Author Topic: Strategic secession of Iato  (Read 23117 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Strategic secession of Iato
« Topic Start: November 06, 2013, 05:58:11 PM »
As long as the seceding realm stays out of the war there shouldn't be a problem. Maybe they'd agree to sign a non-aggression pact.

No, because Enweil obviously wants to reclaim its city, therefore anyone other than Enweil holding it is a hostile act against Enweil.

I don't believe there should be a problem even if they stay in the war.

It has been absolutely, 100% clear for RL years now that this was going to happen. The timing was up in the air, but the fact of it was totally public.

That Dominic is painting this as an obviously strategic secession speaks to me of a (somewhat understandable) lack of IC/OOC separation in this case.

The secession should be done after the war so that no strategic advantage is granted. Otherwise it's a stupidly bypass of the rule, anyone can just declare they'll make a colony out of every strategic enemy city before declaring war, suddenly making it all okay? This secession allows the flanking of Enweil, and recruitment in considerably closer to what Riombara can pull off, with much easier control and defense issues. Before the secession, distance from the capital was surely causing problems, tax limit was probably incredibly slow, and sending troops there would take forever. Alleviating all of these issues makes it much easier to deny Enweil the opportunity to reclaim it.

This seems pretty simple to me. Are riombarans joining in order to gain a capital next to their enemy? No, apparently there's only one character so far. Was it built up with military infrastructure pre-secession to more effectively wage war before seceding? No. Is the new realm going to be a riombaran copycat in diplomacy or forge its own path? Likely the latter. Did the planning of this secession start with 'we can gain a military advantage by having a new capital next to Enweil'? From what I've read here, I would surmise the answer is no. Is there IC reasoning/roleplay behind the creation of the new realm?

None of these answers seem indicative of strategic secessions to gain an advantage in a war that seems to have already been won anyway.

Remember, there is a difference between a secession during a war and a secession to gain a strategic advancement during a war.

All of these questions are just ways to ferret one out of a very simple rule, making it a useless and hollow one. If justifications can be given to make exceptions to the rule, then people will ALWAYS be able to find justifications, and thus the rule will NEVER be enforcable.

The war was made to carve out Enweil. This secession helps achieve this goal. Thus, this secession yields strategic advantages. The rest is moot. Building infrastructure will be easier now. Nobles will be able to join. Increasing strength will be considerably easier with the significantly alleviated bureaucratic and logistic burdens.

One cannot argue that it isn't a strategic secession just because it could have been "more" strategic. Plopping a puppet colony in the heart of your enemy's realm is a blatant strategic achievement.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron