Author Topic: Posts that do not provide evidence  (Read 32175 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Posts that do not provide evidence
« Reply #15: November 07, 2013, 02:34:19 AM »
Intent is bullocks, because you can't read minds. Intent is hearsay and propaganda. Intent cannot be proved.

This is incorrect. People can be deceptive about their intent. People can be vague about their intent. Neither is the case here.

And no it would not be simple to code, and you know it.

I don't tell you how to do your job, Dominic, don't you tell me how to do mine. I get annoyed enough when Tom tries to say what would and wouldn't be hard for me to code, and you don't have anywhere near his accumulated stash of forbearance.

If I say I could code something pretty simply, then do me the barest courtesy of believing that I know how to do my damn job.

Friendly with parent realm cannot be coded, and any attempt would be easy to game.

Which is why—if you actually read what I wrote—I said that part should be handled by humans with access to the relevant information. "Friendly with the parent realm" is generally much easier to determine than the broader "intent of a secession," and if it's not glaringly obvious, then that means that, well, those humans will still have to use the tiniest modicum of judgement. Which is something that most of us are gifted with.

Proximity is relative and arbitrary.

Not really. There might be a few edge cases to catch, but by and large, if it's a true strategic secession, it's going to be right on the border or as close as the realm can achieve. I can measure twelve different axes of proximity and compare them if you really want, but 99.9% of the time, it won't be necessary.

Heck, even war would be a poor filter, because that can be gamed as well by having troops loot while neutral, or by giving realms the ability to declare war on neighbors they know will split in order to turn planned splits into issues. This is not something a code can judge on.

Oh, please. I'm not bloody stupid, Dominic. I know how to tell to a pretty good approximation whether a realm is at war with another realm, regardless of diplomatic status.

So, in summary, thank you for assuming I'm an idiot who doesn't have a clue how to do my day job. That really tells me a lot about your general opinion of me OOC. Enough that I'm pretty much done responding to anything you say here.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan