BattleMaster > Magistrates Case Archive

Strategic secession of Iato

<< < (5/6) > >>

egamma:
Moderator note: please follow the forum rules.

--- Quote ---All replies need to follow these rules, or they will be moderated:

* remain strictly on topic. Information relevant to the actual case only. This goes especially for speculations, hypotheticals, variations - discussing of the this could be... if... kind are unwanted. We have a specific case before us and will decide that case, nothing else.

* be positive and friendly. Don't insult or troll.
* add new information. Repeating a point does not increase its truth value.
--- End quote ---

Telrunya:
Ruler of Riombara here. I'm not on these forums a lot, so I'll be slow to reply and can't read through everything carefully, but I can answer any questions from Riombara's side there may be.

The Realm of IVF had been planned ever since the end of the Invasion and it was the very purpose of this war. This secession was not done with any express purpose of giving some kind of strategic advantage and it's not some kind of satellite realm to allow Riombara to recruit on the frontlines (Besides, I believe it has like two mediocre recruitment centers). This wasn't a strategic move, I believe Riombara's intent has been clear in what they wanted to do. If anything, this secession is preventing Riombara from cashing their bonds on the frontlines and being able to stay there for much longer. As for maintenance problems, this whole secession wasn't exactly a well-timed move, Iato was stable and there were no issues with control (Not that that falls under Strategic Secession).

Tom's words on Strategic Secession in an earlier topic (http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,4434.msg113718.html#msg113718 for if I interpret it in the wrong situation):

--- Quote ---As in most of the "more lose" rules of the game (in contrast to the Inalienable Rights and the Social Contract), there's one good test:

If there is a discussion about whether or not, then it almost certainly isn't.

If the case doesn't jump out, then it almost certainly is fine, even if some people don't like it.

These rules are meant to stop blatant abuses of the game mechanic. They are constanly being abused by whoever gets shafted to whine and complain and try to get the devs involve in a way that would tilt the balance of in-game events.

--- End quote ---

I believe it is therefore quite intended that the rule is not broken a lot. It's to stop blatant abuse to circumvent the can-only-recruit-in-capital rule. That's not the case here. This is the recreation of a Realm that Riombara fought for to see happen.

mbeal44:
Hi All,

Firstly, please let me apologize for my lack of civility, it was unecsessary.  This whole thread is unsettling really as, conversely, it seems to me that a small group of players are using this rule to attempt to gain strategic advantage IG.  When this story line first began Marecs only goal was to bring back IVF and to right the wrongs they had carried out under the rule of his nemesis.  Throughout the past few months Riombara fought against multiple nations in a war to reclaim those lands and their intention was never to see the fall of Enweil.  Look at all the IG messages which will show this clearly.  They had no intention of declaring on Nothoi and certainly no desire to hold a huge amount of land they would struggle to populate.

The players of the opposition chose to guide their characters into a war against Riombara and refused to accept the re-establishment of IVF which sat in Iato and Fheuvenem.  It has always been made clear that this was the goal of Marec and Riombara, that these lands would be taken and IVF recreated here.  The path the opposing players took led to the utter destruction of Enweil and left Nothoi exposed.  Again that was NEVER the intention of myself and as far as I am aware the other key players within Riombara for our characters.  What we are seeing now is the purpose of this war being finalised as Riombara is achieving its aims along with Marec and the realisation of those opposition players is that they are about to see their time investment into their IG achievements to date flushed down the drain.  It has created an emotive response and they have used the only tools left in the box to try to avoid the inevitable, this complaint.

This is a fantastic game, but it is just that, a game with winners and losers.  Part of the joy is that it reflects real life on many occasions and the highs IG really cant be truly appreciated until you have had a few lows, but in this instance I strongly feel that those people experiencing the low right now, well, theyre trying to spread the pain a little with this insubstantial complaint.

egamma:
IF you have additional, NEW information on this case, post in this thread. Otherwise, post here: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,5295.0.html

And once again, may I remind people of the Courthouse Rules.

All replies need to follow these rules, or they will be moderated:

* remain strictly on topic. Information relevant to the actual case only. This goes especially for speculations, hypotheticals, variations - discussing of the this could be... if... kind are unwanted. We have a specific case before us and will decide that case, nothing else.
* be positive and friendly. Don't insult or troll.
* add new information. Repeating a point does not increase its truth value.
I'm probably going to start assigning points to those who violated these rules.

Geronus:
Since what happened is not in dispute, everything that's of any importance to the actual outcome of this case is likely to be discussed in the new thread that egamma linked, so please direct yourselves there for the discussion about the nature and application of the rule in question.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version