someone loses momentum they can step down from that lordship and a new person can take over and continue building on what was done. Imagine region descriptions with blurbs of past lords actions on the land, histories fleshed out through the years.

Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 03, 2013, 04:48:05 AM »
That's the beauty of the region devoted to RP, is that once someone loses momentum they can step down from that lordship and a new person can take over and continue building on what was done. Imagine region descriptions with blurbs of past lords actions on the land, histories fleshed out through the years.

That is the beauty of realms dedicated to RP, even when a few players/characters move on the realm continues to be Mecca for RP interactions and stories, oh wait.

Think about what you are asking here. For the new Lord to take over you need a Duke to back this. So it will last only as long as the Duke is interested, or a new Duke takes over who isn't interested, or the region is lost to a realm that isn't interested. Do I like ornate and detailed region history. I sure do. Is that enjoyment universal, nope.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 05, 2013, 06:21:12 PM »
A long time ago I had suggested that a wealth of events concerning specific regions be recorded. Kind of like a Character History for regions.  Logging things like realm changes, lord changes, major battles, revolutions, region description changes and all that. I always felt that this kind of history would be an awesome RP resource. It would also be cool if the history of each region was accessible via API so that adding a running history to the wiki would be easy (exclude the last x days or something). I know I would have loved to have such information available quite often.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 05, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
A long time ago I had suggested that a wealth of events concerning specific regions be recorded. Kind of like a Character History for regions.  Logging things like realm changes, lord changes, major battles, revolutions, region description changes and all that. I always felt that this kind of history would be an awesome RP resource. It would also be cool if the history of each region was accessible via API so that adding a running history to the wiki would be easy (exclude the last x days or something). I know I would have loved to have such information available quite often.

If I recall correctly this has been rejected. I think it was a matter of storage space in the database. It might be more feasible the records for x days was recorded (just like messages) and was provided to an API. You could then host your own system for recording longer time periods.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 07, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »
You are exactly right. I still love the idea though and will continue to dream...

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 07, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »
You can do that by just updating the wiki, no?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 07, 2013, 10:29:01 PM »

Yes, but the proportion of people wanting this detail is small (or wanting it enough to update the wiki). There is no way they could get access to ALL the data even if they had the time to update every region page and the like. Sure they can do it for the regions they do get the info for, but if you like that sort of detail you kinda want it everywhere.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 08, 2013, 02:13:54 AM »

The wiki could work as a repository, or even a long region description. If people agree that whoever takes on lordship (or dukeship) of a region adds a bit of flavor to the region (preserving its history). Even a short line like "From x day to x day Lord Somethingorother controlled the land and heavily taxed the peasants." or "On x day the entire population was decimated" when starved/looted empty.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 08, 2013, 02:42:28 AM »
The wiki could work as a repository, or even a long region description. If people agree that whoever takes on lordship (or dukeship) of a region adds a bit of flavor to the region (preserving its history). Even a short line like "From x day to x day Lord Somethingorother controlled the land and heavily taxed the peasants." or "On x day the entire population was decimated" when starved/looted empty.

That is never going to be a requirement for being a Lord. In fact using the wiki is likely never going to be imposed upon players period. I certainly would not endorse a player run effort that tried to impose this upon a region.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 08, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
If there are enough people interested, it wouldn't be 'imposed' on players, but I suppose you could say it would be imposed on those regions. If a few scattered people would like to see more interaction between the wiki and the game, then it's a dead idea. If a sizable enough group that could keep it running themselves are interested, then where is the problem?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 09, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »
If there are enough people interested, it wouldn't be 'imposed' on players, but I suppose you could say it would be imposed on those regions. If a few scattered people would like to see more interaction between the wiki and the game, then it's a dead idea. If a sizable enough group that could keep it running themselves are interested, then where is the problem?

But it would. Say 50% of the realm likes the idea, and a group form that runs it this way nicely for a good year or so. Now somehow another player gets control of the region, say by popular vote. They lack the time/inclination or whatever to maintain the system, yet if there are still a good group that like it, won't they feel under pressure not to break the link? If the group maintain it without input from the Lord I have no problem with it. But as soon as we have a situation where we are either restricting control of that region to a group of players willing to maintain the RP, or expecting whomever has control of it to participate, I have a problem with it.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 09, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »
But it would. Say 50% of the realm likes the idea, and a group form that runs it this way nicely for a good year or so. Now somehow another player gets control of the region, say by popular vote. They lack the time/inclination or whatever to maintain the system, yet if there are still a good group that like it, won't they feel under pressure not to break the link? If the group maintain it without input from the Lord I have no problem with it. But as soon as we have a situation where we are either restricting control of that region to a group of players willing to maintain the RP, or expecting whomever has control of it to participate, I have a problem with it.

If it runs on its own for a year, then we have a years worth of history behind it. If 50% of a realm are behind the idea, and the other 50% vote in someone who isn't behind it, then the idea will either go under for that region or someone else can write a snippet for that lord. In game they can monitor the region and maintain its history. Maybe check with the current region lord if they want to add anything.

Maybe I should look into a historians guild. I suppose the whole idea doesn't require the region lord to be apart of the concept. All it requires is a handful of people to keep tabs on a region and submit accounts to the wiki.