Author Topic: Systematically pausing/unpausing  (Read 9691 times)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Systematically pausing/unpausing
« Topic Start: November 06, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »
There is the player in a realm I play in who continuously pauses and unpauses his character there. Every other turn he does one of both, depending on which one he can. I understand that you are at liberty to unpause or pause like you wish, to fit your needs, but is it still okay if you go crazy on the pause-option for a longer period (over a week surely)?

Not even sure if this is a magistrate related question at all, but I figured here I could get an answer.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Systematically pausing/unpausing
« Reply #1: November 06, 2013, 06:59:47 PM »
When we introduced the new pause system and the changes to character limits, we were slightly concerned about someone trying stuff like this, but we thought we'd give it some time and see if anyone actually did.

I'd say the best course right now would be to send him an OOC message asking why he feels the need to do this, and warn him that he's skating very close to abuse of the pause system.

If he keeps doing it after that without a very good reason, then we will need to consider stronger measures.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 06, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »
A practical question then: will he be able to read my OOC message? I mean, he may just bluntly pause and not read it at all - and then it might vanish for him.
In addition: an OOC-friend of him (who plays in the same realm) claims he just cannot decide where to play, and therefore he chooses this method. I assume he sort-of plays in two realms at once right now.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 06, 2013, 07:03:53 PM »
A practical question then: will he be able to read my OOC message? I mean, he may just bluntly pause and not read it at all - and then it might vanish for him.

It won't vanish.

If he's switching back and forth between two characters, can you send it to both?

In addition: an OOC-friend of him (who plays in the same realm) claims he just cannot decide where to play, and therefore he chooses this method. I assume he sort-of plays in two realms at once right now.

That's not really a valid reason for this sort of abuse of the pause system. If he wants to play more characters, he can donate.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 06, 2013, 11:08:14 PM »
Would this be a certain advy character that pauses and un-pauses all the time?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 07, 2013, 02:00:55 AM »
Yes.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 07, 2013, 02:56:21 AM »
Is there any advantage gained from this practice?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 07, 2013, 03:03:55 AM »
Is there any advantage gained from this practice?

It lets one effectively play an extra character, even though it is at the cost of trading off some time of other characters.
Timothy Collett

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 07, 2013, 03:08:39 AM »
He's paused and then unpaused 12 times (each, obviously) in the last month. Ten of those in the last two weeks.

Next time he unpauses, I'll send him an OOC asking why.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 07, 2013, 03:40:47 AM »
He's paused and then unpaused 12 times (each, obviously) in the last month. Ten of those in the last two weeks.

Next time he unpauses, I'll send him an OOC asking why.

His "buddy" already answered that, apparently he can't decide which character he wants to play.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 07, 2013, 03:41:47 AM »
That holds up for pausing once or twice to make a decision. Doesn't hold up so well after 12 times.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 07, 2013, 03:42:45 AM »
That holds up for pausing once or twice to make a decision. Doesn't hold up so well after 12 times.

I think we all know that. At first I though maybe the reports were bugged.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #12: November 07, 2013, 05:36:21 AM »
Can you use this tactic to "scout" enemy regions/realms? What information is immediately presented to someone who unpauses?

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 07, 2013, 05:55:09 AM »
His "buddy" already answered that, apparently he can't decide which character he wants to play.
12 times paused/unpaused. That is a bit too much even for someone undecided? Dont we have some sort of cooldown period after paused/unpaused?  :-\

Can you use this tactic to "scout" enemy regions/realms? What information is immediately presented to someone who unpauses?
The one Freeman who keep paused/unpaused is an adventurer. Dont think he has much access to see army information. But if he use this pause/unpause tactic to "scout", doesnt this bordering on abuse pausing mechanic?
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

egamma

« Reply #14: November 07, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
Is this freeman on Dwilight, and a member of D'Hara?