Author Topic: Posts that do not provide evidence  (Read 32288 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Posts that do not provide evidence
« Reply #15: November 07, 2013, 02:10:00 AM »
Forget about the intent.

No, that's out of the question.

This rule is specifically about intent, as much as some people would like to make all the rules simple cut-and-dried, "Did this happen? Was it in a situation that was absolutely clearly that? Then punish!"

If that's all there is to it (Secession? Check! Friendly with parent realm? Check! During war? Check! Close to the border with the realm they're at war with? Check!), then we don't need Magistrates. All we need is a relatively simple algorithm to recognize 3 of those 4 criteria and post an alert, and a couple of humans receiving the alert to do the fairly simple check of "are they friendly with the parent realm?" and if so, press the "yes, punish them!" button.

But the Magistrates are supposed to actually examine evidence and make judgments, not just hide behind "I don't want to try judging intent, because people are hard to understand, and some of them will try to trick you!"

If that's just too hard, then what the hell is the point of having human Magistrates anyway?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan